Thread: 1UP or KK

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

1UP or KK

It's time for a new trainer as my old mag unit has some serious issues going on. I was thinking either the 1UP trainer or the Kurt Kinectics Pro unit but cannot decide where to spend my money as they both have great reviews. I can get either for about $300 so the price does not factor in so I came here to ask the experts if anyone has used either trainer and is one better than the other. I am leaning towards the KK just because I can get it Monday or Tuesday locally AND it is locally supported as opposed to the 1UP where it does have a lifetime warranty, any issues would most likely involve shipping the unit back to the manufacture. Thanks in advance for any info on either of these two trainers.
    Jon
    Santa Cruz Blur XC (Not yet built)
    Trek Fuel EX9
    Jamis Dakota Elite
    Motobecane Outcast SS
    Trek 2200 ZR
    SUN Kruzer

Don't look back ....

KK Pro is more heat stable

I find the KK Pro to be much more heat stable as compared to the 1uP for doing Power Based Training. CycleOps has some good ones I recommend to my athletes as well.

mtbr member
    I've got a KK - couldn't recommend it more. Best trainer i've been on. Compared to my old mag trainer, it is night and day! I don't loathe turbo workouts so much now as I enjoy riding on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have the 1UP and have used it 2-3 times a week for the last year. If a problem does come up they will send you the part. You do not have to send the unit into them. Like I said I use mine all of the time(I hate training on it but it is a way of making sure I get good consistent workouts during the winter) and have had no problems except I had to clean the friction plate and balls once. Took less than 5 min to do. No matter which way you go a trainer is a great training tool.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've got both. I use the 1up trainer primarily for warming up before races since it packs down to a more manageable size. I like the KK if it's going to sit in the basement and not move. Both provide more than enough resistance to do intervals, but as far as closeness to riding on the road, the slight edge goes to the KK. Not by much. If you want it to be portable, I'd lean towards the 1up.