Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What bike........

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  MtnSpectre 
#1 ·
should I get my girlfriend? I am planning on buying my girlfriend a bike and am leaning towards a certain one that I am going to get her. The thing is, I own different brands (Yeti and a Trek) and love them? I was going to post this question on the specific bike forum but just as I was about to write, I started to think that I would get a biased reply. So, I am looking for an unbiased reply and decided to venture into the unforgiving world of the women's lounge. Are the women's specific bikes that big of a deal? What are the pros and cons of the bikes you are riding? What are you riding?

Some quick info on her. She is a recreational rider and doesn't have the skills of an advanced rider. She can ride singletrack well without any technical sections. (She was able to ride the Atlanta Olympic trail, the first half, with out any issues on my Trek hardtail which was to big for her.) She is 5'4". She is used to riding the "other" bikes from Walmart and Target.

What I am looking to get her? Something a little better than Walmart or Target brands. Something in the price range of 1500 to 2500. FS, XC.

If there was another post about this, please direct me there and it would save a lot of time.

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
MtnSpectre said:
Some quick info on her. She is a recreational rider and doesn't have the skills of an advanced rider. She can ride singletrack well without any technical sections. (She was able to ride the Atlanta Olympic trail, the first half, with out any issues on my Trek hardtail which was to big for her.) She is 5'4". She is used to riding the "other" bikes from Walmart and Target.

What I am looking to get her? Something a little better than Walmart or Target brands. Something in the price range of 1500 to 2500. FS, XC.

If there was another post about this, please direct me there and it would save a lot of time.

Thanks
At 5'4", she might have a tough time throwing a leg over a 29'er but I have to say that it's one of those things that you don't know what you are missing until you try it. I have a medium Turner Sultan and it's absolutely the most phenomenal XC bike I've ever ridden. It climbs far better than the 26'ers I've ridden, it's very nimble on the downhill portions of the singletrack, and it has traction that just won't give up. With the larger wheels, it's also made me a better technical rider and I don't get abused as much in the rough stuff.

See if you can get her a test ride on a Turner Sultan, Ventana El Rey, Niner, Lenzsport, or similar 29'er FS rig. She'll likely need a small....which is tough geometry to build with the larger wheels, but I think at least Turner and Ventana build them. You'll have to do a little research.

If you need some assistance, I've got some great industry contacts I can put you in touch with who will be happy to chat with you. PM me for more info....

--A

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies

After getting back in here and just noticing how many other guys posted the same thing. I feel like a stalker in the room. I guess I should have taken the time to look in here instead of posting.....ha ha. Thanks anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.