mtbr member
    Mar 2009

What happens to all these bikes guys buy for their SO?

I would think that not every bike purchased actually gets used. Either the person it was intended for does not love mountain biking as much as she thought she would, or the relationship goes sour (this post is a total downer, I know). So where are these bikes? Who is selling a bike for a 5'3" woman?

I have been trying to find good used hard tail bikes for my husband and I for about a year, and although I have found plenty that fit the bill for him I have found hardly any for me.

The fact that I posted this at all should indicate my level of desperation

see me rollin, they hatin
    they get sold! well, most of them anyway. i've heard many stories of BFs and hubbies trying to get their SO's in to MTB, buying them a nice bike, and it just never catches on.
    fap

mtbr member
    In my case, the two bikes built for my S.O.'s are still with them. They've moved on and taken the bikes with them. One's a Turner Flux 23.5 lbs. The other is a Titus X fully custom built 24 lb trail bike. Both bikes were built up as "spare bikes" over the years. In both cases the relationship then started and they needed a bike to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    It's true - you don't see too many XS/S bikes for sale about... probably because when you do find one, it is quickly snapped up!

I think that smaller bikes get handed down to the kidlets (if kids are involved) rather than sold.

Rides with Scissors
    Quote Originally Posted by jski View Post
    I would think that not every bike purchased actually gets used. Either the person it was intended for does not love mountain biking as much as she thought she would, or the relationship goes sour (this post is a total downer, I know). So where are these bikes?
    I took the bike with me and still use it. I'm also well over 5'3"! Finding a bike that fits is one of the (very) few advantages of being a tall woman.
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm guessing you've already combed Craig's List---any other big sports sale events out your way? We've got a big annual everything bike blowout here--new and used stuff--called Velo Swap, but it looks like it is just Denver.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterope View Post
    It's true - you don't see too many XS/S bikes for sale about... probably because when you do find one, it is quickly snapped up!

I think that smaller bikes get handed down to the kidlets (if kids are involved) rather than sold.
    As someone who's sold small bikes, I can tell you they tend to stay on the market a while and less for less than you want for them.

My husband's Ventana sold in less than 24 hours (a medium), but my small frames take F-O-R-E-V-E-R to sell, and usually for much less than I'm asking.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

pin it
    I sell my used bikes through my LBS. It's convenient because customers can come in and see it, test it and buy. Sounds easy? Not!

Size small/smaller bikes do not sell quickly. I bought an unused Norco DJ frame a couple years ago from my LBS. It remained unsold at the store for 2 years. The LBS reduced the price to $99 because no one wanted a size small. It was perfect for me.

I tried to sell my original Syren ... It remained unsold at the LBS for one year. I took it back and built it up again and rode it for 2 more years

My husband on the other hand has no problem selling bikes.

For the OP check LBS, bike show/bike swaps for used bikes or even older used bikes. I would have a difficult time purchasing a bike without testing for fit or inspection.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm selling my beloved hardtail - I'm 5'4, with a Niner EMD9 XS Custom Built. It's freaking awesome and I can ship it (kept the box and all the shipping materials). I'll PM you to see if it's within your range!

Rock n' Roller
    My husband purchased my first bike for me. I rode the @$% out of that beautiful machine. My experience has actually been pretty opposite. When it was time to upgrade, my lovely size sm FS sold in about 12 hours. I think it has something to do with being in a space where a lot of ladies are excited about bikes and want to get riding. I also priced it to sell as I wanted someone to love it and ride it as much as I did. God, I loved that bike.

On the other side of the spectrum, I found a killer deal on a small Ibis. Size small + 26 wheels during the 27.5 craze = a 6K bike for about a third of the price. Sometimes it's good to be short.

I've had a lot of luck working with my LBS when it's time to buy a new set of wheels. They know me and they know bikes; what's more, they know where to find them. These forums have also been amazing as have community pages on facebook (gunnison and CB marketplace). Speaking of which, anyone have a small/xs downhill bike that needs a good home?