mtbr member

Women who successfully rode through pregnancy

So I'm about 6 weeks into my second pregnancy and want to continue riding as long as I can. Obviously I'm not going to ride aggressively. With my first, I stopped riding early in my pregnancy because I was really cautious and paranoid. I'm currently riding 3-4 days a week and climbing maybe 2-3k feet.

My question for women who have successfully ridden while pregnant - did you keep your heart rate below a certain number? I've read 140. I can get my HR above 140 just hiking uphill. I feel like I can climb and still have fun around 160, but is this dangerous? Thanks.

Team Chilidog!
    Calling Catzilla.. Her pregnancy trials video isn't available anymore.. I think you'd get a kick out of it.

Her thread:
    The trials of pregnancy...

Rogue Exterminator
    Not a woman and obviously not pregnant but wouldn't this be more of a question to ask your doctor who probably has the degree and personal knowledge of you and your pregnancy?

I mean no offense by saying this but I think this is something that could be different for each woman and each pregnancy.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member

I did ask my doc, the first time around. And that's why I stopped riding. And I always regretted not riding longer. My doctor does not mtn bike, does not know how athletic I am, how fit I am, or really too much about me. I thought I'd ask other women who have been in a similar situation how they handled it. I'm not looking for advice, and I'm not looking for anyone's medical opinion. Just asking about the experience of other women. I hesitated posting anything at all because I was sure I'd get comments like that one.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by skarin View Post
    I hesitated posting anything at all because I was sure I'd get comments like that one.
    Like I said, I meant no disrespect and if it came across that way, I apologize.

Team Chilidog!
    I did ask my doc, the first time around. And that's why I stopped riding. And I always regretted not riding longer. My doctor does not mtn bike, does not know how athletic I am, how fit I am, or really too much about me. I thought I'd ask other women who have been in a similar situation how they handled it. I'm not looking for advice, and I'm not looking for anyone's medical opinion. Just asking about the experience of other women. I hesitated posting anything at all because I was sure I'd get comments like that one.
    You shouldn't ever hestitate posting anything like this in this forum; it's what it's here for.

I love it when men pipe up about something they're not familiar with, especially in the Women's Lounge. Just treat it like a sense of amusement, bcause that's all it is

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    I love it when men pipe up about something they're not familiar with,
    You are right, I don't know a lot about pregnancy. Never have been pregnant and don't plan on getting pregnant.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    You are right, I don't know a lot about pregnancy. Never have been pregnant and don't plan on getting pregnant.
    Me either, but I go posting like I do either, especially with your signature. Not really gonna make you many friends in the Women's Lounge. Just saying.

mtbr member
    As a Certified Nurse-Midwife I encourage my pregnant patients to exercise, even fairly vigorously, as long as they stay well hydrated and avoid getting overheated. Most can continue whatever they did before pregnancy, barring contact and high impact type sports. I give them examples of pregnant woman who have completed marathons at term and show them videos on You Tube of pregnant women swinging kettlebells.
    Regarding bike riding: be aware that pregnancy brings changes in balance and depth perception, and occasional mild blood pressure drops, especially in the 2nd trimester, so take care. Your single biggest risk is for an accident.

Don't worry, be happy!

Hasn't the HR>140 thing pretty much been debunked?

Rogue Exterminator
    Me either, but I go posting like I do either, especially with your signature. Not really gonna make you many friends in the Women's Lounge. Just saying.
    I wasn't posting like I knew everything.
    In fact I posted my comment in the form of a question and didn't think I was rude about it.
    I even posted that I meant no disrespect and followed up with an apology post because it apparently was still ill received.
    I have no more apologies about it so I guess I will just have to accept that you and I will never be friends. I am pretty sure I won't lose any sleep over it.

OP, good luck with your pregnancy no matter what you decide to do. I hope you and your family are blessed with a beautiful and healthy baby.

mtbr member

Thanks Kjlued, I know you meant no harm with your post. No worries.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I wasn't posting like I knew everything.
    In fact I posted my comment in the form of a question and didn't think I was rude about it.
    I even posted that I meant no disrespect and followed up with an apology post because it apparently was still ill received.
    I have no more apologies about it so I guess I will just have to accept that you and I will never be friends. I am pretty sure I won't lose any sleep over it.

OP, good luck with your pregnancy no matter what you decide to do. I hope you and your family are blessed with a beautiful and healthy baby.
    Dood, it's all good. Just please be a little more sensitive here and we can all be friends
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Don't worry, be happy!

mtbr member
    So I'm about 6 weeks into my second pregnancy and want to continue riding as long as I can. Obviously I'm not going to ride aggressively. With my first, I stopped riding early in my pregnancy because I was really cautious and paranoid. I'm currently riding 3-4 days a week and climbing maybe 2-3k feet.

My question for women who have successfully ridden while pregnant - did you keep your heart rate below a certain number? I've read 140. I can get my HR above 140 just hiking uphill. I feel like I can climb and still have fun around 160, but is this dangerous? Thanks.
    My (ex) wife rode until a day before she gave birth to our first.
    Riding went from competition to "walking the dog", but nevertheless.
    Funny thing is, our son hates riding a bike...
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Yep, I did a lot of research when I was pregnant, and the 140 HR thing is a myth. What I learned (though it's hard to find, and my doctor was also not useful) was that risks to your fetus (other than really bad crashes) come when you're putting your body under prolonged stress. For example, if you're anaerobic for a long time, you dehydrate badly or your core temp rises (the last seemed like the most risky). But on the whole, research has shown that staying fit while pregnant actually reduces risks to your baby. There are a few specific exercises (mostly involving lying on your back as I recall) that are off limits.

I rode up until a week before going into labour (I was actually planning a ride for the day I went into labour - doh!). I stopped racing that summer, because I don't pay attention to what my body is telling me when I race and I take greater risks (plus I would have been schooled - my blood pressure was down and so was my aerobic ability). Just listen to your body and use your common sense.

I never really experienced that loss of balance thing, though I know others do. I think because the mass re-distribution was gradual and I consistently rode, I adapted. I actually found riding way more comfortable than walking, because my feet got quite sore near the end.

I've actually had a harder time riding after, just because I have no time any more, so good for you for riding during your SECOND pregnancy! And congrats!!!

mtbr member
    I managed to ride (typically 15-20 miles on dirt including some non-technical singletrack and rides at 9,000+ feet) until around 32 weeks. I never had problems with balance or anything like that but I eventually had to quit because hunching over the bike with a baby's skull in my ribs became pretty painful after a while. Short torsos and long babies can be a pretty uncomfortable combination!

My OB who is a mountain biker himself told me "be safe, don't go hucking off any big drops, and try to keep your heart rate below 160" and that's what I did. It's not like I would immediately stop on a climb if I hit 165 but I would try to back off some and get it back below 160 and I stuck to fire roads and safe trails that I knew very well. I was also VERY careful about not overheating which meant a lot of 5 a.m. rides during the summer.

I'd say up through about 28 weeks or so (when I started running out of torso space ...) things felt REALLY great and, aside from some extra weight making things harder, I REALLY enjoyed getting out on my bike. I quit running at around 20 weeks because it didn't feel good but riding felt awesome so I kept at it up until 32ish weeks when I finally threw in the towel. It kept me reasonably happy and sane and generally feeling like myself which was a HUGE help. I also think staying active helped my recovery tremendously - I gained around 22 lbs which I lost quickly, had an easy and comfortable pregnancy and delivery, and was back on my bike eleven days after my baby was born. And as an aside, that first non-pregnant ride? PURE BLISS!!!

It's definitely a conversation to have with your doctor but realize that even among doctors there are differing opinions on how much and what kind of activities are safe. I was lucky to have a doctor that was *VERY* supportive of me maintaining my activity level but YMMV.

Good luck and congrats!

Rogue Exterminator
    Thanks Kjlued, I know you meant no harm with your post. No worries.
    Thanks

Dood, it's all good. Just please be a little more sensitive here and we can all be friends
    That's as sensitive as I get, I guess I am just not a sensitive guy. Oh well.

Moderator Moderator
    Saw this today and thought it might be of interest. It focuses on runners but has relevant info for biking:
    How Pregnancy Changes a Runner's Body - NYTimes.com

mtbr member
    I'm 38 and my due date is in four weeks. I rode my road bike 142 miles last week. 100 miles so far this week and feeling like a pregnant ANIMAL. Stopped riding dirt a month ago, too many hills, I'm too fat now! I miss it so much. My husband is racing the Downieville Classic tomorrow, I actually stayed home because it's too far away from hospitals and I'm too close to my due date. So, I'm devastated.

I had the same questions you did. This is my first baby. I'm about to write a blog post about my journey figuring out what I can do, what I can't, and trying to still be bad ass while pregnant...keep your eyes peeled for it at passedbyachick.com | Getting rad with a baby on board. Former motorcycle racing champion, mountain bike crash test dummy, road cyclist. Vanderkitten VIP!.

XOXO
    Christie

mtbr member
    Real quick bit about HR - the 140 rule of thumb is old school and totally does not apply to trained athletes. My friend Sarah gets pukey around 160 bpm, her max might be 165. My max is 191, I don't get pukey til 185 or more.

From what I've learned from coaches, a midwife who cycles, and others, the important thing is to not let your body go over your lactic threshold for long, if at all. The lactic acid is bad for baby. Everyone's threshold is different. You can estimate yours, or a coach can, based on your max HR and other things.

I've generally kept things under 155. I think my threshold is around 160.

My current doctor, a rad dude who's a mountain biker, said don't worry about numbers, just keep yourself to a talking pace. And stop riding when you start bowing your legs out to accommodate your bump (if you ever have to). Haven't gotten to that point yet.

mtbr member
    Christieland and others had some great responses for you. For me I didn't bike much with the first but I was mountain biking up until 37 weeks with the second. I just felt good on the bike. Every time I tried to hike I would hurt myself but the bike felt good and my balance was fine. Granted I was not doing anything technical or extreme but I was getting out on trails that were easy for me. I wrote about it on my blog if you search pregnancy. Best of luck to you! Jen

Don't worry, be happy!

That is interesting about the lactic acid. Is that new info? I'm way past babies but its interesting nonetheless.

mtbr member
    I wish I had more detailed information, or better information. I'd like to interview Dame Sarah Storey's coach, or Susie Mitchell's coach. But in my first trimester I was corresponding with a midwife (and cyclist) named Mason Cornelius, who was referred to me by my coach, Thomas Chapple. She seems to be familiar with/interested in issues of cycling while pregnant.

From Mason: "6 weeks is when the pregnancy hormones start to really develop as the placenta begins to take over completely so you may experience more fatigue in the coming weeks than have you have been up to this point. It's normal and does not mean you're training improperly."

Me: "I'm curious about the acidosis you refer to, its impact on fetal brains, and what zones I actually have to be in to produce that."

Mason: "This will be unique to you and how fit you are. Some people are anaerobic in zone 3 or spending lots of time in zone 3 can cause maternal acidosis. Acidosis is bad for babies and is one of the contributors to long term brain injury. ALL the studies are really looking at birth trauma related to acidosis, NOT exercise induced acidosis but the lack of information makes me want to be very cautious.

Me: "Kind of guessing here, but when my body goes "lactic," or is beyond the upper lactic threshold, is this what could result in acidosis?"

Mason: Exactly.

Me: Because zone 3 is pretty mellow, its something I can do for hours and hours and hours.

Mason: Which might lead to a duration-induced acidosis rather than an anaerobic-induced acidosis. On long rides just make sure to eat a tone of calories, more than you think you need so your body never needs to burn fat for fuel.

Me: And about RhoGam and falls - how serious of a fall? A blow to the abdomen, or just any time I tip over?

Mason: This is another tough one to answer...if you fall hard enough to cause injury to the placenta there is a chance of blood mixing and therefor antibody growth putting this baby at some risk but posing a greater risk to any subsequent pregnancies. If you crash and land hard enough to give you road rash or bruises I'd go in for RhoGam, especially in 2d and 3rd trimesters. !st trimester the baby s really well protected and the placenta is very small.

mtbr member
    Christieland and others, thank you for the helpful information! I'm really inspired by your super fit pregnancy and that you were able to ride though it all. I'm trying, but in the last couple of weeks my dizziness, nausea, and fatigue has gotten the best of me. I'm hoping to make it back on the bike in a couple of weeks. It's interesting but when I'm riding, even just on local paved trails, it's pretty much the only time I feel OK and like myself.