mtbr member

women on stans wheels ??

I am having a custom wheelset built up for my Pivot Mach 5. Getting mixed opinions from the guys on whether to go with stans arch ex or crest. any gals want to chime in ? I'm 125lbs. east coast technical xc rider.
    currently riding easton ea90xc wheels. i looking for something wider. also on the table are the easton havens.
    thanks !

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm riding Stan's Arches EX on both my 29er and my 26er. I love them! I weigh quite a lot more than you do, though, and I think you would probably be fine with the Crests unless you're really hard on your equipment. I am extremely tough on my bikes, and I've not had any issues thus far with the Arches.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm about your size & have run Stan's Crest for a couple of seasons now. I'm totally sold on them, & am saving for a set to put on the commuter. I'm not XC, more of an AM rider. The weight limit on those is something like 180 lbs IIRC, so I'm not sure why people are giving you mixed opinions at your size?

mtbr member
    great thanks for the feedback. what hubs are you using ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Mine came with the Stan's 3.30 hubs. I verified the weight on my own scale on these when I bought them. Front is 694 grams, rear is 802 grams - both weighed without skewers & with rim tape installed. Now granted, I came from the stock Bontrager rims that were original on my bike (2007 Fuel EX7) & they were pretty heavy, so going to these really woke the handling of the bike up. It became so much more "flickable", & carries speed & momentum so much better than with the old rims. If you're already running light rims, I'm not sure how much of a difference that you'll see on that point.

One thing on the hubs, that rear hub is really, really loud. I haven't seen too many people complain about that with the Stan's hubs, but I do know that it's common with the Hope Hoops version when they use their Hope hub. Just FYI, since it bothers some people. My brakes are silent, so I just look at it as a way to let people know that I'm coming down the trail. lol

mtbr member
    I recently had my Blur LT's 26 wheels rebuilt with Arch EX rims so I could go tubeless. So far the Arch EX rims are trouble-free despite our local rock gardens. I don't race therefore wheel weight is not a critical factor. My hubs are Shimano XTR.
    Never give up, never surrender.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I run Crests on my Pivot and have done for years no issues built with my favourite hubs Hadleys.

mtbr member
    what do you like about the hadley hubs tahic ?? I will probably go with hope. just need to decide on color. red will match my bike but I am sick of red. i like the gunsmoke but its not going to match anything !

mtbr member

my bike

heres a pic of my mach 5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails women on stans wheels ??-img_0437.jpg  

Team Chilidog!
    Stans Crest rims are awesome. Had them 1-2 years, and they were solid.

The Flows (not the Flows EX) were horrible. I destroyed them in less than a year of XC riding while recovering from ACL reconstruction.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Really ? That's crazy I thought the flows were the super strong ones.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishercat View Post
    Really ? That's crazy I thought the flows were the super strong ones.
    So did I. So for the stronger wheels I use WTB i23s. They're also a smidge wider.

They now have the Flows EX, which are supposed to be the improved version, so you could always check those out.

But for XC, the Crests are pretty top notch.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Dirty South Underdog
    If you want something with some bling to it that's got the strength/width of an arch & the weight more like a crest (~1420g per set w/o valves & tape), take a look at the Industry 9 Trail 24 wheels. The super-fast engagement will make you never want to ride anything else ever again: 26 Trail 24-hole
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    those I9's are nice ! out of my price range though. I am leaning towards the hope/crest option, hoping the crests will be strong enough. i think they probably will, i am pretty small. just obsessing over color now. black or gunsmoke what do you think ??

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    what do you like about the hadley hubs tahic ?? I will probably go with hope. just need to decide on color. red will match my bike but I am sick of red. i like the gunsmoke but its not going to match anything !
    1. hardly anyone has them
    2. They look and sound fantastic ( the sound of Hopes puts me right off)
    3. They have fast engagement
    4. They last forever with little maintenance issues
    5. Buying them supports a small family run business with the best customer service you will find and I like that!
    6. Hubs can be changed between standards easily by me ( necessary when you have stable of bikes)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails women on stans wheels ??-p1000164.jpeg  

women on stans wheels ??-p1000161.jpeg  

mtbr member
    I've had Stan's rims on everything from several DH bikes to my road bike and haven't had any issues with them at all. They've honestly been the most durable wheels I've used. And they're nice and light too.

I also love Hadley hubs - my husband and I have owned dozens of them and they're great too. And I love the sound...

mtbr member
    I am having a custom wheelset built up for my Pivot Mach 5. Getting mixed opinions from the guys on whether to go with stans arch ex or crest. any gals want to chime in ? I'm 125lbs. east coast technical xc rider.
    currently riding easton ea90xc wheels. i looking for something wider. also on the table are the easton havens.
    thanks !
    I ride with Stans Crests on my 26er... I am 125 lbs, ride about 3X a week... I enjoy technical, rocky trails. Currently I have XT hubs, but I'm switching to Hope hubs. I absolutely love my wheels! I feel a lot more confident and nimble with them. I'm in the second season with them and they are great!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have a set of Crests being built now (thanks Dave's Speed Dreams)! Decided on the DT Swiss 240's for ease of maintenance and they are quiet. Almost went with the I9's but the sound turned me away.
    Everyone I talked to said the Crests would be fine for my size, weight and riding style (same as above).
    Hopefully next week these wheels will marry up with my Turner Flux 27.5 frame!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have had Crests on Hadley hubs (from Dave at Speed Dream) for 2+ years now on my Ibis Mojo SL. This is my all mountain bike that I use when it's technical/rocky. I am very happy with them and I've got 10 lbs on you.

If you don't have a history of being hard on wheels, I'd say go Crest.

psycho cyclo addict
    I am 195 lbs. and run three sets of Stan's rims: Flow's (straight 2.0 DT spokes) and 355's (double butted 1.8/2.0 DT spokes) on Chris King hubs (that are now on my GF's bike) and a set of Crest's with HD front and standard 3.30 rear hubs. The Flow's and Crest's have been down many drops, stairs, etc. and shown no signs of fatigue or noodly behavior. I raced the 355's most of the time and limited abuse otherwise.

Flow and Crest rims are plenty strong in my experience. As with any rim, if the build is less than stellar, all sorts of issues can crop up.

rather be riding

women on stans wheels ??

Love the Crests. They're on my SS 29er though, so just riding them XC, nothing super gnarly. I weigh in at 150.

mtbr member
    Wondering now if either of these will be much different from my easton ea90xc's. 19mm vs 21mm. Does that 2mm really make a difference ? Now also looking at the wtb i23's. anyone running those ? Apparently they are UST as well. Thanks !