Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What do you want to get better at this spring?

5K views 50 replies 31 participants last post by  kimikaw 
#1 ·
I have a few trail skeletons in the closet and better ride-ups are key. So, I spent some time the other day working on my ledge-up technique. I was reminded of how much a little skills practice every week helps.

What skill do you want to improve this spring? Do you have something in particular you want to conquer? Post it up! Would be fun to see if we can get some successes in the WL this season!

#2 ·
I want mountain biking to be fun again. I experienced extreme burn out from working on advocacy issues and only rode my bike once last year. I'm reluctant to go ride some trail systems that I was working on, as I'm afraid I won't be able to disassociate from the issues that I was working on that still no doubt exist. I need trail blinders that filter in fun!

#9 ·
I have some of the usual things I'm continuing to work on - getting better at going up bigger ledges, practicing longer trackstands and wheelies and whatnot....

But I think the biggest thing is that I'm working on breathing more fully when I'm riding, and really paying attention to my body and instincts. Not doing things because my ego wants me to, and not backing off of things that I know I can push harder at, but finding balance.

#12 ·
1. I am going to join a local group ride and not worry about being too slow or not good enough. I am telling myself it's a group ride because they want newer riders to come along!

2. More confidence and speed on rocky downhill sections. This is coming along as I get experience, but some of it is a pure mind game.

3. More power and stamina (which would definitely benefit from dropping some unwanted poundage). I'm going to work on this by riding longer and more often, and adding some intervals (group rides will help with this as well).

Great question!

#13 ·
- Dismounting on my right side. Never been comfortable doing this (not sure why), so it's something I need to practice so trails that fall to the left aren't so scary (big hangup for me)
This is a big one for me also. Hadn't thought about it until I did a quick /unthinking dismount that almost sent me down a ravine. I'm trying to be more conscious of which foot I put down (based on ledge or fall away), but also getting equally comfortable mounting and dismounting from both sides. Until that incident I really hadn't noticed how I move around the bike to always mount from the left too! I'd like either side to be mindless.

#16 ·
Other than the chunky, ledgy and steep switchbacks I need to work on (not that easy to find these in my immediate area), my main focus right now is improving fitness (cardio) and strength. Going to the gym 4 x/week, doing 45 mins cardio (minimum) and weights. Now with daylight savings time, I'll start commuting by bike from work at least 2 times per week (~20 miles).

#17 ·
Stripes - I totally identify with what you are saying! I am right-handed but mount on my left, dismount on my left, and clip in my left foot first. My left foot also always leads, especially on the downhills. I've tried leading with my right foot and it just feels very awkward and uncomfortable.

My list would be much shorter if the question were to ask "what don't you need to work on this spring?" :D

1) Obstacles - especially bridges (my nemesis) and log piles, specifically taller logpiles. I do better if the bridges are short and made of lumber vs. natural/logs. Finally conquered a ramped log over last year but again, it was made out of 2x4's and pretty smooth, even though it was steep. So frustrating to have to dismount and walk over/around something, especially when you've had your flow going up to that point.

2) Berms and switchbacks to the right. I have a very hard time turning to the right and leaning my bike into corners.

3) Steep technical climbs and descents.

I try not to get discouraged because where I am currently at is no where near where I would like to be. So I make a pact with myself to try at least one new thing on each ride, even if small. I guess that's one of the biggest reasons I enjoy mountain biking so much - there is always room for improvement and the ride is never boring.

#18 ·
Endurance and nutrition!
I signed up for ORAMM, which is a 65mile (11,000ft of climbing) mtb race in late July. This will be the toughest adventure I will have ever done to date.
From now until race time....I need to improve my endurance immensely! My longest ride on a mtb is 33miles. I plan to do at least 3 centuries (road) between April - June. And lots and lots of miles on the mtb. My challenge is that I only get to ride on weekends and once during the week if I am lucky.
Nutrition is the next thing I need to improve on. I'm not sure what I will need to consume and how many calories to intake on race day. So I have lots to learn (and improve on) between now and July 22nd.
Suggestions are always welcome...

#19 ·
Endurance and nutrition!

Nutrition is the next thing I need to improve on. I'm not sure what I will need to consume and how many calories to intake on race day. So I have lots to learn (and improve on) between now and July 22nd.
Suggestions are always welcome...
If you like to cook, I just got this cookbook http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?EAN=9781934030769&x=57142403 and highly recommend it! Great recipes and good info for endurance athletes. If you can't follow the link ; Google " The feed zone ".

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I have a lot of trouble dismounting to the right as well.

Saturday was my first time on the trail where I had my scary end-o last summer. I was surprised at how much it affected me, especially since my injuries weren't bad enough to keep me from riding. I wasn't even thinking about the end-o but when I came to the dreaded section, I started shaking and totally lost my confidence for the rest of the ride. So I now have to work on is being able to walk that section of trail without having this crazy PTSD reaction.

#25 ·
Loving this thread. I have never even though about dismounting on the right.

I'm looking to lose some weight and increase my speed overall on our local trail. My weaknesses on the trail are braking too much on downhills, slow climb time, and increasing endurance.

I also need to improve climbing over logs and such and switchbacks, but I hope that comes with improving my climbing skill. There is a downhill switch back that I absolutely hate. I've only tried it once and I fell over. It goes down and to the left and turning left seems a bit harder than turning right. There's also a killer root that you have to make sure your back wheel clears.

#26 ·
i WANT to get better at confidence, but sometimes i dont know how possible that is. I love mountain biking, but i also suffer with anxiety. Lets just say, i'm prone to PTSD....for instance, i was in a car accident many years ago and it still affects my driving to this day. It sneaks its way into biking when i crash or nearly crash in a certain spot, then i want to avoid that spot forever. It really sours a ride when you start to feel panicky and dread trail sections. Again, its an issue of mine, more than the average person. i dont know if i can "cure it" but i wish i could trick my brain to enjoy myself even in the scary areas. Sometimes i get really confident....then i go backwards. its so frusterating!

#27 ·
I really hear everyone on the rebuilding confidence. Quite awhile back I tore my ACL coming off the back of the bike (practicing manuals at a camp and I lifted too high and did not hit the breaks) so I've been more hesitant on the bike. It was my right leg and is another reason I prefer dismounting on the left like most of you.

This year I don't have as many specific goals as just riding more! I believe that a lot of my areas needing improvement will follow.

Wishing everyone a good season and success in their goals, I'm patiently (okay not so patiently) awaiting the season here as I have a new bike to ride and learn.

#29 ·
My main goal is improving my speed. I've been working on technical skills for several years and feel like I'm in a fairly good place with those. I rarely have to get off my bike and walk around/over anything anymore. One technical area that needs improvement: getting over a large root/rock ledge/other obstacle in the trail on a climb.

I've got a group of people I ride with on Thursday nights now who move along at a really good clip and don't stop much or for long when they do stop. That is helping me in the speed and endurance area quite a lot.

#30 ·
As a beginner to mountain biking last July, and coming back from 6 months off the mountain bike due to trail injury in October - I've a few goals ;)

1. Get better at shifting on the trail and trust my body - don't over-think
2. At this point I can ONLY mount from the left side - start with my right foot and stop with my right foot - (road as well) I really need to make some kind of progress at being more versatile. .
3. When falling on the trails - fall AWAY from the edge :eek:
4. Improve on switchbacks and berms - I think much of this is confidence.

Oh yes, and have fun :)

BTW, I just learned how to ride a bike, period, 2 years ago, so regardless of my skill level I am having a lot of fun on the bike - especially the mountain bike :)

It would be nice to find someone as slow as I am that I could ride with. I've a lot of friends who mountain bike but they are so much more advanced than I am that I am not about to ask anyone to ride with me. I've no problem riding solo, where I ride as there are a lot of people if something should happen to me... There are a few who have ridden with me occasionally on the trails, but I KNOW how far back they must dial it to stay with me and that makes me feel guilty.

#35 ·
Woohoo~! Two small victories:

1. I tackled a couple of skinnies and dominated them! (I have skinny-anxiety). I just decided that dammit if the two guys ahead of me could do it, I could do it.

2. I went on my first group ride. Yep, I was the slowest and most out of shape person, but I didn't humiliate myself. I'm going out alone today for some sprints/conditioning to help get better for the next one.

#47 ·
Way to go PixieChik!! Thats a similar attitude that i'm trying to adopt....I'm so used to biking alone because I didn't want to slow anyone down and only seemed to meet friendly, but fast and intimidating riders. I also didn't want to get injured riding by myself trying a jump or a rockgarden at a decent speed. I always opted out of the harder descents or burned the brakes downhill. Until I moved and started biking with some other people, I didn't know how to handle the technical aspects until I saw people in front of me do it and then I was faced with the same challenge. Youtube videos can only teach you so much : )

I also always choose to dismount left. New goal: ride a log and dismount right

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.