Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Women Kicking Butt on the Kokopelli Trail

This past weekend, I rode the Kokopelli Trail in an attempt to finish the entire 142-mile trail in less than 24 hours. I'm happy to say I succeeded, becoming the first woman to do it on a single speed. Two other women also finished this year, one of them (LyndaW) coming in 5th overall! The other woman (Cat) beat her time from last year by two hours! Until last year, no woman had ever completed the course in less than 24 hours.

Here's my write-up:

http://jesperperl.com/words/kokopelli/

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Damn! Nice work!

We passed some of the leaders on the climb up La Sal Mountain Loop on our way up to Hazard. You people are crazy!

What gearing did you use on your SS?

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by IttyBittyBetty
    This past weekend, I rode the Kokopelli Trail in an attempt to finish the entire 142-mile trail in less than 24 hours. I'm happy to say I succeeded, becoming the first woman to do it on a single speed. Two other women also finished this year, one of them (LyndaW) coming in 5th overall! The other woman (Cat) beat her time from last year by two hours! Until last year, no woman had ever completed the course in less than 24 hours.

Here's my write-up:

http://jesperperl.com/words/kokopelli/

Enjoy!

wow! that's awesome! you go girl!

[edit] holy crap!! i just finished reading your write up. what you did is downright f'in amazing. you are my hero.

rt
    Last edited by *rt*; 05-24-2007 at 09:07 AM.
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

pewpewpew Moderator
    Congratulations! What an impressive accomplishment! WOW!
    Love, Impy

brg
    mtbr member
    good write up jen!

i just hung around all day with my feet propped up under the shade waiting for my friends to come in.... It was fun just being on the sidelines (usually i'm not happy on the sidelines - but this time it was just fine)listening to all the stories.

plus - since LyndaW came in 5th - i got to tell all the boys they got beat by a girl.

here's pic of jen at the finish. (i had her permission to post it. )
    Attached Images Attached Images

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    Great write up. You really captured the epic nature of Kokopelli. You can rock that single speed!!! First ever female SS finisher is a keeper trophy for sure.

Here is my write up. I had a much less eventful day than you

http://teamhealthfx.com/blogs/lynda/default.aspx

Having breakfast with everybody the next morning was super fun too.

JenyJo and Cynthia - you guys have some special energy on board. It was great to meet you both in person. One of my friends described you as "radiant" I hope I get to hang with y'all again sometime. Hanging out with biker chiccas is a rare pleasure for me.

Itty Bitty Betty, Lyndaw and brg

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

32x20

The gearing felt too light in the first half, which has a lot of flat-ish sections. However, I was super glad for that gearing toward the end. I would have had a hard time riding up the La Sals at all with a steeper gear. I'd love to get stronger so I could push a 32x19, as that would allow me to ride the whole thing faster. We'll see...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I don't usually look that crazy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Lynda,

I got more for my money than you! Oh wait, it was free!

brg
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyndaW
    Great write up. You really captured the epic nature of Kokopelli. You can rock that single speed!!! First ever female SS finisher is a keeper trophy for sure.

JenyJo and Cynthia - you guys have some special energy on board. It was great to meet you both in person. One of my friends described you as "radiant" I hope I get to hang with y'all again sometime. Hanging out with biker chiccas is a rare pleasure for me.
    hee-hee - your ride was less eventful because you finished so dang quickly.

and awesome meeting you, Lynda - after following your blog for the past few years - it was nice to meet the person behind the legend. you are very inspiring!

wow! - i got a mention in the famous LyndaW's blog. ok - ok -it's for being the "runt of the litter". LyndaW 5'2", ittybittybetty 5'1", me 4'10". maybe next time the mention will be for actually riding.

brg
    mtbr member
    sez who??

mtbr member
    Next question -

How do you train for such a thing? Seriously - I'm assuming you're not out doing 140 mile MTB rides or riding for 24 hours straight on a regular basis. What kind of distance/time do you do on training rides to prepare for that? I'm sure there's a jump from training distance/time to the actual event, I'm just curious what it is.

Very cool write-ups too! You ladies are superheroes!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Training

Quote Originally Posted by connie
    Next question -

How do you train for such a thing?
    There's a lot of info on this subject in the Endurance Forum. Some folks work up to riding half the distance in one ride, or more. I didn't ride that much, although it would help improve my times if I did. I "train" with a mix of long road rides and increasingly longer mountain bike rides. I think I topped out at about a 6 mountain bike hour ride before the race. I also trail run long distances, up to 3 hours.

LyndaW is a personal coach and has great training plans.

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by connie
    Next question -

How do you train for such a thing? Seriously - I'm assuming you're not out doing 140 mile MTB rides or riding for 24 hours straight on a regular basis. What kind of distance/time do you do on training rides to prepare for that? I'm sure there's a jump from training distance/time to the actual event, I'm just curious what it is.

