mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Trek Cali SLX 2015...any feedback?

Hello! I'm looking to upgrade my Trek 3700 hardtail (16" frame with 26" wheels) to a lighter hardtail with better specs and 27.5/29" wheels for XC riding. Has anyone tried the 2015 Trek Cali SLX, or a past version of this model? Any thoughts or feedback? (I'm 5'6", btw)

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    My fiancÚ fairly recently started riding a 2013 Trek Cali SL (Trek Bicycle) and she loves it. She is about 5'8" with long legs and a shorter torso, and the 17" frame, which was the largest made in '13, fits ok but is on the smaller side. She is fairly near the min. insertion point on the seat post, for what it's worth, and could have ridden the next size up if it had been available. However, she is happy now and that is most important. It was a huge step up from her previous bike. She really likes the 29" wheels so far and the quality of the bike and components and has no complaints yet.

Although the '13 Cali SL is spec'd somewhat similar to the '15 SLX (and much more like the '14 SLX than the '14 SL) with Deore or better parts and a Reba fork, it has the curved top tube like the '14 Cali's rather than the straight top tube of the '15's. I'm not sure how different the frames are otherwise as I have not compared the geometry charts. The new Skye models keep the curved top tube.

I hope that helps a little. If you have any specific questions, let me know and I will try to answer or ask my fiancÚ for her to answer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Hello, and thank you so much for the feedback! I managed to get a hold of a 2015 Superfly test bike, which has the exact same frame (identical dimensions and angles) as the 2015 Cali SLX. The wheels are 29ers and all I can say is that the bike rides like a dream. I was 100% convinced after only a few minutes. It climbs very efficiently (even in rocky terrain), handles great (even in tight corners), and rolls over everything, allowing me to enjoy the ride more than ever. I've already placed an order for the 2015 Cali SLX (17.5" frame with 29" wheels). I'm 5'5", so it makes perfect sense for your fiance to use one size up for the frame.

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to write back. Knowing that your fiance is happy with the Cali and its 29" wheels sets my mind at ease.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Congrats! Hope you have many happy miles together.

mtbr member
    I'd love to hear your feedback once you get it out in the wild. I'm bike hunting for my wife and this one's in the running.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I recently just received an early Christmas present in the form of a Trek Skye SLX.. I haven't taken it on any trails yet but I am 5'0" and it fits me perfectly. Test road it at the local trek store and took it home courtesy of my fiance. I would have gotten the Skye SL but decided to upgrade to the SLX because of the difference in forks.

(new to mtb but I use to race motocross, so hoping I will catch on quick)

Enjoy your new bike! It was hard to choose.