rad to the power of sick

2 Weeks til my First Pro Race (Iceman Cometh)

Ok,

So in an impulse move, I decided to sign up for the Iceman Cometh in the Semi Pro/ Pro Category.

Ive neglected my high intensity riding through the better part of September, such that I can feel that my top end performance has slipped away. I still have plenty of endurance as ive been doing 2-3hr road rides fairly regularly, but like I said, that top end 90% mhr stuff seems like its gone.

So with three weeks to go I started doing some intervals 3x a week to try an revive whats left of my top end.

Ive been varying durations from 45s full out on day 1, 5minute endurance intervals on day 3, and then 45s full outs on day 5. Is it reasonable to assume that three weeks of intervals will bring back some of the muscle memory and cardio performance? I plan on taking 4 days off leading up to the pre-ride, and the goal is not to exhaust myself obviously, but just bring back some top end.

Help!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Why 4 days off?

rad to the power of sick
    I also DJ so one of those days is going to be pretty busy, plus ill be driving down from Toronto and staying at a friends.. dont know how much riding ill be able to get into that interval. Lastly.. a little rest after 3 weeks of intervals cant hurt.

mtbr member
    Maybe he meant why 4 days off for the other weeks...as in you are only doing 3 days of intervals. Or did you mean you would do 3 days of intervals plus other stuff?

I did a similar routine (strictly intervals) back in sept, and I have to say it didnt do well for me. I expected to see a big jump in my top end performance, instead it was a slight increase and a drop in endurance and mid-tempo, and I kind of felt like overall i might have become slower. I say if you are not riding at least 4 days per week, you are spending more time doing other things than riding.