Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    :-D
    Reputation: zazzafrazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    156

    Women's dirt clinic this weekend and next. Dirt Series

    Hi Ladies ! Just a reminder about the Dirt Series. com skillz clinics in Los Gatos.
    They will be held this weekend and next, so go to their Web page and reserve a spot !
    This is the Trek Dirt Series women's clinics. Saturday 8:30-7:30 and Sunday 8:30-5.
    Los Gatos + ST park and Demo Forest.
    All skill levels.

    Lunch included.

    Gonna be a blast ! Hope you can make it.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    27
    I'm going!! I'm signed up for the weekend of the 11-12th!

  3. #3
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,270
    Have a great time I did the clinic two years ago before my ACL recon and it was just awesome.

    It's exhausting though, so keep yourself hydrated. We expect a full report

  4. #4
    :-D
    Reputation: zazzafrazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    156

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Have a great time I did the clinic two years ago before my ACL recon and it was just awesome.

    It's exhausting though, so keep yourself hydrated. We expect a full report
    ---

    Great advice/comment Saturday is long and exhausting but super fun !
    Shopping, discounts, free stuff, and of course great coaching !
    Jumps and drops session was my favorite part of the whole weekend.
    saturday evening there's a fun party catered by Whole Foods. Yummy. Beer and wine included.

    You can also have the coaches check your bike set up; fit + suspension etc. so it will be perfected for you.

    If you ride at santa theresa it will be very hot no trees. the other riding areas and trails are nice and shady.

    Lori Lee Lown (velo girls) is an assistant coach :-)

    Have fun.

    See you all in June.

    .

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    27
    I did a Dirt Series a few years ago in Oregon, so I have an idea of what to expect, except it's hotter here. I'll be being extra careful to stay hydrated and not overheat. Thanks for the tip about Santa Theresa, I was wanting to ride Demo Forest but was kind of on the fence, riding out in a desert like setting just does not work well for me!

    ps my favorite part of the last one was jumping too!

  6. #6
    Super Ginger
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    115
    I was there last weekend and it was hot at Santa Theresa. This was my second camp. These are the BEST camps! I will be back again, I learn so much everytime I go.
    2013 Jamis XCT 650b Pro
    2012 Jamis D29 Pro
    2011 Jamis Xenith SL

  7. #7
    In bat country
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    21
    I'm going this weekend and looking forward to it. Thanks for the tip on Santa Teresa as well.
    ZazzaFrazz, what trail did you end up riding on Sunday?
    I am fairly new at riding and hoping my cardio will be good enough for Soquel on Sunday.


    -Adrienne

  8. #8
    :-D
    Reputation: zazzafrazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    156
    ^^ Howdy Adrienne,
    we rode saratoga gap Sunday. the advanced-skill group rode demo Sunday.
    have a great time and pm me if you want to do some riding - lot of us here get together to ride in the south bay/santa cruz..

  9. #9
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,270
    Quote Originally Posted by DHCloud View Post
    I'm going this weekend and looking forward to it. Thanks for the tip on Santa Teresa as well.
    ZazzaFrazz, what trail did you end up riding on Sunday?
    I am fairly new at riding and hoping my cardio will be good enough for Soquel on Sunday.


    -Adrienne
    When I took the Dirt Series a couple of years ago at Demo, they shuttled the majority of the climbs. I was the last one uphill both ways (I was really tired from the day before), so you should be ok.

    Anyway, they're really supportive. Someone will usually hang out with the stragglers. It's cool.

    I'm still relatively slow uphill, but I pedal a 35 lb bike. Brought some entertaining reactions at the Sand Otter this year:

    "You pedal that thing uphill?!" Yes, all the time.
    "Did you race DH?" No, not yet.

    Either place will be hot, and both places require some climbing. I would prefer to do a DH camp with them next time rather than an XC one. I'd like to learn to ride my bike better, and no class is going to teach me to climb better than I already do (it's a power to weight ratio for me, another 25 lbs to go).

  10. #10
    In bat country
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    21
    Thanks for the welcome ladies. Yes, I would love to get together some weekend and ride. I live in the San Luis Obispo area and we have some great trails here as well. We should do come weekend trade offs. I always have a spare room for folks to crash at.

    Thanks for the info Stripes, I am glad that you share being last (in some nice but twisted way) as I may be sharing in that glory as well, but too prefer DH and have focused a bit too much on that. I also ride a beast of a bike, IronHorse Warrior, hoping to put him on a diet but running 37lbs now.

    Wish there was DH camp from Dirt Series in CA. Although I am not complaing considering most states don't get one.

    Hope to ride with some of you soon!

    -Adrienne

  11. #11
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,270
    Quote Originally Posted by DHCloud View Post
    Thanks for the welcome ladies. Yes, I would love to get together some weekend and ride. I live in the San Luis Obispo area and we have some great trails here as well. We should do come weekend trade offs. I always have a spare room for folks to crash at.

    Thanks for the info Stripes, I am glad that you share being last (in some nice but twisted way) as I may be sharing in that glory as well, but too prefer DH and have focused a bit too much on that. I also ride a beast of a bike, IronHorse Warrior, hoping to put him on a diet but running 37lbs now.

    Wish there was DH camp from Dirt Series in CA. Although I am not complaing considering most states don't get one.

    Hope to ride with some of you soon!

    -Adrienne
    You live in SLO? We must talk then My husband's family is in Santa Maria, so we should definitely do some rides your way Santa Ynez is supposed to have a DH park to ride at on weekends ($30 a person or something like that). PM me if you want.

  12. #12
    :-D
    Reputation: zazzafrazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    156

    ... and if we just ...

