Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 37 of 37
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SunnyNAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    62
    [QUOTE=Stripes;10091034]I've spent way too much on frames to get that "better fit."

    It's pretty much dependent on your body, since there are no real standards for fit, and how your body is put together can change the fit. I have a proportionally short torso and long legs for my size.

    Hah, I am exactly the opposite with short legs and a long torso! I have my Jekyll dialed in pretty good as far as cockpit fit but the bike just seems a little big.

    I found out that the Yeti trailer will be making the rounds in AZ this spring. I am hoping to demo an xs before I lay down the $$.

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SunnyNAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Sorry you're having a hard time finding something to demo. You and I have similar problems. Even smalls are hard to demo, as most shops just have mediums and larges

    This is the reason I've gone to a small builder. It's a little easier for me to find something that fits, and with semi-custom options to tweak things as I want them.
    Yes! You have no idea just how far I would drive to be able to test one out! A lot of $$ to buy before try! I have studied the geometry and I think it will work. I'll let you know if I just get impatient or actually find one to demo. Dang, if I were a M or L, I could buy them used...no such luck at S or XS.

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SunnyNAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by GooberGirl View Post
    I just started biking, my boyfriend is teaching me the basics right now. I got an Extra Small frame Giant Trance x2 that weighs about 30 lbs. I am about 5' 3" and 110 lbs. I love the bike so far, its a great size for me, it looks really small but i think it is a good fit for me and would suggest it for someone around my size.
    Thanks! I appreciate your input.

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kat71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    124
    I used to ride box store bikes, but they didn't last long. My first quality mountain bike was a 15" Gary Fisher Paragon (hard tail)... I bit the 29er bug. I loved the bike until I bought my baby in 2008. A 14' titanium Fat Back. I ride it year round and if the summer trails get too rooty I just let some air out of the tires. I know a full suspension would be faster but it wouldn't be as much fun.

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bethany1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    659
    I ride a fat bike, Mukluk and an off road touring Fargo. Saw the fat bike at the store after buying the Fargo, took it for a ride and I was sold. Bought the Fargo to ride the rural roads that a road bike can't do. Only problem I've had is I was told a 19 would fit and it's too big, but I was too new at the time to realize it.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    151
    After a raft of heavy and badly sized hardtails that inevitably got stolen I decided to stick with MTB and take it seriously (this was age 40+). At 5'9" I don't have problems finding bikes that fit so I splurged on a Spec Epic. It has been like a good friend as I have progressively ridden more and longer and gained confidence. Of course it is an XC racer and twitchy so eventually I supplemented the stable with a more AM focused Pivot Mach 5. I still have my beloved Epic and the Mach 5 has been upgraded to a Mach 5.7 which is comfy and inspires confidence. I am lucky to have 2 bikes to choose for the conditions and lack the skills to have a one size fits all bike!! The epic is light and lively I have travelled over 15000kms on it but it beats me up on long technical rides, the Pivot is just a big sofa and I love it for those gnarly trails.

    I live in NZ we have some fantastic trails. I am starting to write up some of my rides to hopefully encourage other kiwi women to get out into our beautiful country and ride.

    Some pics can be found here if you are interested to see what New Zealand has to offer

    Hanging out on the Heaphy - MTB Heaphy Track NZ - Silent Revolution MTB

    Off the beaten track - NZ St James Cycle Trail - Silent Revolution MTB

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MtbRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by tahic View Post

    I live in NZ we have some fantastic trails. I am starting to write up some of my rides to hopefully encourage other kiwi women to get out into our beautiful country and ride.

    Some pics can be found here if you are interested to see what New Zealand has to offer

    Hanging out on the Heaphy - MTB Heaphy Track NZ - Silent Revolution MTB

    Off the beaten track - NZ St James Cycle Trail - Silent Revolution MTB
    Hi Tahic! your post is very timely for me, since I'm about a month away from a trip to NZ! We're already planning a mountain bike day on the Rameka track near Abel Tasman Park. Any suggestions for a ride near the Queenstown or Wanaka area? We are looking for some real scenic xc-type singletrack, neither of of us is a downhiller. Home is Colorado, so rocks, roots and climbs are fine.

    Also, if you think of anything that isn't in the usual NZ guidebooks that we shouldn't miss. There's not much out there "geared" to off-road cyclists. We are spending most of our time in the South Island, and plan to hike the Milford Track. Thanks for any advice!
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    151
    Hi there and sorry for the delayed reply...I hope you enjoy NZ. I certainly enjoy Colorado we have a son living there. Last trip I was lucky enough to ride The Monarch Crest Trail and some of the Crested Butte trails spectacular!!!

    So NZ ..are you flying into Christchurch? If so you could consider the St James trail I described above it's a fantastic ride.
    Queenstown/Wanaka are beautiful but heavy with tourists, QT is popular with downhills lots of heli drops and big downhill bombs. If i had to recommend a track to do it would be the Roaring Meg pack track, not that far from QT and spectacular, it is big day and you would need to be fit. The ride is described in Mountain Biking South you can order it online here Ground Effect - mountain bike clothing.
    There is bike park in QT and the lake trails would all be worth checking out for a quick blast. The gondola area also has trails but again probably more downhill. Wanaka has a great gentle trail along the outlet, a nice area of trails called Sticky Forest, a gentle but scenic track called Deans Bank, you can combine the Outlet and Deans bank for a reasonable spin. Lake Hawea near Wanaka is beautiful and you can ride a fair bit of the circumference but not the entire way around unless you race it April which I will be doing! The link above will also allow you to buy the Kennett Bros Classic MTB rides and all these can be found it that book. The NZ government is funding lots of trail development so for ideas go to that website and have a nosy Nga Haerenga, The New Zealand Cycle Trail.

    Let me know what you are interested in for more ideas.
    Last edited by tahic; 01-26-2013 at 09:48 PM.

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cyclokitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    25
    My first bike was a comfort bike turned commuter 2005 KHS Town and Country 100 with the usual saddle, grips, seatpost (the original was an awful cheap suspension post), pedals (awful plastic with no grip except hopefulness) as well as rack, basket, and fenders for commuting ease. That was back in the summer of 2005 when I was a super plus sized Athena and standing all of 5'1. Other than park trails, I did absolutely no mountain biking but wished on every ride that I could try out the forest trails in Toronto.

    Now, I'm still 5'1 but I've lost 40 lbs so while I'm still plus sized but have more muscle. More importantly, my first real mountain bike was purchased: a 2011 Jamis Durango 1.0 hard tail in a mighty 14" size in September of 2012. I've only made tentative steps towards trail riding so far but I'm eager for spring to get back on the Don Valley trails and improve myself. I'm using the winter to lose more weight, watch mountain bike videos on youtube, and shop online for the bits and the pieces to personalize my bike. I utterly hate the seatpost and pedals that came with her (the seatpost bolts are nearly useless at my weight class) and pedals are oddly small considering I wear a size 7 shoe.

    I'm keeping my eyes away from full suspension bikes and beefy downhill bikes. My skills don't merit them even though they trigger my lust like crazy.
    2011 Jamis Durango 1.0 Femme
    2005 KHS T&C commuter bike

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclokitty View Post
    I've only made tentative steps towards trail riding so far but I'm eager for spring to get back on the Don Valley trails and improve myself. I'm using the winter to lose more weight, watch mountain bike videos on youtube, and shop online for the bits and the pieces to personalize my bike.

    I'm keeping my eyes away from full suspension bikes and beefy downhill bikes. My skills don't merit them even though they trigger my lust like crazy.
    On Feb 2 and 3 Joyride 150 in Markham is offering a women's MTB weekend clinic for all levels. The cost is cheap ($40 for the weekend includes lunch). Check out their website....then you don't have to wait for spring or just watch videos. Just a thought. The website says there is a station for bike sizing, fitting etc plus skills clinics. I don't know anyone going but thought what the heck, so I registered and now I'm very excited

  11. #36
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,528
    Welcome Cyclokitty & Sagwa!

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MtbRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by tahic View Post
    Hi there and sorry for the delayed reply...I hope you enjoy NZ. I certainly enjoy Colorado we have a son living there. Last trip I was lucky enough to ride The Monarch Crest Trail and some of the Crested Butte trails spectacular!!!

    So NZ ..are you flying into Christchurch? If so you could consider the St James trail I described above it's a fantastic ride.
    Queenstown/Wanaka are beautiful but heavy with tourists, QT is popular with downhills lots of heli drops and big downhill bombs. If i had to recommend a track to do it would be the Roaring Meg pack track, not that far from QT and spectacular, it is big day and you would need to be fit. The ride is described in Mountain Biking South you can order it online here Ground Effect - mountain bike clothing.
    There is bike park in QT and the lake trails would all be worth checking out for a quick blast. The gondola area also has trails but again probably more downhill. Wanaka has a great gentle trail along the outlet, a nice area of trails called Sticky Forest, a gentle but scenic track called Deans Bank, you can combine the Outlet and Deans bank for a reasonable spin. Lake Hawea near Wanaka is beautiful and you can ride a fair bit of the circumference but not the entire way around unless you race it April which I will be doing! The link above will also allow you to buy the Kennett Bros Classic MTB rides and all these can be found it that book. The NZ government is funding lots of trail development so for ideas go to that website and have a nosy Nga Haerenga, The New Zealand Cycle Trail.

    Let me know what you are interested in for more ideas.
    Crested Butte is gorgeous, one of our favorite places to ride. We try to get there for at least a long weekend every summer. The Monarch Crest ride is one we do at least once a year, too. You rode some of our very best when you visited!

    I'll send a PM so we don't throw this thread off-topic. Thanks for being willing to share some advice! If you come back to Colorado in the future, I'd be happy to steer you toward some other worthwhile rides.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •