Learnin to race!

1st Race is today!

Today is the day. Headin out of the house in about 20 minutes to my first race. I have been reading all the posts that people have been posting to other newbies. My goal is to not break any bones and to not finish dead last. I think I am really going to enjoy racing. I really enjoyed the training for it. Wish me luck.

mtbr member
    Iím heading off to the races myself, in about 10 minutes. I hope you have a great day. Keep it fun. Post a race report.

mtbr member
    that makes three of us, I have an hour or so. Good luck and be safe, Jarrod

mtbr member
    I raced this morning as well. How were your races?

Learnin to race!
    Race Report:

That was one of the thoughest things I have ever done. The speed of those guys was amazing. I did accomplish both of my goals though. I finished and I wasn't dead last. THe greatest part was the feeling when I crossed the finish line. I definately have some areas for improvement though. Warm up was not nearly good enough. I definately think I will be racing again though. Overall it was a good experience though. Hope you all did well yesterday.

mtbr member
    My race also went well, I had a good warm-up, but then we stood around for 35 min waiting for everyone to get ready for a le mans style start. I have never been around that many fast riders in that tight of confines, and hearing people scream "carnage on the right, carnage on the right" was intense. Unfortunatly, my wife had a load of home work that still needed to be done, so we had to leave promptly after the finish, I would have loved to be able to **** around and shoot the sh with all the other racers, but oh well, there will always be time for that.
    Later, Jarrod

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin_Wookie
    Race Report:

That was one of the thoughest things I have ever done. The speed of those guys was amazing. I did accomplish both of my goals though. I finished and I wasn't dead last. THe greatest part was the feeling when I crossed the finish line. I definately have some areas for improvement though. Warm up was not nearly good enough. I definately think I will be racing again though. Overall it was a good experience though. Hope you all did well yesterday.
    Good job, you achieved your goal. Stay with it, every race you will gain more experience and have more fun.

I remember my first race. I entered the beginner class at the Sea Otter Classic thinking I was hot sh-t. Back then I was a little faster than my riding buddies so I thought I should race and show the beginners how itís done. I honestly thought I could win, I thought, ďafter all itís just the beginner class rightĒ? It turned out to be a very humbling experience. I was amazed at how fast everyone was. I suffered big time and bonked. I just barely crawled up the last hill and finished near the bottom of the pack.

Iíve done quite a bit of racing this year and Iím still learning something each time. Yesterday was a good race. Everyone in our class rode strong and did quite well with no major crashes or injuries.

Ö and itís always a good feeling when you cross that finish line.

mtbr member
    Race Report:

That was one of the thoughest things I have ever done.
    Yup, that's how the first one felt for me too. It was good to meet you out there at this weekend's Lake Bryan Race. Thanks for introducing yourself.

The best advice I can give you before the next one is ALWAYS show up a day early if at all possible, and get in at least one pre-ride lap. It lets you know what to expect during the race. I know you said you hadn't done one this weekend, and I'm sure that put you at a huge disadvantage right off the bat. Even more than the fact that it was your first race.

Don't take any of my advice too seriously though. Like I told you, I've only got three races under my belt, and have a LOT to learn myself.

Later,

Ian
    aka: the OTHER Wookie

Twin Six METAL
    Good Job on your first race. Just getting out there makes it a success, just think about how many people were sitting on their couches yesterday watching football.

As for the pre-ride, it's a must. I recommend that the next race you do, since you are in Texas, attend the Beginners Clinic put on by Team NRC/Pedalmasher. This way you'll become more familiar with the rules, learn some great tips by racers with a ton of experience, and get a guided preride with the team.

Keep showing up and racing, you'll get better.
    SpeedWorks Coaching Services
    http://www.speedworkscoaching.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    BTU Power Pedal??? I was there too. Raced begginer women's class. The course was a blast!! Are you guys gonna be at Lincoln Parish, LA next weekend?? How about Huntsville?? The TMBRA races are a ton of fun!!!

Oh yeah, and the pain never goes away, you just get faster!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k.buz
    BTU Power Pedal??? I was there too. Raced begginer women's class. The course was a blast!! Are you guys gonna be at Lincoln Parish, LA next weekend?? How about Huntsville?? The TMBRA races are a ton of fun!!!

Oh yeah, and the pain never goes away, you just get faster!!!
    I've heard that before. I was hoping it wasn't true. I was at the Bryan race, but I didn't care for the course. Just not my style. I absolutely hated the first couple of miles. Zig zagging on flat ground through tight trees in a dusty sand pit of a trail is not only boring for me, but a little annoying for a big guy (6'3", 210-ish) who runs wide bars. I clipped my bars and shoulders on more than one tree in there. I prefer a little rougher trail, more hills, less super tight flats.

How's Ruston supposed to be? I'm still debating whether or not to make the LOOONG drive from Austin. but the fact that I'm only ONE point behind 2nd place right now (see below), makes me want to go just to keep my overall points position intact. I'll definatley be in Huntsville, though.

http://www.tmbra.org/results/fall_06/html/bsm19.html

Ian Hall
    Beginner 19-29

Learnin to race!
    Not going to make it to Ruston. I am debating going to Huntsville. I liked Bryan. I thought the trail was fun. Not the dusty pit part. But i like single track. I think I am going to get into better racing shape and come back in the spring series. Not sure though. I am definately coming back for more though. Too much fun not to.

By the way Ian, did you get my email. I am not sure I had the right tag line on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I haven't ridden at Ruston, but the rumor is that it is one of the best trail systems in the south. Everyone I've talked to loves it. Lake Bryan was tougher than it looked. Passing was difficult because of the trees, and the sand made for some interesting cornering techniques!!

Ruston is about a 6 hour drive for me, but since it's supposed to be a really cool race, I'm going to drive up and camp the night before.

This racing stuff is so addictive!!! I race beginner women 19-29 and I'm sitting in second place overall. This is my first attempt at racing in a series, and I'm planning on moving up to sport in the spring.

Racing into shape is the best workout!!!

Learnin to race!
    Ruston sounds fun. Just can't do it though. Promised the misses that we would hang out in Austin and mess around here. That will most definately include riding Barton Creek or Walnut or something else fun though. When does the Spring Schedule come out? I would love to begin planning my next race. It truly is addictive. I keep thinking, when can I race again.

Then I look down at my leg and say oh yeah when that begins to heal.

mtbr member
    By the way Ian, did you get my email. I am not sure I had the right tag line on it.
    Nope. Try to send it again in case it went to my bulk folder and I trashed it without reading it. I got your PM in here though. My email is just my MTBR handle (at)yahoo.com. I also use the same handle on Bike Mojo too. Fee free to get ahold of me through that website if you want to organize an Austin area ride.

Congrats to Kelly for placing 2nd overall so far. That's great for a first timer (like me too). It looks like you'll have no trouble maintaining that spot as long as you just show up (and finish) the next two races. I'm going to have to work a little harder to obtain 2nd. Especially if we keep having a field size of 25 or so in the class. That made for a very busy start.

Kelly, if you're around the Austin area, I should put you in touch with my wife, Amy. She's noticed how much fun I'm having at the whole racing thing, and is considering entering the Spring TMBRA Series. Although she's been riding with me relativlely regularly for the last 8 months or so, she doen't feel quite ready to jump in this Fall Race Series, but I think she could use a little female encouragement, and possibly a part-time riding partner. Interested?

See you follks at the races. Come introduce yourselves any time (like Andy did ) Look for the big guy on the silver/white Kona.

Ian Hall

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The Spring Series starts in Feb., and the tentative schedule is posted on tmbra.org.

Hallin222--Sounds fun! Are you guys gonna be at Ruston or Huntsville?? I'll be at both (if I'm not injured by then ). Bring your wife out!! I'm just south of Houston, but I'm planning on doing the 6 hour at San Angelo and the 6 hour at Camp Eagle. I usually ride alone (just moved here 6 months ago), but love meeting new riders!!! Feel free to PM me.

The girls who race down here are tough, but everyone is soooo nice!!! Come over and introduce yourselves!!! I'm the girl on the KHS hardtail and I drive the yellow Xterra!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0