Giant Anthem

100k this saturday; have you done one? What was it like for you.

Do you race XC but do an occasional endurance race? I'm doing a 100K (60 mile) this weekend and hope to survive. The longest ride I've ever done is 3 hours so I'm a bit freaked out as far as how this will go. I do good in sport class and been racing for 3 years.

So post up your experience about how your endurance races go while being primarily a XC guy. Any tips would help-thanks guys

The race is in Ohio-anyone going?

http://www.ombc.net/index.php?option...aces&Itemid=65
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

Dirty South Underdog
    I'm doing the 100 miler. The most important things are to pace yourself early (don't leave the line like you're doing an XC race), and eat & drink before you are hungry & thirsty.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    I'm doing the 100 miler. The most important things are to pace yourself early (don't leave the line like you're doing an XC race), and eat & drink before you are hungry & thirsty.
    this is great advice... the last 25km is going to hurt no matter what, but if you pace yourself early and eat / drink enough it wont be torture.

mtbr member
    I've done lots of 100k ROAD rides and have ridden my mtn.bike over 150k but never at race pace. Make sure you eat and drink or you'll be hurting. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm doing it.

mtbr member

Hampshire 100

I ran the Hampshire 100 (62 miler) here in NH last year with no significant training prior to the race (learned an important lesson). It was 92+ degrees that day, and by mile 45 riders were falling like flies. I cramped like h*ll thru-out the race, stuck with it, and finished, last rider in. Moral of the story is; suck it up, don't give up when you think you should, and try and have fun, that's kinda hard at mile 60 and you're hurtin though, lol. Great advice from all the other posters, definitely don't treat it like a XC race, pace yourself, it's a long ride, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

If I was in Ohio I would be there! See you'all at the Hampshire 100

Always pushing harder!!!
    I'm a XC racer, but sometimes like today I do 50 miles involving road and trails. Tha trails are the same I raced 2 weeks ago, and my approach had to be very different. Pace yourself. Take it easy. My guess is if it would be my first time doing an even like this, I would just like to finish it and have fun!!! Like stated before, eat and drink well...you are going to need it!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    100 miler on friday for the heck of it
    Take lots of water and food. Most importantly, take money with you and restock your supplies before they run out. Nothing worse than bonking and realizing you still got 20 more miles to go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Roger, you've got the fitness man, so it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you stay on top of your nutrition and stay plenty hydrated. Stick with riders going your pace and trade pulls on the gravel sections. It'll help you rest and tick off the miles much faster.

I'm going to slightly disagree with some other advice. Don't absolutely kill yourself at the start, but don't be afraid to get the heart rate up a little bit. Last year there were horrible bottlenecks (picture 400 people trying to ride Mohican State Park at once...), and getting in front of those can save you some time and frustration.

- John

Giant Anthem
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawn P
    Roger, you've got the fitness man, so it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you stay on top of your nutrition and stay plenty hydrated. Stick with riders going your pace and trade pulls on the gravel sections. It'll help you rest and tick off the miles much faster.

I'm going to slightly disagree with some other advice. Don't absolutely kill yourself at the start, but don't be afraid to get the heart rate up a little bit. Last year there were horrible bottlenecks (picture 400 people trying to ride Mohican State Park at once...), and getting in front of those can save you some time and frustration.

- John

Good advice-I heard about bottle necks like this before in large races-wow I could just imagine how bad it would be to get stuck in one at Mohican. Thanks for the advice man!!
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I agree a LOT with what Jawn P said but I'll add....start eating in the 1st hour and make sure you take in at least 1 bottle an hour, you'll also likely cramp by hour 4. Take something with you to address this like e-caps or soy sauce packets..something!

Good luck!

COMBO - President
    Here is a video from the race at Mohican, minute 7 is just crazy.

Members who have read this thread: 0