mtbr member

Women in Tour de France

I know this is a bit off topic because it's road cycling, but it is cycling and it is women. An online petition has been started to lobby for the inclusion of women in the Tour de France. If you're interested in reading a bit of background you can go to this article. If you're interested in signing the petition, there's a link in the article or you can just click here.

I signed. I think this is a really good idea whose time is overdue.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

Formerly of Kent
    No, they want to create a women's version of the Tour.

They don't want women in the men's race. That would be a waste of time and money for everyone involved.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Women in Tour de France

If women can ride as far and as fast as those guys and do the work like their male counterparts, I say, let them ride. Why not?

The peeing on the side of the road would be harder though.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    I think a women's version would be cool to see but I think to add women to the current race might be a bit much.

Anyways, is there an actual rule that prohibits women from competing?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    If women can ride as far and as fast as those guys and do the work like their male counterparts, I say, let them ride. Why not?

The peeing on the side of the road would be harder though.
    Looking at times for the WC time trial, XC world cup lap times, the average lap times at recent world championships, i.e., events where the only variable is the rider, I would conclude that they can't.

They ride shorter distances, smaller climbs, and have lower average speeds.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Looking at times for the WC time trial, XC world cup lap times, the average lap times at recent world championships, i.e., events where the only variable is the rider, I would conclude that they can't.

They ride shorter distances, smaller climbs, and have lower average speeds.
    If you're comparing top times of women vs. top times of men, that's of course not possible at the moment. It's actually impossible to calculate if the top women could beat the lowest men at races because they don't ride the same distances for the UCI road races for the elite men and women.

Anyhow, it's theoretical at this point, but there's no argument that a woman may never win the Tour de France, we are just built differently. But I still believe that a top tier woman could actually be as good as a few of the guys and can do the job as a domestique.

Good to see so many ladies participating in this conversation.

Formerly of Kent
    I agree. I'd like to see Marianne Vos take a crack at it, if for nothing other than to give her a challenge.

She's winning everything she wants these days, short of the pure climber stages of the Giro.

Massive talent.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I agree. I'd like to see Marianne Vos take a crack at it, if for nothing other than to give her a challenge.

She's winning everything she wants these days, short of the pure climber stages of the Giro.

Massive talent.
    Yeah. She's amazing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Signed. A lot of the best races to watch in the world cup are the women.

mtbr member
    The way I read it, it would be done in the usual way; with a men's race and a women's race conducted concurrently with the starts staggered to avoid interference. In other words, they would run both races at the same time with the faster (men) riders starting first. Personally, I think it would be cool.

Peeing by the side of the road optional, of course. But it's easily facilitated with one of these.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skullcap View Post
    Peeing by the side of the road optional, of course. But it's easily facilitated with one of these.
    I like the extension for when you're in a boat or wearing extra clothing.

Gnarly
    I signed the petition and forwarded the link to friends and colleagues.

I did road cycling (raced a little too) before I was introduced to mtb

I like and support the idea of woman's TDF because its inspiring and instills pride.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    They already have a women's TdF. I don't see the point, but if I were running the Tour, I'd say OK, and allow a women's team. They'd probably all be eliminated on time during the prologue.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Women in Tour de France

What the heck? Who said anything about a women's team?
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    I didn't really expect this to get this much discussion, but I'm glad it did.

Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I like the extension for when you're in a boat or wearing extra clothing.
    I know! However logical and practical it may be it does introduce a bit of creepy, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I signed the petition and forwarded the link to friends and colleagues.

I did road cycling (raced a little too) before I was introduced to mtb

I like and support the idea of woman's TDF because its inspiring and instills pride.
    I used to road bike because there was no such thing as mountain biking, but I was that stupid girl that kept riding her road bike off road. SO glad that I am able to mountain bike for real, but I will never be able to go as fast on my mountain bike as I could on my road bike. I don't have a road bike now but I'm seriously considering picking up a gravel grinder (CX bike). I like speed.

Gnarly
    Quote Originally Posted by skullcap View Post
    I didn't really expect this to get this much discussion, but I'm glad it did.

I know! However logical and practical it may be it does introduce a bit of creepy, doesn't it?

I used to road bike because there was no such thing as mountain biking, but I was that stupid girl that kept riding her road bike off road. SO glad that I am able to mountain bike for real, but I will never be able to go as fast on my mountain bike as I could on my road bike. I don't have a road bike now but I'm seriously considering picking up a gravel grinder (CX bike). I like speed.
    Speed rather than distance was my rush with road cycling. I kept my road bike and ride it very occasionally. But since I took up mtb and progressed to DH I have found my nirvana. I'm in the same boat, I'm not as fast as I'd like but I can find that adrenaline rush with technical

CX is a great alternative.. I'm also considering getting a CX bike.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I have a CX bike and use it for all sorts of different riding. It's a lot of fun with the fat tires. You guys will love them.

mtbr member
    I used to have two road bikes. One was a racing bike, the other one was...definitely not. It was an old Huffy and the tires were 28s. That's the one I rode off road all the time and it was quite a bit of fun as long as I didn't try anything too loose or too rough. I'm thinking a CX bike won't be so different!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I personally love to watch women race, both road and MTB. I started the downhill run at mammoth this week behind a group of ladies that I had a real hard time keeping up with. Nothing like seeing a girl launch an 8 foot jump.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^