mtbr member

1x10 without chain guide

I'm thinking about switching back to a 1x10, but I wanted to do it without a chain guide. Anyone have any luck on a soft tail with something like a shimano shadow plus rear derailleur and a single speed chain ring in the front? Or will I have to go XX1 crank?

Part 2, would be if I need a chain guide, who recommends what? I've used a n-gear with a bbg bash guard before. I have a Pual chain guide on my 1x10 cx bike, which works great. I just dont know how much the chain would be moving on a soft tail, as the paul seems a little small for that. But, I havent tried it.

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Well I found the answer to my own question. This company makes what looks like xx1 style chain rings, for use with a clutch type rear derailleur.

wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    I'm using the setup discussed here (XX1 crank, X0 type 2 RD & 11-36 10-spd cassette)
    Currently Riding 1x10 with Sram XX1 crankset and Sram X0 Type 2 10 speed rear derail
    2014 Seven Ti geared bike (in the womb!)
    2012 Seven Ti SS
    2012 Seven Steel SS w/rigid fork

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm running the XX1 derailuer 10 speed with no chain guide. If you don't already have a rear derailuer it is a good option as it is designed to only shift the cog and not cover front chain ring shifts in chain length. The straight parallelogram and upper pulley placement make for better chain management on the cog over other Type2 derailuers.

Bro Mountainbiker
    How does it shift with a 10 speed cluster and a 10 speed shifter?

For the record, the XX1 cranks are fairly inexpensive for what you get. I would upgrade to them for the peace of mind if you were planning on running no chain guide.

I believe those Wolf tooth components rings are like 1/3 of the price of the XX1 cranks....
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    How does it shift with a 10 speed cluster and a 10 speed shifter?

For the record, the XX1 cranks are fairly inexpensive for what you get. I would upgrade to them for the peace of mind if you were planning on running no chain guide.

I believe those Wolf tooth components rings are like 1/3 of the price of the XX1 cranks....
    yeah, the wolf tooth rings are $79. I was planning on getting 2 or 3 different chain rings, so I'd have the cost of the xx1 crank plus another 2 xx1 chain rings. I'm also curious how the xx1 rear derailleur works on 10 speed components.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you're racing, make sure you have a big enough ring for the fire-road descents. Last race the 2nd place guy had a 1x10, he spun-out on the fire road downhill, I added to my gap on him there with a 3x9.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    If you're racing, make sure you have a big enough ring for the fire-road descents. Last race the 2nd place guy had a 1x10, he spun-out on the fire road downhill, I added to my gap on him there with a 3x9.
    It is pretty tough to get spun out with a 32front 10 rear! Maybe he was running a 28t up front? Still, he should be able to pedal unless you guys were 35+mph.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yeah, you're probably right, - maybe he just took a break! I've got a 38x 11-32 (1x9) on my cx bike, it's just a little 'big' for the harder hills I train on, but about right overall imo.
    Sorry, this wasn't really answering your Qs... I'll go away now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    How does it shift with a 10 speed cluster and a 10 shifter?
    I'm using the XX1 shifter with the derailer set to the 10 speed cog. So Im only using 1-10 down from the top leaving out what would be the 11 gear at the bottom. I don't see why a 10 speed shifter would t work?

It is the fastest,quietest and most percise shifting I have ever experienced. It is on par with the Dura Ace on my road bike.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I ride a 32 ring with a 12x28 cassette. Works great for racing on trails. Not so much on fireroads or pavement.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    yeah, I was torn between a 32t or 34t. I ended up going for the 32t. I'm on a 29er with a 11-36 cassette. I ran a 32t before, but it was on a 26er. I do plan on getting a 34 or 36t though, for a faster race that I do that doesnt have as much climbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Is the chain specific to XX1 or the wolf rings?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bw_young View Post
    Is the chain specific to XX1 or the wolf rings?
    Well, the xx1 group is 11 speed, so, if your using the group then yes. But, people seem to be running 10 speed chains on the xx1 and wolf chain rings. Read through the linked threads, theres some good info!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I run a 1x10 with a 32 chain ring on a Pivot 429.
    For single track and fire roads in the northeast it a
    great option. Never had any problem of running out of
    gears unless I was riding a paved road, but this is mountain
    biking. I run a e thirteen chain guide and recently a type 2 rear.
    It works great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I am running a Wolftooth CR with a Shadow Plus rear Der and KMC chain. I have had no drops including an extensive riding trip to the SW US.
    I don't know if all chains can be used, but certainly a non-SRAM 10 speed chain is working great for me!

mtbr member
    @BW_Young
    We have not tested every combination for chain retention, but we have and our customers have tested KMC, SRAM, and Shimano chains with the Drop Stop rings. So far there have been no chain drops.
    The Drop stop rings work with 9,10, and XX1 chains.
    wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Update...

I've got a few technical single track rides in, some good testing situations, and not so much as a hint of chain drop. Really digging the setup!