Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Bored Carp

What do you want to get better at this spring?

I have a few trail skeletons in the closet and better ride-ups are key. So, I spent some time the other day working on my ledge-up technique. I was reminded of how much a little skills practice every week helps.

What skill do you want to improve this spring? Do you have something in particular you want to conquer? Post it up! Would be fun to see if we can get some successes in the WL this season!

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I want mountain biking to be fun again. I experienced extreme burn out from working on advocacy issues and only rode my bike once last year. I'm reluctant to go ride some trail systems that I was working on, as I'm afraid I won't be able to disassociate from the issues that I was working on that still no doubt exist. I need trail blinders that filter in fun!

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    I want mountain biking to be fun again. I experienced extreme burn out from working on advocacy issues and only rode my bike once last year. I'm reluctant to go ride some trail systems that I was working on, as I'm afraid I won't be able to disassociate from the issues that I was working on that still no doubt exist. I need trail blinders that filter in fun!
    Been there with that one. People don't realise how much work is required for the advocacy/running an organisation that completely takes away the fun of everything.

It took me a few years since I left Mere Mortals 3-4 years ago, but mountain biking is fun and relaxing again.

Chuky- Nice ledge riding skills.

Still working on getting up the nerve for big group rides, not quite there yet.

Personal goals (related to riding):
    Lose 30 lbs (already lost 30) to increase my power to weight ratios. This and spinning intervals is the only thing that help my climbing.

Riding goals:
    - Get better at trusting myself at speed and laying off the brakes. The bike and rider both perform better at speed and it's a big one for me this year.
    - Ride more technical trails. Been selling myself short the past couple years by not riding more challenging trails.
    - Dismounting on my right side. Never been comfortable doing this (not sure why), so it's something I need to practice so trails that fall to the left aren't so scary (big hangup for me)
    - Finish building my DJ so I can use it for pumping, BMX tracks, urban and very sad attempts at trials
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Des(s)ert Rat
    Switchbacks.... Yes, I can do them if they are easy. But I'm not comfortable on them and as soon as they get chunky and ledgey in the middle, I'm off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I had a confidence-busting end-o in a rock garden last summer. Nothing was injured except my confidence. I'd like to get it back.

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint View Post
    Switchbacks.... Yes, I can do them if they are easy. But I'm not comfortable on them and as soon as they get chunky and ledgey in the middle, I'm off.
    Me too.

I want mountain biking to be fun again.
    Well, you'd better come hang out with us Canadians at KettleFest then

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH View Post
    Well, you'd better come hang out with us Canadians at KettleFest then
    bwahhahah... fun stuff.

Bored Carp
    Lots of good things to work on, so how are you all going to go about conquering them?
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    I have some of the usual things I'm continuing to work on - getting better at going up bigger ledges, practicing longer trackstands and wheelies and whatnot....

But I think the biggest thing is that I'm working on breathing more fully when I'm riding, and really paying attention to my body and instincts. Not doing things because my ego wants me to, and not backing off of things that I know I can push harder at, but finding balance.

the Dude memorial aviator
    I need trail blinders that filter in fun!
    We'll go riding when you come visit. Assuming it's not all rainy &c like last year.

I want to get better at eating. I'm going to practice a lot.

gabrielle
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

Des(s)ert Rat
    Well, I just built a couple trails that include some switchbacks. I really like the trails, so I will get plenty of practice.

Serenity now!
    1. I am going to join a local group ride and not worry about being too slow or not good enough. I am telling myself it's a group ride because they want newer riders to come along!

2. More confidence and speed on rocky downhill sections. This is coming along as I get experience, but some of it is a pure mind game.

3. More power and stamina (which would definitely benefit from dropping some unwanted poundage). I'm going to work on this by riding longer and more often, and adding some intervals (group rides will help with this as well).

Great question!

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    - Dismounting on my right side. Never been comfortable doing this (not sure why), so it's something I need to practice so trails that fall to the left aren't so scary (big hangup for me)
    This is a big one for me also. Hadn't thought about it until I did a quick /unthinking dismount that almost sent me down a ravine. I'm trying to be more conscious of which foot I put down (based on ledge or fall away), but also getting equally comfortable mounting and dismounting from both sides. Until that incident I really hadn't noticed how I move around the bike to always mount from the left too! I'd like either side to be mindless.
    My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Instagram, Twitter you'll find me as beerbikegirl

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post
    I had a confidence-busting end-o in a rock garden last summer. Nothing was injured except my confidence. I'd like to get it back.
    I hear ya! My last ride pre-winter had a rock induced endo. Been wondering if I'll get freaked in rock gardens this spring. I've played a bit at Rays MKE on the rocks over the winter but still feel a hesitancy.
    My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Instagram, Twitter you'll find me as beerbikegirl

