mtbr member
    Dec 2006

1.5 hour race nutrition ideas. I just drink water and I wonder what I am missing.

By no means a "real" racer here. I usually end up top 3-5 in Cat 2, XC races, usually around 18-21 miles. I am a runner by nature, but not a marthoner so I never bought into the gels/drinks due to never feeling like I need them (always races under an hour). Not in the best shape this season, which might be depressing come my first race this season (but I am not in the 30-39 class...so at least I don't have to race the high school equivalent of myself (I would have been amazing in high school if I knew this existed...ifs and buts)).

Now that I am maintaining high intensity for longer periods, I feel like my legs might like a little juice. I am a HEAVY sweater which might come into play for suggestions.

What would you guys try first? I have an iron gut...aka I could probably eat a 5 course meal mid ride and not get the urps. I just want to know what you more experienced folks prefer and will think will work for non-enduro racing.
    El Guapoooooooo

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I like to do drink mix and water (if it's warm out, I generally can't race with mix, have to use water for hot races, but for multi-lap races it's nice to have the option of both/either) and a gel shot 15 minutes before as well mid-race.

We've had great experiences with First Endurance EFS, and I've used Cytomax with good results as well.

Test whatever you go with in high intensity/interval training before your big races.

I usually eat a snack of almond butter and banana about 2.5-3 hours before my races (they're usually around 11-11:30), and breakfast early in the morning.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    When I raced Cat2 I just drank water. At that length your body has the glycogen stores to get you through.
    When I started racing Cat1 however I found my 4th lap wasn't consistent with the previous, so I started using HEED. I mix it 2 scoops per bottle or 200 calories a bottle and try drink a bottle an hour. That has improved my consistency.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I take a gu every 40 mins- an hour. Its really fast if you tape the rip tab to your top tube.

I drink 50/50 gatorade and water for a few added calories that are taken in continuously.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    At zone 4-5 riding i go a little flat at the 45 minute mark. A gel rejuvinates me and im back fresh. Gatorade powder is also a good deal and you can adjust it to your needs

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    ...At that length your body has the glycogen stores to get you through....
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner....

Water with maybe a little sugar/electrolytes at most. It won't turn a donkey into a thoroughbred, but it would be a little insurance. I am presuming you've had a decent dinner and breakfast.

As CB2 stated, around the second hour eating definitely comes into play. At 1.5 hours you are running on what your body has stored.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by asphalt_jesus View Post
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner....

Water with maybe a little sugar/electrolytes at most. It won't turn a donkey into a thoroughbred, but it would be a little insurance. I am presuming you've had a decent dinner and breakfast.

As CB2 stated, around the second hour eating definitely comes into play. At 1.5 hours you are running on what your body has stored.
    Winner winner chicken dinner! I can race or train hard up to the 2hr mark with out eating. I like to ride and train with a sizeable food load in my stomach though. I eat a little but I eat it alot on race days and before a ride. I eat right up until I start my warm up on race day.

mtbr member
    when you consider warmup in your time, a 1.5 hour XC race is +- 2 hours. I think a 1 hour race may keep you within glycogen stores but I doubt it. You should be warming up longer and harder for shorter races. And, the glycogen clock will still be ticking for the 15-20 min of staging. For cat2, I would treat it as a 2 hour exertion.

Last year (cat2), I was running an endurance formula (targeted at 2+ hours) My current formula from Infinite is mostly targeted for short racing but I added a small amount of protein because I think it keeps better balance. The only race I used it in ended early. Only thing I didn't like with last year's nutrition was it was strong flavor. I turned it to almost no flavor this year and it is a little less sticky in my throat.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Also vouch for cytomax, I'd just not recommend 'jumping' right into a full blown cycle of it (3 bottles/day).

In college we used to wean ourselves onto it for 3-4 weeks before champs, worked wonders. In my early 20's I tried jumping right into the 3 bottles/day AT hurkey creek 24 hours, ended up dehydrated, puking stomach bile and in the emergency room passing out on the floor. I guess my stomach shut down and wouldn't take ANYTHING (including water). Needed 3 liters of IV over the course of the night, didn't have to pee until the end of the third bag. Not fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I use Infinit, and love their stuff. I did a 100 miler last year, and only used this for nutrition, and it kept me going with no problem

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    Winner winner chicken dinner! I can race or train hard up to the 2hr mark with out eating. I like to ride and train with a sizeable food load in my stomach though. I eat a little but I eat it alot on race days and before a ride. I eat right up until I start my warm up on race day.
    I am glad I didn't listen to the "do nothing under 1.5 - 2 hours" crew. I ended up taping a gel to my bike, ripping it off after an hour, and feeling pretty good come the last lap. I grabbed a 1st place finish. I still bonked due to my fitness (or lack-there-of), but I am fairly certain I would have done so earlier by doing just water. The race was a claimed 18 miler, but ended up being 21 miles, filled with mud/grease, and took me 2+ hours to finish.

Thanks for the tips folks. If the race was a mile longer I would have been 3rd or 4th place. I need to get my ass in shape, but from here forward I will at least be doing something beyond water to make sure I don't end up a cramped, blacked-out, tired, piece of trash.

Now to work on my fitness. If this race was any less technical I would have been a goner.
    El Guapoooooooo

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    For 1.5hours, I do water and Gu gels.
    Turning the pedals faster every year.