Your Best Friend

The 12 hours of Sh!t bike

This forum is so serious, I thought I'd post up an idea I had for a fun race and see what you all thought. Maybe you could help me flesh it out.

Basic premise:

12 hour race
    4 Person teams, Coed ok.
    $400/team entry fee.
    BIKE PROVIDED! Big box store bikes of course.

Upon check in, each team is given a bike, in a box (sealed). One size fits all.
    Instead of a Lemans start, on go, each team will open the box and begin assembly. All included items must be installed. Safety is on you.
    Once complete, the designated rider takes off and does a lap.
    I should mention that I feel the course should be fairly tame with plenty of bail out options to return to camp.
    After the first lap, modifications can be made to the bike in order for it to keep running. For instance, break the derailleur? Replace with XTR, if you can.
    All racers must do at least one lap.
    Team with the most laps after 12 hours wins.
    All "bikes" still in running condition will be donated to charity after the race.

Ideas? Thoughts? Think it'd be fun?

Thanks!
    Winners get killer swag.

AZ
    banned
    Jettison the upgrading of parts imo. 8 speed XTR isn't that common anyway.

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

Ftw I would ride this if it was a 6 hr event

Your Best Friend
    Fair enough, why 6 and not 12? I personally think $400 entry is hard to justify even for a 12 hour race but you've got to cover the cost of the bike/event.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Jettison the upgrading of parts imo. 8 speed XTR isn't that common anyway.
    Well, we all know these bikes are going to break at some point during the race. We just need to provide a legal way they can be fixed. I guess it really doesn't matter?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've thought about a race format like this as well. I wonder how many racers out there would come out of the woodwork as not being very mechanically inclined. Those racers may also opt out of a race like this. I am sure most of the CAT 1 guys are pretty handy and know their way around a bike, but a lot of guys who take their bike to the shop any time something is amiss.

I would think a short loop would be beneficial as well.

A lot of people poo-poo on department store bikes, but I started riding on one and yea it was a big turd that weighed a bunch and I spent almost as much time tuning it up as I spent riding it, but it is still a bike and will work ok. It got me riding, which is better than no bike at all.

I think it would be interesting to have a race where the playing field is even. I have a feeling that the fast guys who are fast on their bikes would be fast on any bike.

However, I think the liability of having a race like this will be the biggest bummer. If a part breaks on a bike that someone brought themselves then they are responsible. If a part breaks on a bike that you provided and they get hurt, then you could be held liable.

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Fair enough, why 6 and not 12? I personally think $400 entry is hard to justify even for a 12 hour race but you've got to cover the cost of the bike/event.
    I feel with a dumbed down course you run the risk of racers being bored after a certain amount of time.
    It's a great concept and you can find ways to cut costs. 200 a team will be enough to cover a big box bike and time on the site

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMacMan View Post
    I feel with a dumbed down course you run the risk of racers being bored after a certain amount of time.
    It's a great concept and you can find ways to cut costs. 200 a team will be enough to cover a big box bike and time on the site
    Maybe, but $200 won't cover the insurance as well. I have thought about the insurance angle and honestly it's not that hard to cover.

I'm not really worried about the typical Cat 1 racer in this race, this is more of a fun, laid back everymans race. Plus you'd be surprised as to how many of those guys can do basic bike work which would include building a sh!t bike. Also, on a team of 4, better make sure at least one can wrench.

There are plenty of places to ride that are 6+ mile loops that aren't that technical that would be fun.

Good points! Keep'em coming.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Interesting idea. I would be concerned with something breaking that could cause serious injury when you treat it like you would a race bike. Chain breaking when you are going balls to the wall standing can be pretty bad, or a snapped tube weld

AZ
    banned
    After some consideration I feel that upgrades of points of contact would be appropriate and should be allowed. Saddles, grips, pedals.

workin' it Administrator
    My compatriots did this at the most recent 24hr in the Old Pueblo. They all shared the same walmart bike and just kept it running through the 24hrs. I bet the best thing to do would be to check with a local 24hr race and see if you can include a category in their race like what you are proposing here. Just have them assemble the bikes in the start areas and jump into the race when it is assembled. I think the only thing they swapped out was the seatpost so they could fit all their team members but they did it as a corporate team so they had 12 members to fit.
    Try this: HTFU