    Super stoked for all of you ladies doing the dirt camp this weekend !

    Happy riding ...and jumping

  13. #13
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,270
    So, how was it? Details chicas!

  14. #14
    In bat country
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    21

    Dirt Series ride report

    Hi ladies!

    It was awesome. Simply amazing. I had such a great time. Learned some great skills as well as fine tuning some other issues I had.

    Saturday we were set into groups based on our pre-camp questionnaire. They did a great job of putting us in skills groups. It seemed everyone had similar interests and fitness. And just an overall great job on the grouping. So much so I met at least two ladies that I hope to stay in touch with for life. Saturday afternoon we went to Santa Teresa and rode a trail there. I don't remember the trail but it went from a lower parking to where we rode up a pretty rocky ridge.

    Saturday night we got to choose from 4 skills clinics about bike maintain of some sort. This was great although I wish there had been more time for 2 clinics instead of one. It was very hard to choose which one to attend. They had some good eats and some beer which was the best beer I have ever had. I think after a great ride most beers seem to be the best beer I have ever had.

    Sunday we met up at Summit bike again, got some great schwag from Fox, Kicking Horse coffee and Luna Bars. They also had raffles for some more great schwag. Then we were off to the skills site again where we did our elective classes. Where you could take a class you were not in the day before or refresh what you had learned the day before. Lunches on both days were delivered by a local deli, which was tasty and plenty of Luna bars to take on rides. If you’re a chipmunk packer like me there was plenty of food to pass out to hungry ladies on the ride.

    Sunday afternoon was another group ride depending on your level of expertise and skills you said you desired to learn. We drove to Demo in Santa Cruz and then got shuttled most of the way up a fire road where we rode a few connecting trails to get to the braille trail. This is a great semi technical trail with some features and drops and jumps. I decided to do a jump and jackknifed and ate some dirt real good. Cracked a few ribs I think but what can you do with ribs, not much. I learned from it though, that I did not weight my front when I landed and honestly I did get a little "cocky." Now I have a great story to tell and a few extra days off of work.

    The coaches were great on the rides about going over certain sections people had questions about and having us repeat sections that we felt uncomfortable about. It was a great ride. The climb out was a fire road about 4 miles maybe but it was a gentle climb. I have to admit though, shuttle met us half way and some of us jumped on and I was one of them. Then it was up to us to get to the bike shop or home from there.

    The biggest thing for me to work on post clinic is staying low and centered when coming down off a jump. My body wants to push the bike out like I am skiing. Practice, practice. I am absolutely making this an annual event for me. Whether as a participant or a volunteering at The Dirt Series it is just a great organization that I highly recommend going to.

    And on that note, I am trading up now from my beasty Iron Horse Warrior to a Remedy. I demo'd one and fell in love. That is how they get ya!

  15. #15
    :-D
    Reputation: zazzafrazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    156
    wow great write up .. ya it is a great weekend all the way around yes including the great beers and food .
    you are going to get a remedy ? that's a great bike. I rode one a bit at the camp.
    you drove all the way up from s l o ? you should get an award for farthest travel ha ha.

    I'm hoping to do the camp again next year possibly out of state if I can swing it.

  16. #16
    In bat country
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    21
    Zazzafrazz,

    If things line up I would love to car pool with you next year to a camp. Maybe Fruita if they are there!?
    Yes, I am for sure getting a Remedy, just love the feel of it and how light it handles.
    There were two people from San Diego that I know of so I think i may be a bronze medal if anything. Ha!
    Hope to possibly meet up over the summer and ride? A few of the ladies I met at Dirt and I have talked about a NorthStar weekend if your interested or any other gals as well. Estrogen takeover!

  17. #17
    :-D
    Reputation: zazzafrazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    156
    carpooling would be great ! hope you get your remedy soon - remember to send in the coupon for the dakine pack !
    okay I went through all the research and compared all the mainstream trail bikes, and download 1 all weekend at the camp . I rode a few others as well. I am now the happy owner of the 2012 ex8 ! rode it all weekend and am really happy with it ! also rode some new trails that I never been on before ! I just need to learn to trust the bike. my previous bike is a very simple nice hardtail no disc brakes, no bling. I think the fork has 60mm of travel ha ha. not to bueno for technical riding .
    my new ride has already taken me places that I wouldn't have ridden before. :-)
    have fun with your remedy and give a shout when you're in the area.

  18. #18
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,270
    Quote Originally Posted by zazzafrazz View Post
    carpooling would be great ! hope you get your remedy soon - remember to send in the coupon for the dakine pack !
    okay I went through all the research and compared all the mainstream trail bikes, and download 1 all weekend at the camp . I rode a few others as well. I am now the happy owner of the 2012 ex8 ! rode it all weekend and am really happy with it ! also rode some new trails that I never been on before ! I just need to learn to trust the bike. my previous bike is a very simple nice hardtail no disc brakes, no bling. I think the fork has 60mm of travel ha ha. not to bueno for technical riding .
    my new ride has already taken me places that I wouldn't have ridden before. :-)
    have fun with your remedy and give a shout when you're in the area.
    Glad you got your new ride. Does that mean I'll be able to see it sometime on the trail?

  19. #19
    :-D
    Reputation: zazzafrazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    156

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Glad you got your new ride. Does that mean I'll be able to see it sometime on the trail?
    yes yes and yes ! i will be free to ride weekday after work in one week ! yippee so excited.
    hoping to get a ride in at Saratoga after work next week and a ride at ord on the weekend if it is not too hot.
    sg is good cuz it is close to work and is shady for afternoon riding . :-D
    c u soon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •