Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Win laundry detergent

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  *rt* 
#1 ·
My gf gives Win a thumbs up. Anyone else try it? I've tried OxyClean and baking soda with no noteable difference. I typically only buy products that are environmentally friendly but my earth friendly detergent is not getting the funk out of my cycling gear.

http://www.windetergent.com/our_tech.html

#3 ·
formica said:
It's over priced and repackaged laundery detergent with oxidizer in it. I think we discussed this extensively in former laundry thread somewheres around here.
I did a search and wasn't able to find a previous thread. Price isn't an issue for me if it actually works. Was the general opinion that it didn't work?

I'm experimenting now with pet odor removal products. We will see what happens after the first load is done. I don't mind being 'one of the boys' but I'm not enjoying smelling like one. :)

#4 ·
It works just fine. The jist of it is you can get the exact same results with regular detergent and a scoop of Biz or Oxyclean, which is less $$. I work with technical fabrics professionally, and I have been asked about this product lots over the years. There's nothing wrong with it all all, it's just marketing of detergent + oxiclean in one package

addendum;
Here's the other laundry thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=236474&highlight=detergent
I forgot that I had run the WIN thing past my technical fabrics mentor who also knows the chemistry of fibers and detergent, and she confirmed my suspicions about WIN. But hey, use it if it make you happy.

#5 ·
formica said:
It works just fine. The jist of it is you can get the exact same results with regular detergent and a scoop of Biz or Oxyclean, which is less $$. I work with technical fabrics professionally, and I have been asked about this product lots over the years. There's nothing wrong with it all all, it's just marketing of detergent + oxiclean in one package
I can vouch for Formica's recipie. I have used Win, but I defer to the oxyclean + detergent thing as it is more convenient, cheaper and easier to find on the shelves. With 2 cyclists in the household we have a lot of bike laundry and go through a lot of soap.

Also for the really stanky stuff formica's recipie to soak it in biz overnight works quite well.

#6 ·
Stinky Bike Gear recipe:

Try this. Soak in "Biz" overnight, at least 12 hours. this is an enzyme
based presoak that goes after organic matter, not your regular presoak.
Then, rinse that out and then run through the wash with a laundry product
called Oxyclean, which is not an detergent it's an additive. You should be
able to get that at any supermarket.

#7 ·
FWIW I use cloth diapers, which with a front loading washer plus a kid with somewhat sensitive skin has been something of a learn-as-you-go laundry project. Jenn of CottonBabies.com is something of a cloth diaper guru and has recommended oxyclean regularly especially for HE washers. For the occasional "stripping" cloth diapers of buildup she's recommended a SMALL amount of plain ol' Dawn dish soap (and make sure it's well rinsed afterwards of course). The Dawn hint has really come in handy for a variety of laundry items including husband work clothes, since he gets grease all over them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.