mtbr member

Women's Flat Pedal Shoes

Ladies, what shoes are you wearing with platform pedals? Girlfriend is getting a new full suspension and doesn't want to be clipped in. I want to get her some 5.10s but I noticed there is only 1 women's model. The Karver is bulky and ugly so I don't think that's the way to go. Ideally I'd like to find her something similar to the Freeriders I wear for trail riding. She's a women's 8 in most shoes so I think she might be able to pull off a men's 6 if necessary, but I know size 6 is as low as 5.10s go. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this has been asked before, but MTBR's search function kind of sucks and I don't hang out in this forum (for obvious reasons).
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

Shorty
    I wear the old style Shimano DX shoes - got them for twenty bucks on ebay! The current model comes in non-spd (AM41) and spd-ready (AM45) versions incase your gf decides to go clipless. I like these because they are not ridiculously heavy/bulky, provide good traction and protect inner ankle. Another nice feature is the velcro panel that covers the shoe laces - this prevents them from getting caught in the cranks, plus it keeps the muck out. The sole is nice and stiff - the AMs come with Vibrams, prob not as sticky as 5-10s but good enough IMO.

You can do a Google search for Shimano AM41 or AM45 Mountain shoes.

My husband wears Sombrio Shazam Mid shoes of similar design. They look pretty cool, too.

Hope this helps..

pin it
    I wear 5 10 Karvers for DH (best grip and support)

I wear Teva Links for trail riding. Very comfortable.. Not as grippy as the 5 10s but that's not a bad thing for trail riding. I like to adjust my feet a little more easily, making these a good choice for less race-orientated flat pedal users.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Don't worry, be happy!

Women's Flat Pedal Shoes

Teva links. Once I get onto a computer and off the tablet, I'll see if I can find the fairly recent thread that went into extensive discussion of the various options. Or, try a WL specific search on "shoes".

Dudette
    +1 on the Karver's. Yes, they are kind of bulky, but I find them extremely comfortable and grippy. I'm not terribly keen on the design the last couple of years; mine are the purple/gray from a few years ago. What is nice about them is how they come up on the inside of the ankle, giving it added protection. I wear them for winter riding, too, and my feet have never been cold, even when temps were in the teens. Some people brighten them up with colorful laces.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Shoe reviews (for flat pedals) huge discussion of shoes

mtbr member
    5.10 Barons. 5.10 function without the bulk and sexy red color too.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. We ended up getting her some Teva Links in 6.5 and they fit her well.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB