mtbr member

Women's Saddle Recommendations?

My wife has an old (I think it was the first round) Julie Furtado saddle on her mtb. She absolutely hates the saddle. I'd like to get a new saddle for her. She doesn't ride her mtb that often, but I'm willing to spend the money on a high-end saddle if necessary. Any recommendations on women's specific saddles? Thanks in advance!

- Mitch
    - thirtyfourtwenty
    - www.onespeedbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Saddles

No recs on saddles, but go to the forums on teamestrogen.com. They have both a Saddles We Love and a Saddles We Hate forum. You might find some good info on there.

Sam

Kat
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

saddles for women

Quote Originally Posted by thirtyfourtwenty
    My wife has an old (I think it was the first round) Julie Furtado saddle on her mtb. She absolutely hates the saddle. I'd like to get a new saddle for her. She doesn't ride her mtb that often, but I'm willing to spend the money on a high-end saddle if necessary. Any recommendations on women's specific saddles? Thanks in advance!

- Mitch
    - thirtyfourtwenty
    - www.onespeedbikes.com
    go to specialized.com they have a lot of women specific saddles. My big thing for a saddle is that it has a cutout.

H

L1MEY
    Saddles are a tough one because everyone's butt is different. It doesn't really matter whether you buy her a women's specific saddle or not, as long as it fits the width of her sit bones just right. The best idea is for her to try some out and find the most comfy one, or visit a Specialized dealer and use their sit bone measuring device to choose a saddle.

- Jen.

hari kari
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig
    Saddles are a tough one because everyone's butt is different. It doesn't really matter whether you buy her a women's specific saddle or not, as long as it fits the width of her sit bones just right. The best idea is for her to try some out and find the most comfy one, or visit a Specialized dealer and use their sit bone measuring device to choose a saddle.

- Jen.
    Thank you for that. "Women specific" saddles are about the stupidest marketing tool around. I've never even considered buying one because they're usually comprised of two really bad ideas 1) making the seat broader to fit the ass of a rhino and making it absolutely impossible to DH; and 2) making the seat softer, I assume in an effort simply to increase chaffing problems.

The cut out in the saddle is a good idea, however, but that can readily be found on so-called men-specific saddles. I recently got a new seat and am now running the Selle San Marco ASPid Arrowhead design. Super light, no chaffing, and a very, very comfortable saddle. I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Last edited by Hello Kitty; 08-16-2005 at 07:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello Kitty
    Thank you for that. "Women specific" saddles are about the stupidest marketing tool around. I've never even considered buying one because they're usually comprised of two really bad ideas 1) making the seat broader to fit the ass of a rhino and making it absolutely impossible to DH; and 2) making the seat softer, I assume in an effort simply to increase chaffing problems.

The cut out in the saddle is a good idea, however, but that can readily be found on so-called men-specific saddles. I recently got a new seat and am now running the Selle San Marco ASPid Arrowhead design. Super light, no chaffing, and a very, very comfortable saddle. I couldn't be more pleased with it.
    I'd agree with that. I tried a women's saddle once and OMG what a painful experience, not to mention tough to get behind it on a descent. I currently have a Specialized saddle with the cutout, but it's the men's model.

Dirt Diva Little h

... and if we just ...

- Mitch
    - thirtyfourtwenty
    - www.onespeedbikes.com
    I had the same saddle as your wife and hated it. I have tryed every women's saddle out and my absolute favorite is Terry butterfly Ti. for road, comfort, and xc ( hardtails). Also a nice new saddle I'm trying is the bontrager WSD race X lite. It does not have a cut out but it feels great on my intense 5.5 and is super light, no problem exiting the rear and has kevlar corners ( which is great for crashes, which I'm a pro at).

i worship Mr T

- Mitch
    - thirtyfourtwenty
    - www.onespeedbikes.com
    mitch,

you might want to run a search on this topic in this forum. it has been discussed numerous times.

however, here is the clif notes version: everyone's butt is different. what is comfortable for one person may be the 7th ring of hell for another. only your wife can decide what is comfortable (which may or may not turn out to be a saddle that is "women's specific"). companies that make women's saddles include: Terry, Serfas, Fizik, WTB, Specialized, and probably 20 more that i've forgotten. the best advice is to find a shop that has a good selection and a good return policy.

and, like i suggested at the beginning, if you want to read everyone's thoughts in detail, run a search on this topic in this forum.

good luck.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member

looks good

My girl-bits having been getting rather mashed. I've just ordered this saddle to see if it helps. We shall see...
    If you are only as old as you feel, I'm 101