mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Trail Bike Advice

Hello! I am in the market for a new FS trail bike. I currently ride a 2008 Santa Cruz Juliana which I have outgrown. I am looking at the Pivot Mach 5.7 and also at the new line of Juliana's. I enjoy riding technical steep uphills and want to bomb downhill. I am not a DH rider due to injuries. I am wondering about going with the 29" v. staying with 26" wheels, especially on long sustained uphills. Any thoughts or suggestions or other bike recommendations would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    make sure you try out the 29ers first. They are very different. I have friends with Pivots and they love them (1 with a 29er, the others with the Mach 5.7). The 29er will be different on the downhill, you need to be comfortable with it.

I am on an Ibis Mojo SL, 140mm travel. I love the nimbleness of it, it wants to go fast down, but the ups are so fluid still. It's da bomb. Ibis has some good demo days if you can manage to catch on in your neck of the woods.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You will love the Pivot. I'm on my third one a Mach 5.7 c. Mine is built reasonably light so it is the perfect tackle anything bike that inspires confidence going up and down, can take some knocks, looks good and just does what it should. In NZ there aren't many of them and I'm a huge fan of the pedaling power of DW link it just goes over any terrain. They size quite large which is my only gripe and at 5'9" I ride a small having previously owned a medium that just felt too tall. The whole 29 vs 26 is really a personal preference they each have pros and cons in a 5 inch travel bike I prefer 26 but that is just me.

Team Chilidog!
    Make sure you test ride or at least throw a leg over a bike for fit.

I've test ridden about 5 29ers and don't like any of them. I would also look at the Mojo HD. I've got a friend's on loan for the weekend, so it'll be interesting to post the feedback here of what I think of it.

And because there aren't enough variables, look at the Santa Cruz Bronson 650b. That's getting a lot of postive reviews.

The Mojo HD feels very very different than my Ventana. It's all what you're looking for. Also, all DW links are not created equal. I'm not a fan of the Pivot, but I really like the Ibis. Just as all single pivots are not, etc.

Remember, if you can, test ride on the trail. Demo, borrow, etc. Whatever you can do to get an idea of how it feels on dirt. Parking lot rides do not do anything justice. Then agaqin, if you really know what you want, sometimes it's worth it to take a risk on a boutique brand, but up to you.

I did a boutique brand for almost 10 years, and it's definitely worth it if you find something you really like. You can also get the bike customized to your exact liking for some of them. But definitely test ride as much as you can to get an idea of what you're looking for and what you like (and don't like, which is just as important).

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thank you very much for the suggestions!

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purplebomber View Post
    Thank you very much for the suggestions!
    One other thing: when you find a bike that fits you, write the stack and reach numbers. Even though the top tube (TT) measurements are the most common people use for sizing, the stack and reach numbers tell a more accurate picture. There's about an inch and a half difference in reach in my current frame than a small Mojo HD, but the stack height is the same.

An explanation of reach and stack here: Reach and Stack mountain bike mtb sizing and geometry ? Mtb Stuff Downhill Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks this information is super helpful.

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    One other thing: when you find a bike that fits you, write the stack and reach numbers. Even though the top tube (TT) measurements are the most common people use for sizing, the stack and reach numbers tell a more accurate picture. There's about an inch and a half difference in reach in my current frame than a small Mojo HD, but the stack height is the same.

An explanation of reach and stack here: Reach and Stack mountain bike mtb sizing and geometry ? Mtb Stuff Downhill Mountain Biking
    Great point, Stripes!