Thread: Wool jerseys?

Displaced Southerner
    Dec 2004

Wool jerseys?

Well, tis the season for riding in the dark and long sleeve jerseys...

So, any of you (gals) tried a wool jersey? I've heard great things about them, I'm just wondering if anyone makes a good women's specific one. I found a Swobo one, and Spot makes one as well...just wondering if anyone has a preference or advice on other brands to consider.

Thanks~
    ca
    Whatever you can do or dream you can do, do it now. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.
    ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam

So, any of you (gals) tried a wool jersey? I've heard great things about them, I'm just wondering if anyone makes a good women's specific one. I found a Swobo one, and Spot makes one as well...just wondering if anyone has a preference or advice on other brands to consider.

Thanks~
    ca
    Never tried one, but, if they are as nice as wool socks they would have to be great.
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a Surly jersey, which rocks! I also have several vintage jerseys which I aquired second hand as my friends either shrunk theirs or grew.

Edit: Where the heck did you find a Swobo jersey? I've heard rumors of their return, but haven't seen evidence of product yet.

mtbr member
    I have a wool jersey. (Well actually a wool long sleeve stretchy fitted shirt - no zips or pockets or anything). It's wonderful. Breathes well, keeps me warm and dry. I use it whenever riding in cold weather and use it even more for skiing. Love that thing.

Displaced Southerner
    Dec 2004
    Yeah, I've heard rumors of their return as well, but their website just says "coming soon" or something like that...the Swobo I found was on e-bay, looks like someone bought it back in the day for their non-biking lady in hopes that trendy apparel would lure them into the sport. No such luck, so he's selling.

Thanks for all your responses!
    carol ann
    Whatever you can do or dream you can do, do it now. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I wear wool as a base layer for skiing. It keeps me warm and dry and doesn't retain da funk like synthetics do. I suppose it would work well for biking in the cold too.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam

Thanks~
    ca
    I have two swobo jerseys and one spot wool jersey. The swobo ones were all obtained secondahrd (swap meets and ebay). They are really nice and warm - they are short sleeved. The spot one I bought at sea otter last year - it is long sleeved - and it is so warm. It is actually really nice looking and I have worn it just as a sweater on occasion too (not after riding, though!).

Preference? I'd have to say the spot - maybe because it has the "newer" type of wool - but one of the old swobo ones gets a stinky sheep smell sometimes, and the other is a little shrunken with the years. The spot one though is great, feels good and never stinks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    I have two swobo jerseys and one spot wool jersey. The swobo ones were all obtained secondahrd (swap meets and ebay). They are really nice and warm - they are short sleeved. The spot one I bought at sea otter last year - it is long sleeved - and it is so warm. It is actually really nice looking and I have worn it just as a sweater on occasion too (not after riding, though!).

Preference? I'd have to say the spot - maybe because it has the "newer" type of wool - but one of the old swobo ones gets a stinky sheep smell sometimes, and the other is a little shrunken with the years. The spot one though is great, feels good and never stinks.
    I was just looking at the Spot at my local B/S. Do they make a women's jersey? What I was told is the smallest size is a men's medium?

Displaced Southerner
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by poacher
    I was just looking at the Spot at my local B/S. Do they make a women's jersey? What I was told is the smallest size is a men's medium?

Hey! Well, I am having trouble finding much info on a women's specific one. Spot's website is changing so their clothing part is down. I found a Dirt Rag review (don't know how old it is) but said that there were women's ones in S-XL and had a nicer (assuming slimmer, shorter arms and hemline) fit than the mens. So...at some point they had womens'. I would think a men's medium would be big enough to serve as jersey, gloves and knee warmers on you. Brian's Spot might be a medium and it's huge on me.

Nipp mentioned Surly. They make a women's specific so I might go with them. It's already freakin cold here at night.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by poacher
    Yes they make women's jerseys and yes they make small ones. I've got one. Let me see if I have a picture.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Don't know about their womens stuff but their mens stuff is good quality.
    Enjoy the ride.

The Other F Word
    Jan 2005

Ibex

Ibex makes a couple:
    http://www.ibexwear.com/F05/Products...&Category=1035

I've not used their products (I make 99% of my own clothes) but I have a couple of friends who swear by their ski stuff.

gabrielle

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

got some info from Spot

I e-mailed Spot yesterday and here is the reply I got.

Thanks for the e-mail. At the present time, we have the following in stock;

Women’s long sleeve jerseys (they are $119.00);

Pewter – size small

Pewter – size medium

Pocketless jersey (sage) – size medium (these are $65.00)

Hope that helps. We had more but they sold out so quickly that this is what we have remaining at the present time. We will be doing some women’s black jerseys in the next few weeks as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0