Very cool write-ups too! You ladies are superheroes!
    First thing is to learn how to ride that long - this has little to do with fitness but is pacing, calorie intake, fluid balance, electrolyte balance, equipment choice(you better be sure about your shorts choice!), keeping your equipment running for the duration.

A long way away from the event I build short fast power and muscle mass. Then do threshold work on top of that muscle mass to get fast. Then as the event approaches put in the longer rides. I typically max out at 6 hours for a longest ride but with a good excuse (like riding the White Rim that takes about 7.5 hours) will go longer.

Three weeks out from the event I'll do a three day binge. This year it was on the course - blog here. We rode the 144 miles over 3 days. Last year before 24 hours of Moab the three day binge was Friday: 45 miles on the race course, Saturday a clockwize lap on White Rim 110 miles and Sunday a counterclockwize lap on White Rim 110 miles. Blog here. Now even I thought that was over the top!! But ooh so fun.

Then after the binge I rest/taper arriving at the event with close to manic energy

Ya gotta love riding your bike to train like that. To train to finish rather than go fast is mostly in the race day execution details (pacing, fueling, equipment, keeping focused etc)

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Wow, what a fantastic accomplishment! Congrats!!
    [SIZE="1"]We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.[/SIZE]

www.mtbnj.com

jeny jo

!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes you do!!

oh, wait.... no you don't.

oh, wait.... YES, you REALLY DO... It's a GOOD THING, IttyB. GOOO OOO OOOD.

jj

jeny jo

rockin'

Itty Bitty Betty, Lyndaw and brg
    Admiring YOUR radiance, Miss Lynda! Way to rock it! Pummel Pummel Pummel.

IttyB: rock on. and on and on and on SSome more.

Cyn: thanks for saving me from the boogie man.

Jeny Jo

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    That is a crazy look!!!

Congrats that is a long long ride.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brg

Maybe next time the mention will be for actually riding.
    I'll be in Buena Vista June 5 - 11th for a family reunion. I'm bringing my bike of course. If you are close by one one of those dates let's ride! I promise I'll come unacclimatized, smoked and mellow I'll also have to have a ride on your wee Black Sheep...

brg
    mtbr member
    I'll be in Buena Vista June 5 - 11th for a family reunion. I'm bringing my bike of course. If you are close by one one of those dates let's ride! I promise I'll come unacclimatized, smoked and mellow I'll also have to have a ride on your wee Black Sheep...
    oh...i'm pretty sure i can arrange to be in that area maybe around the 7th,8th,9th! It would be a honor to ride with you and have you take my BS for a spin.

hmmm....maybe we can even convince jenamin and ittybittybetty to join us.

send me a PM on what date would work best for you and I'll be there!

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Great writeup! Congrats again on the ride. That's quite an accomplishment.

It was great to meet y'all on Tuesday. See you at Betasso in a coupla weeks.

EP

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brg

hmmm....maybe we can even convince jenamin and ittybittybetty to join us.
    Hmmm...That's two weeks before my big adventure race, so I will be in my taper. For me to do join you, it would have to be something easy. You guys plan what makes sense for you and I'll see if it fits my pre-race needs.

ride
    Great job, Jen - that was a fantastic write up, too. Sounds like a remarkable experience.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Congrats to everyone that rode/finished/participated/watched

I'd love to at some point be able to do something like this, but right now can't imagine it. Though, I felt that way about So Cal's Counting Coup (42 miles, 8500ft of climbing) a year ago, and currently feel that way about Vision Quest.

Hubby and I rode Counting Coup in March of this year. Our goals were to finish, and not be last. Unfortunately a wrench got thrown into the works when another rider crashed into me 50 yards from the starting gate (in complete darkness) and I went down. Hard. I was able to gather up my bottles, sunglasses, etc. and no one else (other than the 2 of us) went down. The other rider continued on, but I was thoroughly in shock. Not sure if I broke anything and no idea what the state my searing skin was in. I collected myself and started riding (it usually feels better if you stay warm, right?). My entire left side hurt. Every bump. Hubby asked once if I wanted to quit. I said no. He asked again and said it was the last time he was asking. I had come for a feather and wanted to get one. We finished. And not last, either. It took me 8:21:27.

Some day I hope to be able to ride that many miles in less than 24 hours! A great goal that everyone set and definitely cool for the finishers.

Great write-up, btw!! Thoroughly enjoyed it, and was glad to see a few photos.

Displaced Southerner
    Dec 2004
    Nice work IBB and Lynda. Y'all are a huge inspiration to the aspiring endurance racer in me!

Either of you heading out for the Kaibab Monstercross? If so, see you there.

Kudos!!
    Carol Ann
    Whatever you can do or dream you can do, do it now. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.
    ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast