g3h6o3

1UpUSA trainer : Am I one of a kind?

Hello folks,
    First of all, this thread is in no way to complain about the trainer or the company. I'm having problems with the product and it seems it simply is not suited for me.

So, as mentionned, I have a 1UpUSA CPR A-2000 that has been giving me problems. Basically, I burn through friction pads fairly easily and repeatedly. During the winter, I burned through 2 pads and now the flyweight has overheated and changed color. There is a serious problem with heat dissipation at least for my use. Most of my trainer sessions are 90-120 minutes long and I also do a longer 3+ hours ride once per week. I often throw some threshold work in those longer sessions so the trainer does generate a lot of heat, and this eventually leads to the friction pad burning which means I get an annoying buzzing sound.

1Up have been helpful by replacing the friction pad in the past and they do stand behind their product so I contacted them again when I noticed the pad being burnt again yesterday. I basically said I was annoyed and disappointed about the product and couldn't reccomend it to others because of the problems I experienced. Their answer follows:

I'm very sorry you are experiencing this problem. On the other hand, I cannot help but be impressed at your level of endurance. You are the first guy to literally burn up our trainer. This model has been out for over 3 years, and has made a great name for our company. I can exchange your current trainer with a Kurt Road Machine.
    Really, I'm the first guy to burn up the trainer??? Anybody else have problems with this trainer at all? I bought it based on the reviews and can't find reports of burning for the current model anywhere (the older model did have issues though). How can this be, my FTP is far from high at 250 watts or so...

Also, do you believe the Road Machine to be a better option? It seems like it, given it has a big heatsink but since I seem to be sent from hell to burn trainers I'm wondering if it'll suit me.

Thx
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    I have the 1UpUSA CPR A-2000 and although it does get very hot (i.e. you cannot touch it after the ride), it really does not burn through. Mind you, when I open it and clean it, it looks like it has been burned (the color is deep brown, for lack of a better description), but the pad is obviously not finished yet.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Fwiw, the road machine is a great trainer. I do 1-3 hour rides with mixed intervals and it's taken it all in stride.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    I have the 1UpUSA CPR A-2000 and although it does get very hot (i.e. you cannot touch it after the ride), it really does not burn through. Mind you, when I open it and clean it, it looks like it has been burned (the color is deep brown, for lack of a better description), but the pad is obviously not finished yet.
    The brown pad is what I get also. As soon as the pad get brownish I get a bussing sound when the trainer gets hot. It's the most annoying acute sound you can image, it makes me lose all concentration instantly. You don't have this sound at all?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1UpUSA trainer : Am I one of a kind?-p1010678.jpg  

Brant-C.
    we have two. no problems. you're just an animal!

we ride a 2hour session once per week and do anywhere from 70 to 90 minutes 3 to 4 times during the week.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    PissedOffCil: The brown pad is what I get also. As soon as the pad get brownish I get a bussing sound when the trainer gets hot. It's the most annoying acute sound you can image, it makes me lose all concentration instantly. You don't have this sound at all?

Nope, mine is very smooth and nice. Once in a while the resistance changes (goes up) without me doing much more than move around the saddle, but I suspect that reflects less than perfect alignment. It comes back to normal soon after. I now wonder if your alignment is off?
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    Pake French 75 track

Team Awesome
    I'd recommend the Kurt. It's pretty sweet.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Nope, mine is very smooth and nice. Once in a while the resistance changes (goes up) without me doing much more than move around the saddle, but I suspect that reflects less than perfect alignment. It comes back to normal soon after. I now wonder if your alignment is off?
    Alignment of what? The friction pad?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    Alignment of what? The friction pad?
    Alignment of the entire unit, including how the wheel goes on it. When it is slightly off, I feel some vibrations and more noise than usual.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My pad is brown and the heat is pretty hot. but I can't tell about the noise since I can't remember what it sounds like when new. I've sent it in once for new bearings. great trainer.

g3h6o3
    Interesting that so many people have the brown pad but no noise... You would know for sure if you had it, it sounds like a air strike attack alarm, super high pitch and super loud. The whole house resonates when it starts.

g3h6o3
    I received the Kurt Road Machine yesterday and gave it a spin in the evening. Although it is noisier than the 1Up, the noise isn't too annoying. It has very similar feel and I'm fairly certain I use the same gears for a given power output as on the 1Up. It seems to generate a lot less heat and the heat is concentrated on the resistance unit, not on the roller or flyweight, which is good news. The base is also much more stable than the 1Up and I really love the fact that I can leave the bike on the trainer and simply loosen the roller so the tire doesn't melt (Although I'm not sure it would melt since the roller doesn't get as hot)

Overall, a good trade unless you care about the noise. With that said, if you do shorter rides or are in a cool area (non heated garage for instnace), the 1Up is a very good trainer.