Slothful dirt hippie

Verslow may become a heretic- race?

A local bike shop is putting on a mountain bike festival RIGHT.HERE, and husband keeps insisting I'd do 'awesome' in the XC race. So I'm kinda sorta considering it. Maybe.

Of course I don't even know what the course entails yet, and like me husband hasn't even BEEN to a race so I'm extremely skeptical of how the heck he comes up with this 'awesome' bit.... not to mention all the frapping climbing, which I suck at... OK OK, I suck at downhill too. Trust me, I come by my nom de guerre honestly.

Anyway, besides the obvious "what the...." reaction, does anyone have a 'mountain bike racing for total lame dummies' link? I just don't know what to expect.

And I'm still not convinced I'm going to sign up for it. I've trained like h3!! in years gone by, peeling off every pound I could and spanking up that ridge 2-3 times a week, and I was STILL hideously slow. I'm convinced I have athletically depressing genes.

And there's a bigger, much more nagging issue. This is going to sound just incomprehensibly strange to some I'm sure, but maybe there's someone else out there that gets it... I am really really really not sure if I want to have definitive public proof that I am so spectacularly mediocre (or worse) at an activity so near and dear to my heart . I mostly ride solo, and my bike time has evolved into a somewhat sacrosanct mental-health-tuneup plus "I can handle the wilds alone because I am strong, even when the rest of life is exploding for reasons beyond my control" intermezzo.

Do I really want to "taint" my sanctuary with (most likely very craptacular) racing, or is each compartmentalized away from one another, or do they coexist happily?
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Team Chilidog!
    Race only if you want to. Don't let anyone (including yerself) pressure you.

I plan on doing downhill racing (or even Super-D). I suck at climbing. I'm doing this because I want to, not because anyone says it's a good idea.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Give it a try, if you don't like it, you don't have to do it again. And if you suck and it damages your psyche, you can just lock the pain away and never speak of it again.

pewpewpew Moderator
    I say, try it.

Something about a race pushes you to your best potential. It has nothing to do with your place or if you are first or last. I think it's the feeling of pushing yourself and thinking "I can't fininsh this!" and then finishing it anyway. It is a really good feeling.

I race once a year. I like the way it motivates me to ride a little better & a little stronger before the event, and then I get to enjoy the better fitness after the event on my regular rides.

I guess it is not for all, though. I have a friend who is super fast. I know she'd do really, really well in a race. We "race" on regular rides and she always beats me. Oddly enough, she states that it would be too stressful to race because she *is* ambitious and competitive by nature - I guess she feels like she can't race "for fun". I'm still working on her, though. I think she'd have a blast no matter where she placed.
    Love, Impy