Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I went out yesterday. I was going to just do a short ride.My husband dropped me off at the Armstrong connector tail head. Well I decided I had more time. I went 4 hours 21 miles and finished at my house thats the best part. It's so awesome these trails are all a bike ride away.

I highly recommend this trail its Armstrong pass to TRT take that to Star Lake and go down Cold Creek. It was awesome! Once I got up it was all down hill for miles. If you are ever in South Lake check it out.

Here is the top. My bike partner is in the shade.
    FullSizeRender 9 by Sarah Ireland, on Flickr

FullSizeRender 8 by Sarah Ireland, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Kinsler, is that your home turf? Wow. You also had much better light that we did for photos.
    It is now! I got an early start and brought the nice camera with me!

Rock n' Roller
    Today was a hard day in CB. A well known competitor in the Enduro World Series crashed on course (hit a tree) and died as a result of his injuries. The EWS canceled the race.

I felt utterly sick to my stomach this morning...my husband had crashed into a tree downhilling just the other day and walked away laughing...those inches...how could this happen? Why? Maybe it isn't worth it...maybe it's never worth it...Then, I woke up to this:

Today's Pic or Story-ride-will.jpg

100+ riders (competitors, visitors, race directors, and locals) gathered together this morning and rode Strand hill in his memory. There was no major announcement. A local doctor posted on his facebook that they would ride for Will this morning...100's of people showed up.

This is a beautiful sport and an incredible community and I adore each of you. Ride hard, long, and always with joy. Be safe and keep riding. This community and the world needs your wheels and your passion.

RIP Will. You are missed horribly by your friends, your family, and those whom you never met but touched through racing in some way... and I will never ride Strand or race again without thinking of you.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Oh geez, sorry to hear about this. Good to see people coming together, though.

mtbr member
    Snowgypsy-

I can't imagine how hard this weekend must of been for the CB biking community. I did that race last year and had a few hard crashes that I walked away from. Definitely makes you really think about risk and how we live our lives.

adventure journal – In Defense of Taking Risks

adventure journal – Thoughts on Honoring the Dead, and the Living

mtbr member
    Left got us here Today's Pic or Story-imageuploadedbytapatalk1438661989.873024.jpg

Sent from my silver iPad Air 1 in a http://www.red.org/en/ smart case using an app called Tapatalky

9 lives
    A huge storm front rolled in while we were at the bike park on Sunday... we squeezed in about 8 laps.

Today's Pic or Story-4ia5a5f.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-nisohu5.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-v7yplnc.jpg

The trails at the bike park were too greasy to ride the next day (Monday was a civic holiday) so we did something different and rode a local rail trail (approx 40km) At the half way point we explored and old railway yard

Today's Pic or Story-tassdf0.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-oghdkmq.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-6lfqmfb.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-yzgeios.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-8eiibpb.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Cyclelicious - That storm would have made you ride quickly! hehehe I both love and loathe riding in storms - trees have a habit of losing branches.

Also - That looks like an awesome little ride along the rail trail - loving seeing all these lovely summer photos of these scenic rides!

9 lives
    I tested my new rocket socks... they definitely helped me ride faster

Today's Pic or Story-ckwxvwa.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-pvvwdgu.jpg

Fantastic day of shredding!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    So here's a few pictures from the past few days. If you have a chance to get to Idaho this summer, do it. These to rides are world class and will soon be closed to bikes.

These are few are from my ride today- Antz Basin. I've been upset about the wilderness designation and decided I needed a "personal" day. Didn't see a soul once I turned off the main trail.

Today's Pic or Story-img_0683.jpgToday's Pic or Story-img_0681.jpgToday's Pic or Story-img_0687.jpg

These two are from Castle Divide... definitely a top 5 all time ride.

Today's Pic or Story-img_0649.jpgToday's Pic or Story-img_0636.jpg

Fortunately there is still literally 100s of trails to ride, but these two are definitely special.
    IMBA couldn't protect these trails... time for someone else, enough is enough
    FIX AMERICA?S TRAIL SYSTEM

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Wow, gorgeous photos and trails. Sorry about their impending loss.

Dudette
    I think, like most people, you love what you know. And if you don't get a chance to ride and love new trails, how are you supposed to want to protect them? I ride on a few multi-purpose trails in my area and the thing that always strikes me is it's the mountain bikers that maintain and build the trails - not the hikers and not the horseback riders. I feel like the land managers are doing themselves a huge disservice preventing mountain bikers from riding the trails. If you want people to appreciate the wilderness - expose them to it.
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    I think, like most people, you love what you know. And if you don't get a chance to ride and love new trails, how are you supposed to want to protect them? I ride on a few multi-purpose trails in my area and the thing that always strikes me is it's the mountain bikers that maintain and build the trails - not the hikers and not the horseback riders. I feel like the land managers are doing themselves a huge disservice preventing mountain bikers from riding the trails. If you want people to appreciate the wilderness - expose them to it.
    Exactly. I don't need the government to tell me what wilderness is and I certainly don't need the Sierra Club or any other anti-bike conversation group to tell me how I should experience our public land. However, we certainly have a responsibility to move through these lands gently, just as I would if I were bc skiing, hiking or on a river trip.
    The assault on public land and the environment is constant and division among user groups only hurts the cause. Public lands are grossly underfunded. The wilderness act is does not offer absolute protection- take a look at the grazing map that goes with the new wilderness area or the impending mining to be done in the Frank Church Wilderness. To know a place is to love it.

mtbexplorer- losing Castle Divide is like losing 401 and Doctor's combined.
    Fortunately we still have literally 100s of miles to ride... and there's a Teocalli ridge outside the wilderness border that is sure to put a ridiculous grin on your face!

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Downieville!

I went to Downieville for the first time this weekend. It was awesome! Did a run on Sat and one on Sun and went down things I never thought I could do. I don't really have any action shots, but do have these!

Today's Pic or Story-2015-08-15-13.45.14-hdr.jpg
    Today's Pic or Story-2015-08-15-13.45.42.jpg
    Today's Pic or Story-2015-08-15-13.44.48.jpg
    Today's Pic or Story-2015-08-15-12.57.31.jpg

9 lives
    nice pics and big smiles laine. I've heard Downieville is a great place to ride!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

First DH race out of the way!

I decided to give DH racing a crack. Our local mtb club hosted one of the regional races on a beginners track we call "beeries" - it's a fun little track that can be as easy or difficult as you want it to be. There was a massive turnout for under 19's and a huge turnout for the ladies (7 signed up, but only 5 made it to the actual race - thats massive around here!)

I got a good few practice runs in on the saturday and hit some lines that I had not done before (i.e. a rock ramp/kicker that shoots you into a rock garden... looked terrifying at first, but was actually really really really easy.)

Had a tussle with another rider during the seeding run (she overtook me twice, crashed in front of me twice as soon as she overtook me - I got around her the first time but the second I had nowhere to go and we ended up with our brake levers tangled)

I had a perfectly clean run for my race run and beat my seeding time by 28 seconds. I'm looking forward to having another go at this DH race thing in a months time... it's way more fun than XC racing! hehehe

Today's Pic or Story-1.jpgToday's Pic or Story-2.jpgToday's Pic or Story-3.jpg

9 lives
    Congrats on your race Asterope! Lookin so rad
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats Asterope! Great photos.

Dudette
    Woo hoo, Asterope - that's great stuff!
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks cyclelicious, mtbxplorer and petey15 - still feeling the stoke... can't wait for the next one!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    And another weekend on the big bike!

We got a neat little crew together to check out a commonly-used but not officially sanctioned track about 25 minutes from my house. It was my first time out there, and whilst the track itself is not technically difficult (probably the easiest I've ridden in terms of declination, obstacles and lines), the track substrate was the roughest I have ridden - I mean loose, gravelly and fine dust - the kind that slips out from under your wheels if you even dare to look at it the wrong way.

All that lovely loose gravel ended me up in a ditch on my third run down

Highlights: Being shown the ropes, all the good lines and getting a fun mornings social riding in with one of this countries best female riders. Also - watching her casually flying over the road gaps... like it was nothing...

Today's Pic or Story-img_5038.jpg

As it's so close to home and the shuttle route is reasonably short, this is going to become a regular track for me!

Dudette
    ^Wow! Wish I could fly like that!
    MTB4Her.com

Don't worry, be happy!
    Niiiiicceee!

Don't worry, be happy!
    I had a faaabbbbuuuulllloouuuss weekend.
    We kind of lost the month of August with the horrendous fires and smoke conditions. There was a couple of days of rain (ish, not much) so things are better. Much of the forest is still closed. Anyway....

Off for another backcountry adventure. I feel very lucky that we have a friend who has a cabin in a remote area that that excellent trails that are off the radar. So only locals ride them, more or less. At three hours away I'm not really a local but I do support their club. There were four of us. JM linked up three different trails for an amazing ride. We ended up doing 20 miles with 5300 feet of descending on a point to point ride. The FS trail crew had recently reworked about 75% of the trail by and and mini ex this summer so it was fricken amazing. There was one section of hikeabike that was old fall line narrow deep rutted trail but hopefull they'll get that done too.

In this pano, I'm looking out towards the ridge that we are going to ride as part of our descent:

Today's Pic or Story-11951613_10204318306632382_1184326385241400879_o.jpg

Here's a little map. The different colors are different numbered trails.
    Today's Pic or Story-12010688_1079742345369150_5073511707444056149_o.jpg

Second day we did a fun little local loop purpose built for mountain bikers by said local club. It was a fun fun trail. Ultra fun as one of our group is still nursing her baby and it was just her 4th time out this summer. Her hub had gone with us on the big ride so we all wanted to make sure she got out too.

mtbr member
    I rode in clipless pedals for the first time today. (I normally ride in Freeriders and Spike Spank pedals.) I rode around on a field first - making small circles and just clipping in and out for 30 mins. Then I figured I'd try the trail. I was definitely slower, tentative, cautious - but i really could feel the difference, especially on the short steep little annoying climbs, where I would sometimes gas out. Did about 6.5 miles to get used to them, and felt pretty good. I did clip out on some of the downhill switchbacks, and I chickened out on a few technical things - but I'm fine starting off slow and working up to it.

I went with SPDs for the first purchase, and there were times where I was struggling to find the clip-in, but I assume that will get better with use/practice? My boyfriend swears by Time Atacs, but the guy at the shop said the SPDs were a good place to start.

Excited to try again either tomorrow or next weekend!

Don't worry, be happy!
    Make sure to set the release is set loose and to keep it lubed

Moderator Moderator
    Did some bikejoring on my camping vacation in Maine. Biked to hiking trailheads from the campsite on the old paper company roads and explored other lakes via ATV trails. My dog loves it and it keeps him from getting in trouble with moose. Paddling, hiking, and lake lounging were also on the agenda.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Pic or Story-ap1070109-2-1280x960-.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-ap1070123-2-1280x960-.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-ap1070200-2-1280x960-.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-ap1070219-2-1280x960-.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-ap1070046-2-960x1280-.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-ap1070243-2-1280x960-.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-ap1070168-2-1280x960-.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-ap1070238-2-1280x960-.jpg  

Don't worry, be happy!
    Even tho it's October and the light is fading fast, our riding group Biking Betties is going STRONG! Ten riders last night! Last night we mostly noodled around for an hour just playing on big and little rocks.

They think I'm crazy 'cuz I'll nab a nameless rider to take a group photo, every time.

Today's Pic or Story-img_0522.jpg

9 lives
    Beautiful pics mtbxplorer! Your dog is a champ! I used to have to keep my dog, Rocky (a JRT) on a long leash because of coyotes.

Nice group shot formica. Everyone looks stoked
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    mtbxplorer, those are some great pics. You live in a beautiful place.

formica, those are some happy ladies. I miss riding with gals. It's the best!
    A little pain never hurt anyone.

Moderator Moderator
    Thanks for the pic and dog compliments, cyclelicious & Fuzzle! Leaf peepers are suddenly out in full force, and our trail crew will be leafblowing soon, it goes so fast.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Looks like a playful rider, too. Enjoy!

Dudette
    @mtbxplorer...did any of those paper company roads take you to Baxter State Park? It's been close to 20 years since I enjoyed that area. Great pics!
    MTB4Her.com

Moderator Moderator
    ^^The Nahmakanta state lands I explored are just south of Baxter state park. I picked it because I love the area, but Baxter has a strict no pets policy for the wildlife's sake per Gov Baxter's bequest. Adjoining Nahmakanta are many acres conserved by the Nature Conservancy & Appalachian Mtn Club. Before I got the dog I did a super bikepacking/hiking/kayaking trip in Baxter. It's in installments here if you scroll down My first bikepacking adventure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    First ride on the HD3. Definitely a playful bike.
    Untitled by Stripes The Tiger Cub, on Flickr
    Awesome Pic! I wish I could do that. Enjoy!

9 lives
    ^ Rockin' the HD3, Stripes!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Dudette
    Quite the changes in the northeast, and I'm not just talking about the leaves. Temperatures were in the low 40s (Farenheit) and low 30s today with snow! Still, I love riding this time of year. The park is virtually empty and I get the trails practically to myself without the fear of hunters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Pic or Story-image.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-image.jpg  

MTB4Her.com

Dudette
    ^ That was a 6-point buck that was just ahead of me on the trail. I stopped, hopped off my bike and backed up quite a bit before taking the shot.
    MTB4Her.com

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Nice shot of the buck! And nice air too! A little snow here in VT also, and 18F tonight! A chilly bikecommute tomorrow, I think the pogies are coming out to keep my hands warm.

Dudette
    ^ I think my fat bike will be coming out soon. Damp leaves don't do much for traction 😉
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Those are great shots petey! Nice air!

I like mtn biking, too

Today's Pic or Story

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    First ride on the HD3.... Stripes The Tiger Cub
    Yeah!!! Ibis featured your photo on their Instagram account. Such a great shot!

Petey - love the fall color! Miss the eastern US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Were just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

Dudette
    ^thanks, Shredchic and Fuzzle! I do feel fortunate, although I would love to get out west sometime to ride
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Today's Pic or Story-carolyn-rippin2.jpg

Beautiful day in the hood.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzle View Post
    Beautiful day in the hood.
    Yes it is!

mtbr member
    https://youtu.be/bxJR39sBj2o

I played here today. I just did little jumps and worked on my pumping skills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Ireland View Post
    https://youtu.be/bxJR39sBj2o

I played here today. I just did little jumps and worked on my pumping skills.
    Looks like fun! I still have yet to learn to jump.

Moderator Moderator
    Went on a group ride with the trail association yesterday, and decided to take the dog on his first group ride. As you may recall, my dog is not reliable, and apt to make his own adventures, so I told the group to carry on if I dropped off. There were 5 people and 3 dogs, and I was pleased that he got along with the dogs and did not get in anyone's way (he generally runs out in front). He did leave the group 3 times, but at least it was for 5-10 minutes, not 45. From his tracker collar I could tell he got about 350 yards away max, and his max speed was 25 mph.

In the evening, I turned the BMX into E.T.'s ride by adding a milk crate to the front and a paper bag as E.T. I put on blue jeans and a hoody for a fun and easy costume. Riding to the gathering was fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dudette
    Beautiful 1st of November day in the northeast. Wasn't able to ride last weekend, but today's temperatures in the 60s made up for that. We've had rain and strong, gusty winds this past week, which took down a lot of the leaves and covered the trails. I brought the fat bike out to play, but was pleasantly surprised to find conditions were pretty dry. Quite a change from my full-squish 29er...I have to think a bit more and use my own suspension .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Pic or Story-image.jpg  

MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Beautiful pictures Petey! I' quite impressed with your suspension. I wish my full-squish 29er work so well .

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast