29ers Only.

Women in the Bike Industry - should we post here?

Denizens of the Women's Lounge -

I avoid posting more than rarely in an official capacity, as I worry about pushing the bounds of community vs. marketing. As a long time poster on MTBr via a private account, I find it tough to balance my opinions as a rider with my duties as a person who works with a bike company. I have been thinking though, that the stories of a woman in the industry might be of interest?

So, what do you think, what are the boundaries that we should respect? What are you interested in learning about? Do you have any interest in a insider/women's perspective in the industry?

I would love to hear from other industry women here, too. Why do you post/not post here?

Cheers,
    Carla

Niner Bikes

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

see me rollin, they hatin
    i'm totally cool with it, as long as it doesnt turn into a "29ers vs 26ers" debate
    fap

rather be riding
    I'm fairly new to the forum. It seems okay w/me. And I appreciate you asking us. On a totally random note, Carla, I met Mike Stanley at a Niner demo in NC and he said you and I are very similar looking.

29ers Only.
    Heh, that might not be a compliment. You have a lot of shin scars? :-)

Cheers,
    Carla

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

Moderator Moderator
    I am generally OK with industry people on MTBR as long as it doesn't border on infomercial, usually that is not a problem. I think the more difficult situation is when a rider is unhappy with a product - should a rep respond online? That can be a damned if you do, damned if you don't problem. But yes, share some scoop, I'm sure if you cross someone's "boundaries", you'll hear about it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    i'm totally cool with it, as long as it doesnt turn into a "29ers vs 26ers" debate
    Second that!

But in all seriousness I think it would be interesting to hear perspectives from people in the industry as long as it doesn't dissolve into product promotion. I'm sure it's a hard line to walk. I tend to post into the rider down forum out of curiosity and I sometimes find it difficult to find the balance between giving helpful advice versus providing diagnoses/treatments (I'm an orthopaedist).

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    I'm cool here too, as long as it doesn't turn into blatant ads. Besides, it's more interesting than the "What bike do I buy my GF?" posts

On the serious side, this is definitely welcome especially with my personal bad experience with WSD bikes, and industry women are the right people to talk to about this.