mtbr member
    Jun 2008

10 mile race/ what to eat

I am racing at 10 mile race on sat. The race is at 9am what would you eat and when. I was thinking 2 eggs and a bagel at 7, then an apple or banana half hour before the race. I was thinking I should maybe do a clif bar half hour before but i don't want to fill full.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    What do you usually eat? I'd suggest trying to stick to your normal routine unless that is something like steak & eggs. Two eggs and a bagel 2 hours before the race and then some fruit later on is something that would definitely work for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i normally eat a bowl of cereal. but that leaves me starving 2 hours later. So if i eat what i normally eat I will be starving at race time.

Fat-tired Roadie
    You must eat something else after breakfast, if your usual breakfast isn't enough.

Why not just do that?

If you don't usually eat eggs and then ride, I wouldn't recommend trying it on a race day. I have my usual breakfast, involving three eggs, before a 2-hour XC race, but it's a few hours before, typically, and when I'm doing a 30-minute 'cross race, I cut it down to one egg. I think eggs are hard enough on my stomach that if I'm doing something as intense as 'cross, I need to be cautious about them. Eating enough the night before is important.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Waiting for Godot
    Quote Originally Posted by jcufari
    i normally eat a bowl of cereal. but that leaves me starving 2 hours later. So if i eat what i normally eat I will be starving at race time.

just eat the same bowl of cereal again 2 hours later........lol...j/k

you may feel hungry, but you won't need more nutrition. you will have an empty stomach which is actually good.

the way it works is your body works really hard to replenish all your nutrition right after your last workout. if you haven't worked out in a while it is constantly just topping off the tank unless you go a long time without eating.

breakfast is just filling your stomach and slightly topping off the tanks. most people over eat this time of day anyways.

most important rule is do not eat 3 hours before a race. especially a short 10 mile race. your body already has all the nutrition you need without eating anything. eat a gel shot or any bio available food 20 minutes before the race. this will keep you "even" for the starting sprint and race anxiety.

eating anything complex(meat) or short chain sugars will just sit in your stomach because your body suspends or really slows down digestion when heart rate gets close to your lactate threshold.

drink water before a race. don't over do it, but water will fill you up and is always good to have in your body. if you drink too much(its hard to do unless you try or are nervous) you will get your salt imbalance and not have enough salt in your cells.
    Out riding, leave a message

mtbr member
    While not perfect, my race day for an one hour race:
    50-60 carbs finished 3 hours before the race start time,
    an it is usually a can of Chef Boyardee raviolis.
    I also drink 2 cups of coffee, if it is morning, one if after noon.

A serving of First endurance EFS about an hour before race time.
    could sub with regular Gator aid.

If it is a really hot day I will sip on a gator aid low cal/carb up un till
    I am ready to line up.

Some time I have some FRS chews about half an hour before I line up,
    or right when I am warming up.

I have pre measured water in my camel back base on time and temp,
    adjusting mostly with how much ice I put in.

I have 2 sections of a clif shot block, with caffeine on the start line'
    and the rest in my pocket, but not needed for an hour race. They take
    a little while to digest, so I guess they start to kick in just before I am
    half way through.

As soon as I am off the bike I drink a serving of First Endurance Ultregen,
    a little later a chocolate milk. Very important to feed the body in under
    half an hour. and a Pizza when I get home, or some other carb food
    if I hang around a while
    The stains on the packaging indicate freshness

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So i think i'll eat a bowl of cereal, and an apple or banana at 7. Then do a gel or a clif shot bloc at the line.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just found out the race changed from 10 to 15 miles. Probably going to have to eat a gel or shot bloc during the race.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't like to eat anything while I'm waiting at the line. Sometimes the start can be pretty intense. I frequently eat a power bar while I'm warming up or preriding, though.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I normally eat 3 eggs and a bowl of cereal(with a banana) for breakfast daily, but on race day I switch it up to just the cereal(and the banana), 3 hours before race start. Nerves will keep you from feeling hungry, as the breakfast on race day (for me) always takes longer to digest than normal.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    3-4 eggs over easy, 3 slices wheat toast and a quad shot of espresso (sometimes I have steamed milk), this is my normal breakfast.

I'd take a bottle with 2 scoops of accelerade in it. and now that you said its 15 miles, maybe a small bottle of accellerade and a small bottle of water since I blow through fluids.

mtbr member
    race nutrition is all about duration. How long will the 15 miles take? You're borderline if it will make much difference what you eat. However, a hard 15 mile course could be 2 hours in which case you probably want to gels.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Members who have read this thread: 0