Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

What do you do with your hair?

What length do you keep your hair normally, and what do you do with it when you are riding?

My hair seems to get thicker every year, and loves to insulate my head when I wear my helmet. I'm also starting to find that my ponytail makes my neck really hot too. Thinking about cutting my hair chin length, but wanted to see what ya'll do with your locks.

Perpetual n00b

Wife keeps it pretty short. Maybe 3-4 inches long on top and shorter on the sides and back.

What do you do with your hair?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1390880564.856128.jpg
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

Don't worry, be happy!

It's really going to depend on what kind of hair. I've got medium textured, wavy hair but I've had it boy short for yearss now. It's super easy to care for, but I do get some stellar helmet hair.
    Last edited by formica; 01-28-2014 at 11:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Mine is a little longer than shoulder length with layers. I keep it in a pony tail when I ride & it still manages to go everywhere, & of course ends up a soaked, matted mess when I'm done. I don't notice the heat from the pony tail, but I definitely notice it if I don't tie up in one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have very thick long curly hair....figuring out what to do with it was an interesting learning experience. I pretty much have it figured out. In the winter one long pony in the back (which works pretty well at keeping my back pretty warm ). It gets tangled at the base of the pony tail but can't really figure out a way around that. Then the summer when all that hair is ungodly hot, I do two braids on either side. It can be a little annoying if they start swinging but it keeps all that hair off my back.

Dudette
    I did have pretty long hair, but now mine is shoulder-length. I used to put it in a low ponytail, but this year I started wearing it under a buff, kind of like a big headband or bandana. Not only did it soak up the sweat and keep it out of my eyes, but it protected the top of my head from sunburn and bugs, and kept the hair out of my eyes, away from my face and off my neck. I honestly didn't find wearing it to be too hot, either.
    MTB4Her.com

Moderator Moderator
    Pretty short, a little shaggier in winter. Short enough not to get in my eyes, and hairline length in back when cut. One interesting observation I have made about summer riding is that -even with a helmet - the front of your head gets some air-cooling from your movement, but the rear does not, it ends up wet with sweat. So a cut that is short in back will do a good job keeping you from overheating. I do my own thing; there are a couple people that I can rely on to say "your hair looks nice" when I really need to cut it for my own comfort/preference.

mtbr member
    I usually do a plain pony tail or a pair of low ones, though if it's really hot sometimes I just let the helmet back-strap hold it loosely. (a little longer than shoulder and dead straight)
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have super long hair (probably halfway down my back, if not longer). When on the bike I pull it to a side braid. I learned this was the best way to keep my hair from flying in my mouth/eyes/whatever and is better at keeping the tangles at bay.

What do you do with your hair?-1606275_10153679496940442_755053398_o.jpg

mtbr member

What do you do with your hair?-19182_10151346043509528_2062716006_n.jpg

I have pretty long hair. I always wear mine in two braids, Pippy Longstocking style. Its pretty low maintenance. With two braids I don't get tangles under my helmet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm a dude but often have locks the ladies would kill for, long, thick, and wavy. Did I mention thick? Like a pantene commercial, as a kid I used to wish for thinner hair, now I'm glad it hasn't turned loose

I also ride morotcycles and the solutions I found work well on the moto I use for the MTB.

1. Do-rags and buffs. They keep it out of your eyes and in place under the helmet the best. I vary it up depending on weather conditions, and have experimented with custom made options for the summer heat (in GA, so hot and humid, bad for hair and body), though I have yet to improve on the tried and tested basics.

That still leaves a foot or more of hair to deal with, the best and easiest thing I have found so far is known as a "pony tail holder" or "hair glove". Heres one Motorcycle Ponytail Holder, Long Hair, Wrapter - Women Riders Now - Motorcycling News & Reviews

I am in the process of growing the mop out again, so during the coming "in-between" days, I may try a hair net for containment, but without impeding airflow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Curly, shoulder length (dry). Two braids to the side or a low pony. The braids to the side are much cooler. The pony tends to get tangled from my camelback.

Don't worry, be happy!

My hubby, back when he had hair, had blonde Goldilocks hair, with natural highlights, that women would have killed for.

Gnarly
    I had shoulder length hair that I tied in a ponytail when I rode (but it was always a bit uncomfortable) . When I lost my hair during extensive chemo and radiation treatments 3 years ago, I wore buffs under my helmet for 2 years until my hair started to grow back. I liked the buff because it stayed in place, absorbed sweat and looked badass.

Once my hair got past the initial post chemo afro look, it's grown quickly to shoulder length and I've been wearing it straight, no pony tail. I found hair ties, no matter the type and placement, rub my scalp under my helmet (DH and all-mountain). Now I always carry a small brush in my back pack until my hair grows long enough to braid it
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Rides with Scissors
    Short. Kind of pixie-ish, somewhat like how Anne Hathaway wore it post "Les Miserables" (not sure what she looks like now). It used to be just past my shoulders, but it's naturally unruly (not curly, not straight either) and would turn into dreadlocks if I wore it any other way besides pigtails. I was tired of it and chopped it all off a few years ago!
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

~*~*~*~*~
    Boy cut, about 1 1/2", short. My hair is very fine, but thank goodness it has a natural wave, so a dab of gel and some scrunching with my fingers and (usually) it's good to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My hair is about shoulder length, but hasn't been trimmed in about half a year. I think I'm going to cut it chin length, and let it grow out. I'm starting to think that I'll be trying pig tails as it gets longer.

The Other F Word
    Jan 2005
    Shoulder-blade length, fine, curly. Two pigtails. One ponytail annoys the crap out of me - it seems to always been in the way.

My hair is fine enough that if I pile it on top of my head just right, I can fit my helmet over it. No hair accessories needed, plus at the end of the ride I can do that thing where you take your helmet off and shake your hair out. Never looks as good as in the movies, but def gets a laugh.

gabrielle
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

The Other F Word
    Jan 2005
    Aw, I love your long pigtails! I wish I could grow mine that long again. I used to be able to tuck it into my trousers, but I got it cut shorter several years ago, and it just won't get past my waist now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielle View Post
    My hair is fine enough that if I pile it on top of my head just right, I can fit my helmet over it. No hair accessories needed, plus at the end of the ride I can do that thing where you take your helmet off and shake your hair out. Never looks as good as in the movies, but def gets a laugh.
    gabrielle
    haha, awesome! Wt need the slow-mo video!

Dirty South Underdog
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Mine is fairly short - too short for a pony tail. I do nothing. I just put the helmet on and hope for the best when I take it off at the end of the ride. I can't let my bangs get too long during riding season, or they get in my eyes and direct sweat into my eyes (ouch).

mtbr member
    Thick, curly hair. Ponytails hurt me after a while so I don't wear them. I find it comfortable to just put up the front part/bangs with 2 of those wide bobby pins. That, or as someone else mentioned, a buff.
    Never give up, never surrender.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Fine wavy hair. Used to be long, but after kid it looked so ratty I cut it short. Then shorter.

I can spritz w water & add a bit of jell or detangler, scrunch, good to go.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    I do pigtails low on both sides.
    What do you do with your hair?-image.jpg
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast