mtbr member

Ultrasensor vs. Microsensor PIs

I've had many pairs of Ultrasensors and really like them. Always too cheap to spring for the Micros. Performance has a sale + 15% off, so I thought I would go ahead, but the MTBR reviews are not so hot.

Anybody tried both (recently) and have an opinion on whether I should drop the extra $35?

thanks

Glue Sniffer
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    I've had many pairs of Ultrasensors and really like them. Always too cheap to spring for the Micros. Performance has a sale + 15% off, so I thought I would go ahead, but the MTBR reviews are not so hot.

Anybody tried both (recently) and have an opinion on whether I should drop the extra $35?

thanks
    Yup. I totally agree. I prefer the ultrasensors (grey chamois) over the super exspensive microsensors (yellow & white chamois) on feel alone. The fact that they are actually cheaper is just an added bonus. The microsensor chamois is a little odd. I think it just tried to be a little too high tech in an area that's best kept simple.
    Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use. www.adventuresinprocreating.blogspot.com

Displaced Southerner
    Dec 2004

thanks

Stick with the ultrasensor. They are my first choice for long rides, short rides road or mountain. I thought I was going to be really pleased with the microsensor, but they just sit in the shorts pile and get picked over frequently. Dangit...but I got them on a prodeal...so at least I didn't purchase at full retail.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can do, do it now. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.
    ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

cyclemaven.net

Personally, I like Microsensors the best

However, since everyone is different, I sort of feel like if you've found something that's comfortable, stick with it.
    That said, I found that Ultrasensors give me saddle sores, Microsensors don't.
    Donate now!
    I'm a roadie this year for AIDS LifeCycle. Find out more by going here:
    http://girlmeetsbike.org

Adobo Lover
    I found your post just searching for reason why a 140 dollar shorts are uncomfortable. I bought the 3D microsensors by PI this past weekend. I just finished a ride not too long ago. From the get go, I felt uncomfortable just on my left sit bone(ischial tuberosity). It felt like the pad wasn't covering that area. I'm not that big, 5'6 and a buck 50. The only reason why I went for the Microsensors was because I couldn't find the ultrasensors in the area. I'm hoping it's a matter of breaking them in.

mtbr member
    I hope you break then in OK. It sucks to lay out a fortune and be disappointed. That's why I decided to go ahead and stick w/ Ultrasensor. I wore the new ones for the first time Sunday and they seemed fine on the bike, but they were awfully small through the crotch area. That better stretch out or they are going to be solo-ride only shorts. I can't STAND to look at cameltoe, if you'll pardon the expression. Also, the fabric seemed a little different. Maybe it's just because my old shorts have been washed a thousand times...I hope it breaks in a little smoother.

My husband has microsensor, and he says the place where the pad is sewn into the shorts, somewhere in the general area of his sitbones is so rough it makes red marks on his bottom. I have actually viewed said marks (owwghh, my eyes!) and I hope you don't get those!

I'm thinking about buying men's shorts next time. My favorite shorts, now worn away to nothing, were men's. I really don't much like that wide "pad" in the girls shorts.

Adobo Lover
    I hope you break then in OK. It sucks to lay out a fortune and be disappointed. That's why I decided to go ahead and stick w/ Ultrasensor. I wore the new ones for the first time Sunday and they seemed fine on the bike, but they were awfully small through the crotch area. That better stretch out or they are going to be solo-ride only shorts. I can't STAND to look at cameltoe, if you'll pardon the expression. Also, the fabric seemed a little different. Maybe it's just because my old shorts have been washed a thousand times...I hope it breaks in a little smoother.

My husband has microsensor, and he says the place where the pad is sewn into the shorts, somewhere in the general area of his sitbones is so rough it makes red marks on his bottom. I have actually viewed said marks (owwghh, my eyes!) and I hope you don't get those!

I'm thinking about buying men's shorts next time. My favorite shorts, now worn away to nothing, were men's. I really don't much like that wide "pad" in the girls shorts.

Loved the fabric on the microsensors and overall fit. I called performance bike shop and told them my situation. They said it should be comfortable from the get go. It wasn't a rubbing irritation, it just didn't cover the right area on my right side. They said they would take them back. Thank God. I am uncertain whether to try the ultrasensors with the PRT pad in them. They look totally different from the 3D pad.

If your husband was getting rub marks in the area of his sit bones, the pad may not be in the right area also. Looking on how the 3D pad is it should cover everything. It's so big. He shouldn't be anywhere close to the stiching. I think they way the short was constucted, the pad probably should move forward a little bit. I noticed a lot of the meaty part of the pad wasn't even being used.

Adobo Lover
    Thanks for the suggestion on the Ultrasensors. Gave the pearls another try. Much better comfort on yesterday's ride. Had some bunching in the crotch but they have only been washed once. So, I'm hoping that it will go away after the pad wears in a little. Now if they can make the micro's with the PRT pad that would be fantastic. On another note, I ended picking up a REI Echelon bib. for 30 bucks, usually 75. I think it was the last one. Surprisingly they are very comfy, at this point as good or better than the ultrasensors.

44.951909NRTH
    I'm a little late to the discussion, but for what it's worth I bought both about two months ago. The Ultrasensors were comfy right away. The Microsensors get better with every washing and wearing.

Adobo Lover
    Hmm, if I knew that awhile ago I might have kept the microsensors. Right from the start, I was hurting where the pad wasn't protecting my bottom. I didn't want to take the chance of wasting 140 bucks. I loved the material and fit was better with the microsensors.