mtbr member
    Apr 2013

100 - 120mm fork on my xc race bike

i've read the other posts on going from a 100 to a 120 fork, but they didn't really address my questions.

I currently have a FS bmc four stroke with 100mm front & rear fox float ctd suspension.

I do all of my training on the rocky trails out here and feel like i'm getting the **** kicked out of me.

I do local short track races and plan on entering some marathons (probably next season).

I also love to go exploring on my bike and it's most definitely my do-all trail/race bike.

I'm wondering if any of you have upgraded to a 120 front end, and what the pro's/con's are that you experienced.

My bike is capable of running a 120 fork w/o voiding the warranty, and the review I read on pinkbike where they stuck a 120 on it basically said the climbing ability suffered a bit, but the downhill ability soared. also said it slowed down the steering a tad.

I'm posting this on here b/c I'm weary of most reviews I read since they're almost always written by trail riders and not racers.

have any of you guys put a 120mm fork on your xc race bike (full suspension)?

if so, do you regret it, or love it?

or did it not make that much of a difference?

I dont want to sacrifice the climbing ability, but i'm skeptical that a 120 is really that bad. a friend of mine rides a santa cruz tall boy w/ a 120 fork and absolutely murders me on the climbs.

thanks in advance,

~James

mtbr member
    IMO, if both forks have lockouts and similar threshold mechanisms, then it's same same.

But with longer fork you will have bike geometry differences:
    -bb height will be higher, so it will corner different but have more pedal clearance.
    -slacker steer tube angle will steer slower but more stable, but may wash out more
    -front end will be higher but you can reduce stack to lower the front end, and get more weight on the front wheel to keep it on the ground. Getting the front end lower may be a problem on a 29er.

I had a talus fork years ago that adjusted from 3-5 inch travel on a GF sugar. Overall I preferred the taller setting for more pedal clearance. But it does depend on bike though.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    thnx!

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I went from a 120 to a 100 on my hard tail. Made it much more responsive, but it doesn't feel like as much of a monster when the trail goes down. Both are good, but a bit different.

I also swithced my primary race bike to a 120mm full sus this year. From end seemed to wash a bit, but I then changed to a tire with nobbier side walls and it seems pretty tight in the corners now. From gets a bit light on really steep climbs, but not terrible.

This is also my everyday fun bike, so I would rather have a bit longer travel to hit some more technical places. Depending on where you are also, some of the race courses may be better suited for a 120. Hear in the mid-Atlantic, we have a few that are really rocky!
    - 2013 Pivot Mach 429 C
    - 2010 Niner MCR
    - 2009 Cannondale Super Six HM
    - 2007 Santa Cruz Super Light