Team Chilidog!

Women's leg/arm guards

In looking through the Interbike stuff from last year, it looks like at least one of the body protection manufacturers was making women's leg and arms guards. I could swear it was Rockgardn, but all I saw was small sizes with the option of pink and nothing else for a difference in women's or mens.

Does anyone here know of any of the manufacturers are making women's armor? I love the 661 stuff, but the leg guards are just a bit too big that I would have to remove the upper strap to have them fit.

Being an Athena (190 lbs, 5'4"), I don't necessarily fit into the smaller sizes. What have you guys done or found that fits?
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Bored Carp
    The Rockgardn stuff is pink and the women's specific leg stuff only comes in small (flak jacket comes in 2 sizes). I am 5'6", 125, the leg armor fits me well, so you can use that for reference. There is a significant design difference between the men's and women's flak jackets, but the leg armour has fewer differences in proportions and tends to be more about size (a lot of women are too short to fit the men's gear, but their thighs are too big for kid's leg armour) . FWIW, I have been using the heck out of it and love it. It is really comfortable to pedal in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169486...7594521208389/

Slightly off topic:

I have to object to the roll-eyes for the pink. While it may not appeal to your sense of style, the ONLY reason I even became aware of the WS armour is because I saw it out of the corner of my eye at Interbike and realized that if it was armour, and it was pink, it must be women's specific. I think that this color choice is the right one for a small company like Rockgardn.

Companies that make women's products need to sell product if you want them to continue making women's gear and eventually expand size range and offerings. Rockgardn is going to sell a LOT more armour because of the clear visual cue provided by the pink than they would with a women's size in the same look and feel as the men's. The manufacturers have to think about how this stuff looks on the shop wall and on the internet.
    Last edited by chuky; 04-19-2007 at 08:17 AM.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    S/M size Fox 911 guards should do the job for you. Also dianese should have stuff that fits you, since I bought used dianese leg armor from a girl even shorter than you (after her knee surgery, she kinda decided she didn't need a DH bike and gear anymore).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    The Rockgardn stuff is pink and the women's specific leg stuff only comes in small (flak jacket comes in 2 sizes). I am 5'6", 125, the leg armor fits me well, so you can use that for reference. There is a significant design difference between the men's and women's flak jackets, but the leg armour has fewer differences in proportions and tends to be more about size (a lot of women are too short to fit the men's gear, but their thighs are too big for kid's leg armour) . FWIW, I have been using the heck out of it and love it. It is really comfortable to pedal in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169486...7594521208389/

Slightly off topic:

I have to object to the roll-eyes for the pink. While it may not appeal to your sense of style, the ONLY reason I even became aware of the WS armour is because I saw it out of the corner of my eye at Interbike and realized that if it was armour, and it was pink, it must be women's specific. I think that this color choice is the right one for a small company like Rockgardn.

Companies that make women's products need to sell product if you want them to continue making women's gear and eventually expand size range and offerings. Rockgardn is going to sell a LOT more armour because of the clear visual cue provided by the pink than they would with a women's size in the same look and feel as the men's. The manufacturers have to think about how this stuff looks on the shop wall and on the internet.
    The pink cued me too, which is why I checked them out.

The only reason I rolled my eyes is because they didn't really do anything except change the color. I don't think it would matter if it was pink (which I have nothing against, especially hot pink ), but the pink isn't actually a womens size--just a small with another color.

I was really disappointed when I went to their website--hoping they would have a women's section, instead of just a small pink. I do know they have women's body armor, but it looks like the pink leg guards it just to match the armor:

http://www.rockgardn.com/items/body-...detail.htm?1=1

mtbr member
    i use the rockgardn 'youth' size knee/shin guards and really like them. got them on closeout last year. they are really comfortable to pedal in. (i'm 5'3)
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by MTNgirl
    i use the rockgardn 'youth' size knee/shin guards and really like them. got them on closeout last year. they are really comfortable to pedal in. (i'm 5'3)
    Cool, thanks. I'll give 'em a look and see what I can find. I like the 661 stuff (it's pretty comfortable), but I've heard good things about the rockgardn too.

black & blue
    Has anyone tried the new Brian Lopes Signature knee/shin guards by Troy Lee? I'm really interested to know their sizing. They come in either sm/med or med/lg.

I'm having issues with finding knee/shin guards that are small enough so that my kneecap isn't swimming around from all the extra space! I'm also having problems with knee/shin guards sliding down. I took a fall and my kneeguards slid down off my knees when I hit ground - not good!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Leg Armor

Well............. I practically have a mini store of leg armor that doesn't fit me in my garage. I am 5'4 &1/2 and weigh about 142. Long legs, short torso. The only leg armor that fits me perfect and doesn't move an inch is the Rock Garnd ladies pink small. As far as upper body armor, I where the mens s/m and fits over da girls just fine.
    Hope this helps.

Bored Carp
    I will second the fit of the Rockgarden leg armour. it doesn't move around at all, is super comfortable to pedal in, and has a very nice leg-cuff system to hold everything in place. I don't think it could come off of your knees, unless the fit was really, really, really wrong.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member

rockgardn

hi stripes-

"The only reason I rolled my eyes is because they didn't really do anything except change the color"

I don't think this is correct, they seem to have given us ladies a little more room in the chest. Thanks to chuky's input, i was able to confidently buy online and yes the fit seems good. I have only worn it around the house with the S.O. whacking me around w/ the armor

But FWIW, I'm almost 5'6" and 130lbs, more heavy upper than lower. It fits good.