mtbr member
    May 2011

$1000 to spend - road bike for training or mtb upgrades?

I have a $1000 that I can spend right now and my lbs is having a big sale. I am debating between getting an entry level road bike (Raleigh revenio 3.0) for training and commuting or putting the $ toward upgrading my mtn bike ( currently on a Spec. Camber comp). Upgrades I have been thinking are converting to tubeless, getting a legit bike computer for trainging info, maybe new brakes....

My racing season is pretty much over till early spring and my mtb bike as is is great for the trails so not sure how soon I would reap the benefits of upgrades and in the back of my mind I have been thinking I would get a new bike for next season.

So would it be worth dropping $1000 on a road bike I will likely ride ~40miles a week on? Or should I save my money for upgrades or even a new Mtn bike in a few months?

Open to any and all suggestions, all input is greatly appreciated, Sale ends today! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    If you care more about training for next season, spend it on a road bike.
    If you care more about upgrading your MTB and just riding that, there you go.

IMHO a road bike is the best way to do focused interval training (short and long intervals). That will all come together with your technical skills when you're on your MTB, but a road bike will help you out a lot over the off season to build next year's foundation.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    If you are not 100% sure you want a new bike, then just hold on to your wallet.

It's not a good deal if you don't really want it/ need it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the advice, what I'm most unsure about is wether or not I do need this bike, it is a great price and I think I'll cut down on my driving but I don't want to cut down my trail time as a result, overall I want to get stronger for next season....I also have been looking for a single speed mtb

mtbr member
    Looking at that camber comp for racing, I'd rather get something more racey. I would upgrade the MTB first.

You can find a nice used road bike for <$500. If it has a good saddle, standard crank lengths and Q-factor, then it's same-same (unless you are racing road). For years I used an old Schwinn Circuit with down tube shifters ($250), and it worked just fine. Even used it in club rides. Excellent commuter bike.

Single speed MTB is a waste of money IMO, because you can do singlespeed training with a geared bike. Just don't change the gear.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

buy the road bike

but if your looking to buy a new one its going to cost closer to 2k for a decent bike. after shopping around and testing ever bike i could, i purchased a 2012 trek 4.5 for 2300 otd.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What kind of brakes do you have now? If mechanical maybe upgrade to hydro.......Otherwise I would go for a road bike.

You might as well race road bikes too

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    Looking at that camber comp for racing, I'd rather get something more racey. I would upgrade the MTB first.

You can find a nice used road bike for <$500. If it has a good saddle, standard crank lengths and Q-factor, then it's same-same (unless you are racing road). For years I used an old Schwinn Circuit with down tube shifters ($250), and it worked just fine. Even used it in club rides. Excellent commuter bike.

Single speed MTB is a waste of money IMO, because you can do singlespeed training with a geared bike. Just don't change the gear.
    Very much agree with this.

I don't train on my $100 bike. But it also doesn't fit me that well - if I'd been willing to spend more, I could probably have been pickier too. Anyway, it gets me to and from work, and aside from the fit thing, the performance differences between it and my nice road bike are really pretty slight. You just need a training bike to fit well, and go, stop, and shift.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Dirt Huffer
    What are training on right now?

Are you using your race bike to do training or a separate mt. bike?

You said you wanted to upgrade to "getting a legit bike computer for training info" Are you training with a HR monitor at least?

Personally, I would get the right training aids first, like a Garmin Edge 500, then look at a cheap used road bike. I train an old mountain bike on the road and its OK for training but I wish I had something a little faster to go places and make it more interesting.
    26" for life!!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by IrieRider View Post
    ....I also have been looking for a single speed mtb
    careful....SS's are hella fun.

you may find yourself riding it more than your geared rigs...

yes...i am being serious

To answer the OP - a road* bike helped me the most for my training. It's really hard to get sustained power output and base miles on MTB trails...

not to mention riding a MTB on the road just sucks....

as mentioned above - make sure it fits....

* i actually have a CX rig....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Riding on the road has improved my fitness x10 and like stated before the gains totally transfer over to the trails.

Look into a 2012 giant defy composite 3. I'm picking one up for my gf this weekend. They retail for about $1500 canadian and if you're in the states their prices are always lower.