mtbr member
    May 2013

women's specific and 29" vs 26"

I am currently on a Alpine Ibex hard tail and want to upgrade to full suspension. I test rode a men's small specialized stumpjumper 29" and really enjoyed it and was impressed, although the trails were quite a bit more challenging than my home trails, which is why I was so impressed with it's ability. When home I ride dry desert trails, up and down, some tame rocky parts and sand. The trails I test rode on were very rocky/rooty/switchbacky, which was challenging but fun. I love how my current bike descends, and it climbs well too, but it's time to upgrade. I like the Saphire but have no idea if I want a 29 or 26 tire so wanted to get some opinions if women's specific matters, and what you ladies think of tire size, I am average 5'5" 125 lbs. It's the tire size I'm struggling with. I hope to ride a 26 today. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I would go 27.5 or 29er. Ride a few bikes in each wheel size and choose what feels right. Being that you are 5'5 should give you many choices.

Good Luck

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I am 5'2" and I love my 29 Hard Tail. I am currently in the process of selling my 26 full suspension to upgrade to a 29 also!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ok, after much shopping and riding, I found a men's small 2012 Devinci Atlas. I love that the company is a small boutique brand from Canada. I am very impressed with the bike and went on a first ride with it yesterday. It has 29" tires and what the company did was to make it ride like a 26" while still getting the benefits of a 26. I definitely felt that while out on the trails, it was very flickable. Overall, I am happy with my decision. The second I got on it, it fit and felt great. I was able to feel very confident on my ride. Thanks for your help in this process.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Going from a hardtail frame to a full suspension frame, almost anything is going to feel much more maneuverable and stable, especially if you also going with a larger wheel like the 29". You and I are about the same height and weight. I ride a (Santa Cruz) Juliana Joplin and though I love the geometry and features of a full suspension bike, what really stands out is how much more comfortable it is then the last men's model I owned. Good luck on your search!