Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

young girls riding gear

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  tink bell 
#1 ·
Hi ladies, got a question for you. My 11 yr old daughter has gotten the riding bug and i'm really struggling to find shorts/jerseys, etc for someone thats is petite. The LBS here doesn't carry much for kids clothing and it is hard to guess sizes from the online shops. She is 4' 1" and 75lbs with long legs. She did her first XC juniors race this fall and really had fun. She mopped most of the older boys to boot and was hooked. She won her 2nd race as well and wants to race the whole series with me in 08. Her only complaint was her regular shorts rubbing her the wrong way on longer rides.

Any good online shops to deal with on womens/girls riding gear?
Any sizing advice or is it just hit and miss?

Thanks!

#2 ·
When my girls were that age they fit a women's XS. Look for shorts with shorter inseams. They wore Psoas and Pearl Izumi short shorts and both had good padding. Youth shorts tend to be less padded than adult shorts. Check Ebay. You can usually find cycling clothing in women's small sizes.

#4 ·
buconine said:
Hi ladies, got a question for you. My 11 yr old daughter has gotten the riding bug and i'm really struggling to find shorts/jerseys, etc for someone thats is petite. The LBS here doesn't carry much for kids clothing and it is hard to guess sizes from the online shops. She is 4' 1" and 75lbs with long legs. She did her first XC juniors race this fall and really had fun. She mopped most of the older boys to boot and was hooked. She won her 2nd race as well and wants to race the whole series with me in 08. Her only complaint was her regular shorts rubbing her the wrong way on longer rides.

Any good online shops to deal with on womens/girls riding gear?
Any sizing advice or is it just hit and miss?

Thanks!
at 4'1" and 75 lbs most women's size XS are going to be too big for her. i'm a foot taller and weigh about 30 lbs more than your daughter and have trouble finding XS shorts small enough to fit me.

the suggestion to look at Hincappie size XXS shorts is a good one. Verge also makes shorts in XXS, XXXS and some other really tiny sizes. european companies, such as Assos, sizes tend to run smaller than american companies (such as Sheebeast) but they also tend to be very pricey which probably isn't ideal since your daughter is still growing.

rt

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.