mtbr member
    Jan 2004

1 front chainring racers use a 2x or 3x for mtb training?

For those who own a 1x9, 1x10 or SS race bike, do you also do your off-road training on that race-specific setup?

I know many of you use a road or cx bike for training, but I'm asking about the mtb. Or is the setup and gearing on the 1x too "racy" for lack of a better word and not allow you to do lower intensity or longer riding on the dirt so you choose a 2x10 or 3x10

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I do all my riding on a 1x10 setup. Surprisingly, I found the higher gear made everything easier to climb, no harder. My training trail finishes with a 300 foot vertical climb you do in all of about a quarter mile, so steep as heck and it just keeps going. First time riding the trail, I was dreading it. Wound up climbing it in record speed and felt so good I turned around and did it two more times. Never even considered doing that when I had a granny.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    1 X 9 here. Train and race on it. I love it. Once in awhile, I regret not having more gears. I may switch back to 2 X 10 if I start getting by butt kicked this coming season

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    1 X 9 here. Train and race on it. I love it. Once in awhile, I regret not having more gears. I may switch back to 2 X 10 if I start getting by butt kicked this coming season
    Upgrading?

I used a 1x9 long ago when I first started racing (weight savings and ease) and as soon as I went back to 3x9 I never looked back. I was using a 29T chain ring on a 29er at the time with 11x34. That being said, while I have been spun out maybe 2-3 races on my 2x10 (26-39 with 11x36 cassette) I much prefer that over 3x10.

mtbr member
    1x9. Race on it, train on it, love it! I rarely spin out. I can maintain 24 mph on flat pavement with it (not for long though). Thats about as fast as the gearing will allow. 32t front, and 11-34 in the back. its great for crushing people on the hills who are spinning their granny gears.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a 1x9 on my HT. 36x11-34. I love it. Couldn't be happier. If only I could get my chain to stay on >.<

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Airskank View Post
    I have a 1x9 on my HT. 36x11-34. I love it. Couldn't be happier. If only I could get my chain to stay on >.<
    What chain guide are you using?

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by miss rides a lot View Post
    Upgrading?

I used a 1x9 long ago when I first started racing (weight savings and ease) and as soon as I went back to 3x9 I never looked back. I was using a 29T chain ring on a 29er at the time with 11x34. That being said, while I have been spun out maybe 2-3 races on my 2x10 (26-39 with 11x36 cassette) I much prefer that over 3x10.
    Yes. I will have the honor of staring at the back of Justin's and Ty's etc bikes for the first 100 yrds and then congratulating them at the finish line. haha..

Wish me luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Yes. I will have the honor of staring at the back of Justin's and Ty's etc bikes for the first 100 yrds and then congratulating them at the finish line. haha..

Wish me luck!
    Don't forget Marco, Eric Bostrom, and likely Gary Douville. That's going to be one stacked podium

FWIW, USAC allows you to race down an AG. #justsaying

mtbr member
    This may or may not be relevant info, but I've found that I am capable of training on a bigger gear than I can race on. Both on SS and 1x9 I can hammer it on a bigger gear, but come race day my legs will get bogged down and I need to be able to spin a bit more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2 View Post
    This may or may not be relevant info, but I've found that I am capable of training on a bigger gear than I can race on. Both on SS and 1x9 I can hammer it on a bigger gear, but come race day my legs will get bogged down and I need to be able to spin a bit more.
    Probably because you are working harder (and moving faster) on the parts between the steep stuff during races... During training rides, you will recover better between climbs if you don't push as hard, which enables you to hammer up climbs in a bigger gear. Familiar feeling for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I raced/trained on 1x9 (32-11/34) all year and finally upgraded to a 1x10 (32-11/36) just recently. The extra bailout gear is going to be nice for the marathon series. I would never go back to multiple front rings. I don't see any meaningful advantage to them out here in central TX.