Thread: Upgrade-itis

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Upgrade-itis

I've only had my Jamis XC Comp for about a month and I LOVE it. However, as soon as I got it I felt the need to upgrade parts and accessorize it. I upgraded the brakes to Magura MT4s, but that was really because the Avid 3 were giving me heck. I picked the white ones because it matched my bike.

Next I bought red Oury grips because my bike has some red accents. Then I bought a red chain guard and Monkey Lite SL handlebars. Oh and I also bought some platform pedals from Performance. When tax time rolls around I plan on getting Stan's Arch-Ex wheels. I forgot...I also swapped the saddle for a Selle Italia Gel Ldy, which I love. (I have one on both my bikes, one black, one white.)

I've been told everyone goes through this desire to upgrade stage, but I'm not convinced. My partner got her Fuel EX 8 at the same time I got my bike and she's been happy with it just as is.

mtbr member
    It's normal. A lot of us get that desire to upgrade or make it more comfortable. Some people just aren't into upgrading and are just fine with what they have. Most bikes are set up as basics knowing you'll upgrade.

As long as you love the bike, upgrading is fine. It's when you never really liked the bike in the first place and hoped that by upgrading, you'll end up liking the bike that it becomes a problem.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I've only had my Jamis XC Comp for about a month and I LOVE it. However, as soon as I got it I felt the need to upgrade parts and accessorize it. I upgraded the brakes to Magura MT4s, but that was really because the Avid 3 were giving me heck. I picked the white ones because it matched my bike.

Next I bought red Oury grips because my bike has some red accents. Then I bought a red chain guard and Monkey Lite SL handlebars. Oh and I also bought some platform pedals from Performance. When tax time rolls around I plan on getting Stan's Arch-Ex wheels. I forgot...I also swapped the saddle for a Selle Italia Gel Ldy, which I love. (I have one on both my bikes, one black, one white.)

I've been told everyone goes through this desire to upgrade stage, but I'm not convinced. My partner got her Fuel EX 8 at the same time I got my bike and she's been happy with it just as is.
    Chronic upgraditis sufferer here. Got it with my first MTB 20 years ago, still have it today. There are ways to minimize it, but there are times it doesn't matter between bling and wanting to have the lightest and strongest bike and bike parts there are.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Last edited by flyxaos; 12-03-2012 at 12:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've got it. Even before I picked up my bike last year I had them upgrade the brakes, seatpost, saddle, tires, bars and pedals. Now I've changed the seat again (in fairness, the other one wore out - it was well used) and am thinking I could use a 2x10 set up and a talas....and then there's my DH bike that I just NEED to have new Saint brakes...

I'm sure it's normal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've got it. Except I chose to just buy a whole new MTB bike vs upgrade my current one. I went from a $1100 Giant to a $6000 Specialized... yeah, I think I have a problem, haha.

Luckily, I've been pretty happy with my road bike, and upgrades have just been things to fix fit issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    I've got it. Except I chose to just buy a whole new MTB bike vs upgrade my current one. I went from a $1100 Giant to a $6000 Specialized... yeah, I think I have a problem, haha.
    Yeah.... I suffer from new bike-itis as well as bike-hoarding... Expensive habits!

mtbr member
    What, no pics?

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by kinsler View Post
    Yeah.... I suffer from new bike-itis as well as bike-hoarding... Expensive habits!
    Me,too. And discovering they may be genetic conditions. My 13yo is showing some symptoms.
    My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Instagram, Twitter you'll find me as beerbikegirl

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm going to buy a cross bike next... between my boyfriend and I we have 7 bikes in our house. I'm kinda concerned we're going to run out of room for all of them...

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    I'm going to buy a cross bike next... between my boyfriend and I we have 7 bikes in our house. I'm kinda concerned we're going to run out of room for all of them...
    "Um, honey, can we remodel the house so we can fit more bikes in it?"
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    "Um, honey, can we remodel the house so we can fit more bikes in it?"
    we did.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    we did.
    Awesome! :thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest
    Selle Italia Ldy Gel saddles

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hahah, we rent so no remodeling. However, this house is awesome because it has a huge mud room that can accommodate most of the bikes and a huge rolling rack that I hang all the bike clothing, gear, etc on. Mud room is great in that aspect!