kid on a bike
    Apr 2008

170mm north shore cranks for XC

i can get a good deal on some raceface north shore DH cranks (link, a truvativ BB to match and a blackspire big ring protector for $100.

this would be to replace the acera/alivio crankset that's on my hardtail bike now. it's not given me any real problems but, come on, it's alivio.

the raceface would be a few ounces more weight, probably, and 170mm cranks down from 172.5, but it'd be bulletproof and one less thing to worry about while bombing over rough, rooty, hard clay and making me tap the brakes.

should i go for it or should i look for a more suitable [i.e. lightweight] XC crankset, like the turbine LP or similar?

mtbr member
    For xc, more weight is bad.
    Shorter cranks may be bad too.
    How tall are you?

bike rider
    Yeah, they're stronger but will make you slower. Save and look for XC cranks that are 175mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Go for it. Those cranks are real nice and the weight increase is negligible, especially since its so low on the bike. Crank length is definitely a personal preference thing too, 175's just happen to be about all you find and people say the leverage increase over 170's is necessary for mountain riding, whatever...truth is most shorter riders would probably benefit from 165 or 170mm cranks over 175's, and other people including myself prefer the feel they offer. Plus a few extra millimeters of rock/root/ground clearance is sort of nice. They almost definitely will not make you slower...maybe you'll ride different gear combinations in certain situations, but i doubt they'll make you slower...buy what you want, sell them if you don't like them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mattduth
    Go for it. Those cranks are real nice and the weight increase is negligible, especially since its so low on the bike. .
    Cranks are "rotational weight"...the worst kind. It doesn't matter that they are low on the bike.