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimikaw View Post
    This is a big one for me also. Hadn't thought about it until I did a quick /unthinking dismount that almost sent me down a ravine. I'm trying to be more conscious of which foot I put down (based on ledge or fall away), but also getting equally comfortable mounting and dismounting from both sides. Until that incident I really hadn't noticed how I move around the bike to always mount from the left too! I'd like either side to be mindless.
    I always prefer to mount/dismount from the left, too. But I know it is because I spent my adolescence riding horses.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimikaw View Post
    What do you do to improve? I have to lower my seat 5" and think about it before dismounting to the right. When I did a "combat" dismount to the right, I fell over. While it wasn't anything more than embarrassing, just curious to what I can do to get better and getting both sides even.

Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN View Post
    I always prefer to mount/dismount from the left, too. But I know it is because I spent my adolescence riding horses.
    Didn't do much horseback riding, but are you right-handed/right-sided? Curious to if dominate side affects which side you prefer to put your foot down on.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Other than the chunky, ledgy and steep switchbacks I need to work on (not that easy to find these in my immediate area), my main focus right now is improving fitness (cardio) and strength. Going to the gym 4 x/week, doing 45 mins cardio (minimum) and weights. Now with daylight savings time, I'll start commuting by bike from work at least 2 times per week (~20 miles).

Dudette
    Stripes - I totally identify with what you are saying! I am right-handed but mount on my left, dismount on my left, and clip in my left foot first. My left foot also always leads, especially on the downhills. I've tried leading with my right foot and it just feels very awkward and uncomfortable.

My list would be much shorter if the question were to ask "what don't you need to work on this spring?"

1) Obstacles - especially bridges (my nemesis) and log piles, specifically taller logpiles. I do better if the bridges are short and made of lumber vs. natural/logs. Finally conquered a ramped log over last year but again, it was made out of 2x4's and pretty smooth, even though it was steep. So frustrating to have to dismount and walk over/around something, especially when you've had your flow going up to that point.

2) Berms and switchbacks to the right. I have a very hard time turning to the right and leaning my bike into corners.

3) Steep technical climbs and descents.

I try not to get discouraged because where I am currently at is no where near where I would like to be. So I make a pact with myself to try at least one new thing on each ride, even if small. I guess that's one of the biggest reasons I enjoy mountain biking so much - there is always room for improvement and the ride is never boring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Endurance and nutrition!
    I signed up for ORAMM, which is a 65mile (11,000ft of climbing) mtb race in late July. This will be the toughest adventure I will have ever done to date.
    From now until race time....I need to improve my endurance immensely! My longest ride on a mtb is 33miles. I plan to do at least 3 centuries (road) between April - June. And lots and lots of miles on the mtb. My challenge is that I only get to ride on weekends and once during the week if I am lucky.
    Nutrition is the next thing I need to improve on. I'm not sure what I will need to consume and how many calories to intake on race day. So I have lots to learn (and improve on) between now and July 22nd.
    Suggestions are always welcome...

new but eager :-)
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by deirae88 View Post
    Endurance and nutrition!

Nutrition is the next thing I need to improve on. I'm not sure what I will need to consume and how many calories to intake on race day. So I have lots to learn (and improve on) between now and July 22nd.
    If you like to cook, I just got this cookbook http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...769&x=57142403 and highly recommend it! Great recipes and good info for endurance athletes. If you can't follow the link ; Google " The feed zone ".

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks "hike-run-bike"!!! I just scrolled through a few pages and it peeked my interest. Just ordered the book online.

new but eager :-)
    Dec 2011
    Thanks "hike-run-bike"!!! I just scrolled through a few pages and it peeked my interest. Just ordered the book online.

:thumbup: hope you enjoy it as much as I do :-D

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I want to gain confidence and endurance. And I want to be able to go ride off road at least once per week, so maybe find some other people that I can do group rides with.
    Nah, not really.

Moderator Moderator
    Endurance and nutrition!
    I signed up for ORAMM, which is a 65mile (11,000ft of climbing) mtb race in late July. This will be the toughest adventure I will have ever done to date.
    From now until race time....I need to improve my endurance immensely! My longest ride on a mtb is 33miles. I plan to do at least 3 centuries (road) between April - June. And lots and lots of miles on the mtb. My challenge is that I only get to ride on weekends and once during the week if I am lucky.
    Wow, I checked the website and that looks super challenging but well designed course! Preparing for and completing the centuries should help immensely, especially if they include plenty of climbing. Good luck with your awesome adventure!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast