Rides with Scissors

While some people have "upgradeitis"...

I went with "downgradeitis". Sort of. It's more like a "wantedsomethingtotallydifferentfromwhatIalreadyhad itis".

Migraines have all but ended any enjoyment I used to get from exercise and riding, they can last hours to weeks at a time. Since no doctor seems to be able to "fix" the issue thus far, I've had to find and avoid triggers. Overheating is one trigger (need to move to a cold climate), pounding from running is another (there goes an easy cardio exercise when I don't have much time), so it's been fun finding ways to get some cardio in without pounding and overheating. Another trigger is/are positions that involve being "face down", no more road riding or many yoga positions (no loss there).

MTB doesn't bother me as much due a more upright position as long as I don't overdo anything (getting up early when it's cooler isn't a problem for me)... So I was looking around for a bicycle to ride on the road that would have me sitting up, as well as having the potential as a grocery-getter of sorts since I live within 5mi of multiple grocery stores and discount retailers. I found the Kona Dew dl. There's just something about that basket that makes me smile.

Bike posing with a tree, red pedals have been replaced with black ones:

While some people have "upgradeitis"...-kona_zps0f4c6fe6.jpg

Better view of the basket:

While some people have "upgradeitis"...-basketandbell_zpsb2368cf9.jpg

The bike came with a bell, it has such a polite "excuse me please" tone. So I added another bell... this one yells, "GET OUT OF MY WAY!!"

Name:  skullbell2_zps18711c4e.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  43.3 KB

Also bought matching valve/bubble caps (complete with photobomb by William the cat):

Name:  bubblevalve_zps899e068e.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  32.8 KB

Riding this around just makes me giggle! It's almost like being a kid again. Now to find black, NOT leather streamers... the bike begs for streamers. I also plan to add a rear-rack and lighting as funds permit.
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Nice choice! I "Dew" hope it keeps the migraines away.

Rides with Scissors
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^ Nice choice! I "Dew" hope it keeps the migraines away.
    It doesn't aggravate things at least. My head has been having various levels of pounding since last Tuesday. I have meds, but they're expensive, make me feel dopey, and the "rebound" headache that can occur after the meds wear off is sometimes worse than the original! So I avoid taking them unless I just can't stand it anymore. After a stressful week with psycho-boss I was needing to get out, but wasn't up to a mtb ride and it was raining... so the Dew and I went out for a short spin on local roads and bike paths after the worst of the rain had passed. It's a TANK! Heavier than my FS mtb... so I won't be going anywhere fast. The cool misty air and slight endorphin release from exercise (even if it was easy) helped ease the throbbing some, definitely didn't make it worse like a ride on the road bike would have.
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

Team Chilidog!
    Wow, really nice I love the happy skulls. Been debating on getting a cruiser for grocery shopping.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Aloha!! LOVE IT!! FUN!!! Great post!!

Slothful dirt hippie
    The bike is great, and soooo much love for the bell + matching caps....
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."