Thread: 100km enduro

mtbr member

100km enduro

Hi all

I have a 100km event to do in six days time. I have been training all year, May was a particularly good month with about three rides a week. June and July have been a bit sporadic however, with big gaps in training so I am feeling a little unprepared, to say the least. I have done no ride greater than 70km so far this year.
    With six days to go, what would be my best option to prepare, I realise that this should be the taper period, but should I go out for a couple of short hard rides?
    Also, another worry is that, I tend to get cramp in the longer races 50km+ any suggestions for avoiding it?
    FYI I have completed 100km events in the past so I am experienced, but it's been a while so just after a few refresher tips!
    Thanks.

Grip it and rip it.
    You should really post this in the endurance forum, you'd probably get a lot more help. Anyway, the overall volume should be greatly reduced with this amount of time to go. I'd say max ride should be an hour (including warm up and cool down), with some short hard efforts, nothing extented. Lots of stretching, keep rested and hydrated, and eat clean. The day before the event its good to go for a 40 min ride with some short burts and 1 minute semi hard efforts.

Of course, it greatly depends on your fitness. If you aren't very fit at the moment then be very careful how much you do, you may not recover in time for the race.

About the cramping, its really just about getting enough calories per hour. I think you can find a table to see how many you should for your weight, but i weigh 65 kg and take in 370 cals on hour approx.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Stretch as well as you can before and during the first kms. The other thing which you dont have much time too work on it but its very important is how long can you take to be sitting on the saddle, I mean lots of people dont finish long races due to the pain/discomfort of having such long rides and not because they run out of fuel. Besides that follow the normal rules: eat well, sleep well, drink alot of liquids and enjoy.
    Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride! View Post
    About the cramping, its really just about getting enough calories per hour. I think you can find a table to see how many you should for your weight, but i weigh 65 kg and take in 370 cals on hour approx.
    I completely agree with this but I also think that pace (going to hard) is an equal contributor to this