Quiet Professional

Wife measured for saddle need suggestions please

Wife was measured for a saddle the other day and they said she needs a 155mm wide saddle. I am having problems finding saddles in this size. Either too big or too small. What do you ladies suggest?

Team Chilidog!
    Where did you get it measured? The only people I know who use the ass-o-meter is Specialized. My sit bones (which is what they measure) was at 143mm. Saddles are one of those things that are so personal, only she will be able to tell you if she's comfortable on it or not. I can't imagine trying to buy a saddle for someone else, or vice versa.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Quiet Professional
    It was at the lbs. They sell giant, specialized, and other bikes. The measurements were for a base so she could try them out. Right now anything but a large padded seat will hurt her rear as she has never ridden a lot, and that is why we got her measured.

Moderator Moderator
    Specialized saddles come in 155. Not everyone is the same but I like both the Ariel and the Lithia. Specialized Bicycle Components They have some in the outlet too Specialized Bicycle Components, but the LBS probably has trial ones so that might be less $ potentially wasted.

Quiet Professional
    How is a womens saddle shaped differently?

Dudette
    Women's saddles generally have a groove or "love canal" running down the middle of the saddle. Our sit bones tend to be wider, hence the saddle may be wider. Our saddles may also be a little shorter in length than men's saddles. It is all about preference, though. I've had plenty of trial and error when it comes to saddles and for me, it's the Specialized Ariel 143mm that is the most comfortable. I've tried other women's saddles out there, with the same width, and they just weren't as comfortable, so going by just the width itself doesn't necessarily guarantee a comfortable fit. A lot of shops will let you "try before you buy". You may see if any of your local shops offer that?

Quiet Professional

Re: Wife measured for saddle need suggestions please

Thanks for the help. Will see if she can try some different ones.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Chef,

Yes, try to do one of those saddle programs at the LBS as there is no telling which would work best. My process was trial and error and somehow ended up with a mens saddle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    It was at the lbs. They sell giant, specialized, and other bikes. The measurements were for a base so she could try them out. Right now anything but a large padded seat will hurt her rear as she has never ridden a lot, and that is why we got her measured.
    Keep in mind that if she hasn't ridden much, any saddle, including a big padded one, is very likely going to hurt at first. She needs to be riding a few times per week to get over that initial hiney-pain hump.

mtbr member
    Many women's saddles (and a few men's) have an actual cut-out instead of the groove. That's what works for me. I had my sit-bones measured some years ago. Unfortunately the Specialized saddle I ended up with was an unmitigated disaster destined for the thrift store donation bin. Some other saddles to try are the Selle Italia "Lady" and "Diva" Gel Flow, and the Terry Butterfly. I rode Butterflys for years, am currently loving the Diva. We are all different!