Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Women and impulse shopping

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  formica 
#1 ·
had to get me one of these yesterday:

(FSR Expert Womens')

AND one for the hubby:

Kona Dawg Primo

Nothing like a little sale on some top end stuff(big savings, end of year) shopping. I came into some $$ and well you know how it goes.

I couldn't sleep last night I was so excited. I am so happy to get hubby a new bike, he's always been a "it's not broken yet" type but come on a 1993 hard tail? :)

See less See more
#4 ·
Sweet!

I'm green w/envy!

those specialized bikes are cool!! A friend of mine has one. Makes me wonder what it would be like to be a "normal sized" person and to be able to try/buy things "off the shelf".

formica said:
he's always been a "it's not broken yet" type but come on a 1993 hard tail? :)
ok...this is 'effin funny. i'm sure he'll love it. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
formica said:
I couldn't sleep last night I was so excited. I am so happy to get hubby a new bike, he's always been a "it's not broken yet" type but come on a 1993 hard tail? :)
Well if he doesn't like it I'll take it off your hands for you.... Is it a medium?

Nice buys, looks like you're in for some fun riding over on the cold and dry side.

#6 · (Edited)
hee hee hee. I feel a Friday afternoon hooky attack coming on soon.

DM, it's a large. And what hubby is going to complain when the wife drags him to the LBS, LBS guy has three different bikes out and says, "do you like any of these?". He hated the SC Blur, it was a toss up between the Kona and a Specialized. The Kona made him smile more.

He's been on a great classic, a Specialized M2 Comp HT, really nice bike for back then, full xtr and so on. I put a Bomber fork on it a few years ago yada yada...

BRG, I was actually surprised that it feels so nice off the rack. I'm fairly small-ish ( 5-3) and its a medium. I take back everything negative I've ever said about WSD. LBS guy was so cute: while hubby was test riding I said, what do you have that I might like. He says he's worried about offending me as he takes me into the back room, and I'm thinking "posters of naked chicks on bikes". Nope, it's the sky blue Stumpy, demo, ridden just a few hours they say, and he's been saving it for someone special. Offended by color? I think not. I told him I'd be offended if he put a gel comfort seat on it.

Taking those guys fresh baked cookies every now and then pays off.

~f.

#7 ·
formica said:

I was actually surprised that it feels so nice off the rack. I'm fairly small-ish ( 5-3) and its a medium. I take back everything negative I've ever said about WSD.
~f.
That's what I have and I am your size. I didn't have to do a single thing to it and it fits great. I have the comp though, but I really dig the expert. You will love it! Enjoy!

#8 ·
formica said:

DM, it's a large. And what hubby is going to complain when the wife drags him to the LBS, LBS guy has three different bikes out and says, "do you like any of these?". He hated the SC Blur, it was a toss up between the Kona and a Specialized. The Kona made him smile more.
Sigh. I'm pretty sure I'd take a medium on the Kona. I've got short legs for my height.

You get the good SO prize. That is a darn nice ride, I was window shopping the Dawgs when I was looking for Full Suspension. Fits the bill for a burly do-it-all bike. Then I went single speed and now I'm looking at steel SS specific hardtails. There's always something to dream of when you're supposed to be reading "Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records: Application Profile for Authority Records."

#10 ·
How will this make him feel empowered?

So did you check with him first to find out if it was what he wanted? Did it have the right components? Did he get to be properly fit? Was it the color he wanted? Did you usurp his right of choice? Did you take away his control? Maybe he really loved his hardtail? Did you dis him by displacing his HT? :eekster:

Kidding! Kidding! I just couldn't resist.
:D

You get footrubs for at least a month.:thumbsup:

#11 ·
Berkeley Mike said:
So did you check with him first to find out if it was what he wanted? Did it have the right components? Did he get to be properly fit? Was it the color he wanted? Did you usurp his right of choice? Did you take away his control? Maybe he really loved his hardtail? Did you dis him by displacing his HT? :eekster:

Kidding! Kidding! I just couldn't resist.
:
Oh you brat! Well I can play too........
Notice that formica of course did the absolute first and most important thing straight off - instead of asking complete strangers in a forum what he might like, she actaully had him ride a few and bought the one he chose, not the one she *thought* he should have!

Congrats formica, that's awesome, I can feel your grin all the way down here in california!

#14 · (Edited)
I said, " I got my check and I am going to buy you a full suspension bike". Like he's going to complain. We started at the shop that had the most bikes for him to test ride, and I bs'd with the guys while he tried out bikes. Eventually he said, I like THIS one.

Berkeley Mike said:
You get footrubs for at least a month.:thumbsup:
Footrubs? That's all? I was thinking more like ..... nevermind....:D

#16 ·
badjenny said:
I want to go impulse shopping too!!!

Nice Purchases, enjoy the new rides. Post action pics. :thumbsup:
On impluse, I had lbs guy add some nice blue skewers to the rig. :)

No action pics yet, but here's the quickie report.

We went and got fitted ( a few adjustments, set the suspension) and off we went to Beacon Hill, our local technical riding area that has both techhy XC and downhill freeride stuff. Short version; Mr. Formica is as happy as a pig in poo.:D From no suspension to 5" of travel?:thumbsup: He is really having a fun time pointing the bike up and down anything he can think of.

Me? Having a little trouble with the shifters.:rolleyes: Climbing feels different, but oh does it feel good. I don't have to think about preloading it to huck a little air.:thumbsup: Hubby says, don't turn, go straight ( down) there!! Holy crap!! This bike just ate it up and was twice as fast ( don't grab those brakes girl - my first ride with discs if you can believe it...) Those tight switchbacks, omigod, turns so tight...

No pics. But some gromms mumbled wow nice bike to hubby as they rode by. And a guy in the parking lot stopped me to check out my....fork.

Speaking of gromms, ya gotta love the shop kids. I was going on about how it's my birthday this weekend, and I was going to be 47, and the kid is all...no way.... LOL, happy birthday to me.

#19 ·
formica said:
I was going on about how it's my birthday this weekend, and I was going to be 47, and the kid is all...no way.... LOL, happy birthday to me.
Happy Birthday!

Mine was on Wednesday.

My "new" bike is a knolly Endorphine. Size small (I'm 5'3"), 5.5 inches of travel, under 30 lbs. It's actually a demo for the shop, but it's also sort of mine.

#21 ·
Congrats on the new bike Formica! Gotta say, I'm usually not a huge fan of brown, but the blue and white contrast really makes it. Should hide the dirt well. New bike stoke, wahoo!

Screampint-(drool) that endorphin looks sweet. There's a fellow here now on a Delerium and that gray color looks so nice. He's got it built up heavy though, your build looks great for general up/down riding. Nice.

#22 ·
jewels said:
Congrats on the new bike Formica! Gotta say, I'm usually not a huge fan of brown, but the blue and white contrast really makes it. Should hide the dirt well. New bike stoke, wahoo!
this one is sky blue, not listed in the catalog. It's been pouring here and the new toys are sitting the garage.:mad:

SuperKat said:
Hated the Blur? 1st time I've heard that one.
Well, it's the truth. he thought it was squirrelly. LBS has the Kona Dawg, the Blur, and a stumper FSR that he tried out for hours.
This is why I am a big holdout for "let them pick the bike" (guy or gal) I just made sure there was an appropriate selection to choose from. What if you buy something for someone who has an idea of what works, and they hate it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.