mtbr member
    Jul 2011

women using Spec Camber? Safire? Stumpy FSR?

I'm interested to know if any women (5' 2" or 5' 3" max) are riding or have test ridden the Spec Camber? Particularly looking to compare whether my wife might be better suited to that bike versus Safire or Stumpy FSR. Obviously, I'm looking for the right compromise between travel/slack head angle/trail orientation/weight/etc. Currently she's enjoying her Spec ERA FSR, but its focus on cross country racing has its limits on technical trails so we're looking for something a little more versatile. We haven't been able to find a local dealer with any of the bikes mentioned in a small size frame for her to test ride, and most do not even have any of such bikes in stock currently in any sizes. Any feedback appreciated for her to narrow down her search until the spring arrivals start showing up at the dealers. We're most familiar with Spec bikes, but open to suggestions of any others that you have strong convictions on, just pleas specify why so that we can keep a frame of reference of attributes.

see me rollin, they hatin
    my last bike (well 2 bikes ago) was a stumpy FSR. i'm 5'3 and the small fit great. it was a 26er

Giant Trance fit me great too. They have women's models. Also look at the Giant Anthem. I tend to find that Giant has better deals for the specs and people love their suspension. I also have a BMC speedfox which is similar to the Giant, but they are hard to find and test ride (swiss company)
    fap

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm 5'3 as well.

I test rode a Trek Lush, Spec Safire & Kona Leilei (sp?). I liked the Specialized & was non-plussed by the other 2. I also looked at a Gian Anthem & I would totally agree with Nicole's comments regarding bang for the buck. In the end a new bike was more than I wanted to spend though, so I found a nice deal on a used Trek Fuel WSD. One of my local Trek dealers has a bunch of Trek Fuel women's specific models, but Trek doesn't have the WSD for the Fuel listed on their site. That may be another to put on your list, I like the way it fits & rides much better than the Lush.