Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Else..

mtbr member

What Else..

do you do? Just curious on what other activities all of us engage in as well as mountain biking. Are you a runner, tri, ski, etc? And what do you do to train off the trail? Do you have a cycle ops or other trainer. Do you spend time on a road bike? Or maybe spinning or fitness classes. I'm looking for ways to train effectively off the trail. Any ideas?

I currently do a little tiny bit of road biking & fitness classes.
    I used to ski but not so practical in AZ

Don't worry, be happy!
    I am a skier(alpine and tele), try to get in two days a week during the snow season. My hubby is a ski patroller so we have a ski date every Thursday. In the spring, summer and fall,we do a lot of camping tied in with mountain biking and my hubby's passion which is whitewater rafting. For fitness, I am very committed to what my trainer calls functional fitness classes. It is NOT crossfit. We do everything from circuits to metabolic training to plyometrics, jumping, balance work, bosu, med balls, TRX. I love it; keeps me in shape for everything else. I also ride a trainer a couple of times a week in the winter. We discovered Sufferfest videos last year... the only way to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't have any structured workouts that I do. Off the bike I mostly trail run because all I have to do is put on my running shoes and I am out my front door to trails near my house. I do road bike but not as much as I use to - maybe once a month. I have some weights that I lift at home after I run.
    I try to go skiing once or twice a year.
    I was thinking yesterday that I should start doing some yoga or stretching because my muscles feel tight all the time anymore.

Gnarly
    Daily yoga
    Spin classes
    Road cycling
    Free Weights
    Back Country skiing
    Alpine skiing
    Ice biking
    Might purchase an indoor trainer

I also assist my husband with trail building and trail maintenance which is a very good workout. (Shovelling dirt, raking, sawing logs. carrying rocks, snipping branches etc)
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Dudette
    The last couple of years have been fairly mild in regards to snow in the NE, so I've been lucky enough to ride all year. If the forecasters are right about this year, it looks like we'll be getting a lot more snow. I'm hoping to add a fat bike to my collection so I can continue riding and when I can't, I enjoy cross country/back country skiing. I've also contemplated getting a trainer, but to be honest, I just don't enjoy getting my exercise indoors. We have a hockey rink at the university I work at and they have it open for an hour at lunch time for people to skate, so I try to do that a couple of times a week. I just don't seem to get as "excited" about exercising if it's not on my mountain bike. I have friends who enjoy the downtime from biking...I just don't feel the same way.
    MTB4Her.com

Moderator Moderator
    Some other activities I enjoy:
    Year round bikecommuting in VT (M-F unless some conflict). Even if you can't ride the whole way, combining a daily ride with bus/car/train is a great exercise routine and anit-stress.

Daily dog trailwalking

Snow/sand biking (Fatback fatbike)

Back-40 type xc skiing

Fatbike trail packing (on snowshoe and Marquette skis)

Millstone trail crew (we have organized days plus individual's adopted trails)

Quiet water kayaking/canoeing

Hiking

mtbr member
    One of the advantages of living in the desert is year round mountain biking! I occasionally road bike... only when necessary! In the winter/spring I try to sneak in as many ski road trips as possible.

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    Mountain biking is my first love but...

Crossfit and dirt (moto) biking are really fun too and take my time. Both make me a better technical rider but neither make me faster uphill on my mtb.

So many fun things to do

Team Chilidog!
    Train your brain too. I build Lego sculptures and juggle.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Wow, you all are impressive. I ski in the winter, but that's about it. Mountain biking and skiing. An working in the gym/boot camp when I can. Sadly, that last item ends up being a 3 months on, 3 months off kind of thing. I know I need to make it more permanent.

-laine

Don't worry, be happy!
    mountain biking and skiing is good.
    I just hate having to shift seasons in my brain.

mtbr member
    Well, I live in the Bay Area, so hoping I can continue to ride every now and then on the warmer weekends or the crowded holiday weekends when I want to avoid Tahoe.

mtbr member
    Whoops... Didn't realized I was posting in the women's forum Sorry, it won't let me delete
    Last edited by hokiebrett; 11-05-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: I'm not a chick... lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Sounds great! My brain gets a pretty good workout between work and school. For the past four years I have been knocking out two classes a semester for Operational Meteorology. Biking is my release!
    I want to start working on training for some endurance to maybe race 10-30 miles so I am adding additional cardio. I don't know much about "training" so any wisdom would be appreciated. Do any of you use trainers or spin bikes?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Let's see some Legos!

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Let's see some Legos!
    Ok, sure

Maneko Neko ("beckoning cat")

All of them are here: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/tig...7623413310505/

MTBR won't let me link to anymore pics on this post.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Cool! Love the tiger too. When I was a kid FAO Schwartz (the toy store) had people paid to make Legos & stuff - I thought it was the best job in the whole world!

Last trail leafblowing of the season today I think, all the leaves are down, plus deer season starts soon and most of the trails close for that. A couple hours of leafblowing and I am too tired to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    There are so many options to keep in shape and entertained especially over winter!

Cross country skiing - I love cross country skiing at night, there is something about being under the moon and starts makes it even more fun.

Cyclocross - makes suffering fun I ride a lot of road and trails. I've noticed those who ride mtb are a lot better at 'cross than those who do just road - so you would have an advantage

Snow biking - There used to be some in-town mountain bike trails along the river that were perfect for snow/fat biking in the winter, but they were flooded and washed out this spring I'm sure I'll still get out to ride in the snow this winter tough, parking lots are great because you get to play on the big snow piles and ramp off the little ones!

Running - I've been trying to go on a short run once a week (also helps for cyclocross if you are interested in that)

Yoga - I may go once or twice during the road/mtb/cyclocross season, but try to go more often over the winter. I really should make time for it throughout the years though, I can feel a huge difference when I do go.

Road riding - if the roads aren't terrible I'll take out my cross bike on the road in the winter. I ride road 3-5 times a week during road season and switch to gravel in the fall. It helps a ton for endurance on the mtb bike.

Trainer - last for a reason because the trainer sucks.... the Sufferfest videos are by far the best ones out there. HHFN even has feed from a ladies race!

mtbr member
    I lift weights, which is actually really hard to balance with biking in the summer. Have the times my legs are really sore during my rides. I guess I snowboard too but I've been getting really annoyed with the prices and the traffic so I'm considering skipping it all together this year.

Slothful dirt hippie
    XC skiing as much through winter as I can get.

Rollers, weight lifting, circuit training, step bench, etc etc etc on the bad weather days/shoulder seasons.

The mountains here are young and steep.... need to have a year-round plan to ride them.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

I like mtn biking, too

What Else..

Aside from working a desk job, ...

My first love was snowboarding, but that is very limited, so mtn biking was the obvious next choice, and with the mild winters on the central CA coast, it is basically a year round thing and I skipped snowboarding last year.

I love Bikram Yoga and found it to be complementary to mtb'ing.

I know I need to do more core exercises and weights, but I do not enjoy it so I skip those workouts a lot.

One thing I found useful is riding my hardtail 29'er on the road. It builds a lot of strength and i don't need to buy another bike.

There's also hiking, a tiny bit of trail running, and the occasional backpacking trip.
    Last edited by shredchic; 11-08-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

Gnarly
    We picked up some winter activity items the other day.

What Else..-1450829_415037538625260_1670075978_n.jpg

We keep biking until the snow gets too deep
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Wow! You guys are amazing! Some great ideas here. Thanks everyone!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    We picked up some winter activity items the other day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1450829_415037538625260_1670075978_n.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	846441

We keep biking until the snow gets too deep
    Louis Garneau snowshoes? Who knew? I've been jonesing for a new pair, was looking at those msr's with extendable (add-on 6") tails and supposedly easy on bindings, but have resisted so far, since I mostly pack fatbike trails with them and take the dog on trailwalks. Anybody have those MSR evo-tours or similar?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

What Else..

Nice Legos, stripes. I play hockey, downhill ski, camp, hike and I enjoy eating. I hate running although I used to play soccer. I guess I like to chase a ball or puck or basically need to be tricked into exercising. Nice snowshoes, J. I love my MSR ones.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast