Last night's ride. Full moon +River ice + fire = bliss

Today's Pic or Story-bgznmyd.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-aqxothn.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-9kltdj3.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-4z3dm9n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Wow! Unbelievable top-shelf, drop-dead gorgeous scene!

9 lives
    Went back to the next day. The sections we rode were solid (no one broke through the ice ) and we covered several kilometres.

Today's Pic or Story-a2xcr05.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-hc9z2t2.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-hedapiv.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-heogbrq.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-40seryi.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Dudette
    ^ Great shots, as always, cyclelicious! I can appreciate the need for studded tires on your rides . Looks like tons of fun, though!
    MTB4Her.com

9 lives
    Last night's ride... milder temps have melted most of the river ice, so we stayed on the trails. We made a nice fire at the camp to warm up. On the ride home we heard coyotes howling at a passing train.

Today's Pic or Story-vfpkujo.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-ohobv37.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Dudette
    ^ Great pics! Love your mid-ride fires. Temperatures have been back and forth this winter. Last week's ride was in the 20s and today's ride ended with it being 52 F! The trails were almost completely dry and mud-free. Lots of people were out enjoying the park today, in stark contrast to last week. The last two pictures are from last week and there is some snow and ice. Today there were just traces of each in only the shadiest spots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Pic or Story-image.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-image.jpg  

MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Those pics are so inspiring A friend had me pick up a pair of full sus bikes to tune/build and theres still too much snow here to see the rocks or mud. Bring on the warm...
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Moderator Moderator
    Good stuff, women of MTBR!

mtbr member
    Thanks, mtbxplorer! I finally did get out for a ride on Saturday. We drove an hour southwest of SFe to ride in sunny, 65F weather. Riding in short sleeves felt great! We are loving the fatbikes on dry singletrack. Every ride on mine surprises me more and more.

We spent 30 minutes breaking into our friend's truck after the ride because he locked his keys inside...

Today's Pic or Story-12651029_10207425893899423_4269607492856376657_n.jpg
    (my husband airing it out as I chase him down)

No more short-sleeve weather for now. I got a partial snow day today. I'm thinking about going for a spin on the fattie, but then I'll have to clean it again! I spent 2 or 3 hours over a couple of evenings cleaning it after a friend borrowed it for a very muddy ride with my husband the previous weekend (I should have made him clean the bike...). I might go check out the trails this afternoon.

I can't wait for warmer weather...
    formerly RadioActive

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Petey- I swear my n+1 is a fat bike for riding in the sand at fort ord during the winter for next year.

This year, I'm working on my right hand turns after having a cornering clinic with Kat Sweet.
    Heck yeah! I have a blast on mine! The only thing I miss from time to time is front suspension. So, I'd recommend that at least

Quote Originally Posted by mtbher View Post
    Thanks, mtbxplorer! I finally did get out for a ride on Saturday. We drove an hour southwest of SFe to ride in sunny, 65F weather. Riding in short sleeves felt great! We are loving the fatbikes on dry singletrack. Every ride on mine surprises me more and more.

We spent 30 minutes breaking into our friend's truck after the ride because he locked his keys inside...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12651029_10207425893899423_4269607492856376657_n.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	1046969
    (my husband airing it out as I chase him down)

No more short-sleeve weather for now. I got a partial snow day today. I'm thinking about going for a spin on the fattie, but then I'll have to clean it again! I spent 2 or 3 hours over a couple of evenings cleaning it after a friend borrowed it for a very muddy ride with my husband the previous weekend (I should have made him clean the bike...). I might go check out the trails this afternoon.

I can't wait for warmer weather...
    Awesome! I love getting my fatty to leave the ground. Looks like lots of fun.
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post

Awesome! I love getting my fatty to leave the ground. Looks like lots of fun.
    I love seeing your photos of you getting the front end of your fattie way up in the air! Did it take you long to master that skill? I want to learn how to wheelie - I can kinda get the front end up a little, but not too high and not consistently! I signed up for Ryan Leech's 30-day wheelie challenge a while back, but I didn't stick with it - maybe that's what I should do today.
    formerly RadioActive

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbher View Post
    I love seeing your photos of you getting the front end of your fattie way up in the air! Did it take you long to master that skill? I want to learn how to wheelie - I can kinda get the front end up a little, but not too high and not consistently! I signed up for Ryan Leech's 30-day wheelie challenge a while back, but I didn't stick with it - maybe that's what I should do today.
    I wouldn't say I've mastered the skill yet, lol. And you should see some of the shots I've taken of my face when I'm doing it - I look positively horrified. But I practice a LOT and watch a lot of video and read a lot of skills books, etc. I'm still trying to learn to wheelie reliably and be able to turn my cranks for more than a pedal stroke or two. So much of it is timing and really being able to get your weight back and NOT pulling up on the handlebars (you actually push off them and back as you initiate your pedal stroke - seems counterintuitive but it works). In the end, it's wheelie worth it
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member

It was a muddy day in some spots but warm enough that all I needed was a skinsuit for a 7 mile trail session. It felt so good to skip the sleeves and thermals.
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

9 lives
    Saturday nighty night riding. Snows almost gone, a few puddles but the ground is still frozen so there's not much mud

Today's Pic or Story-12744461_812499328879077_8749189321636992032_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Moderator Moderator
    So icy here right now, all that works is my Ice-Spiker Pro's on the MTB/commuter and the microspikes on the boots for trailwalking the dog.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    So icy here right now, all that works is my Ice-Spiker Pro's on the MTB/commuter and the microspikes on the boots for trailwalking the dog.
    mtbxplorer, seems you are uniquely qualified to answer this--should I drop everything, go to the bank and drive to Putney to buy these? Studded 29er tires, Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro Sunny Hollow is snow-free, might be rideable with these puppies!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ryetoast View Post
    mtbxplorer, seems you are uniquely qualified to answer this--should I drop everything, go to the bank and drive to Putney to buy these? Studded 29er tires, Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro Sunny Hollow is snow-free, might be rideable with these puppies!
    Yes, they are the best on ice, and they will last you a long time unless you use them on pavement a lot! The most fun you will ever have with them, although rare, is if we ever get a hard crust snow that you can ride on top of. Also, if the snowmachine trails ever open, thaw, and hard freeze, that is good riding too.

Dudette
    This winter has felt like anything but - more like an extended late fall. Any snow we have received has typically melted within a week. I've still had fun on my Muk, and jumping around on its rigid frame is going to make me really appreciate my FS 29er once I haul that out again

Today's Pic or Story-image.jpeg  

MTB4Her.com

Dudette
    Nice day riding in Santa Cruz enjoying the February before the March rains supposedly start back up.
    Awesome, Stripes! I love the face! I make the same one a lot of the time. I've found though if I make a conscious effort to smile as I go into the jump, I definitely am more relaxed. I think it's the whole "fake it 'til you make it" idea. I swear it works! Awesome seeing you get that front end up - I can tell you're really comfortable on your bike!
    MTB4Her.com

Moderator Moderator
    This winter has felt like anything but - more like an extended late fall. Any snow we have received has typically melted within a week. I've still had fun on my Muk, and jumping around on its rigid frame is going to make me really appreciate my FS 29er once I haul that out again
    Way to go, Petey!!!

Dudette
    I wish I could figure out why I make that face. I think it's the default "yoga breathing" because I am relaxed and that seems to be my jump/manual face

Yeah it's getting to the point where I can feel the weakness in the rear shock, which is going to get switched out because it wallows midstroke.

The bike itself is amazing. I can't believe I jumped it as far as I did back in January.

I did get some wearable courage recently: a bell super 2r. I figured if I know I'm going to ride places I want to try something steep, I have a chin bar I can take with me.

You look like yer doing well too. What do you use for your camera setup? I have a gorilla pod somewhere I've been thinking of taking with me to see if I can get some shots and video when I ride solo.
    You should see some of my photos - I look positively mortified - but I'm having a blast! I'll admit, I think I'm always a bit surprised when my wheel goes up a lot higher than I had anticipated.

I use a small tripod I put my camera on. I put it on TV mode (it's a shutter setting mode, I guess, lol) and set the self-timer for 30 seconds and then I usually adjust it somewhere between 5-7 shots. Checking out the photos after I jump really helps me critique things and make adjustments as I go. And it's fun!
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Rad pics, Petey and Stripes! I'm jealous--I think it rain/slushed 2 inches today in VT!

But! I got those spiked tires that I asked mtbxplorer about so I will be ready to shred when it freezes, annnnnnnnnnnd I bought a new frame! *exhibits terrible dance moves* 2014 Canfield Yelli Screamy, after much agonizing--and I'm gonna try to do a 1x10 build. I got some race face turbine cranks set up for 2x cheap on eBay, but then I found a DM chainring in GOLD, which pretty much tipped the scales, and I still have all the 2x stuff around if my wimpy legs aren't up to the challenge. SO STOKED!

Dudette
    Rad pics, Petey and Stripes! I'm jealous--I think it rain/slushed 2 inches today in VT!

But! I got those spiked tires that I asked mtbxplorer about so I will be ready to shred when it freezes, annnnnnnnnnnd I bought a new frame! *exhibits terrible dance moves* 2014 Canfield Yelli Screamy, after much agonizing--and I'm gonna try to do a 1x10 build. I got some race face turbine cranks set up for 2x cheap on eBay, but then I found a DM chainring in GOLD, which pretty much tipped the scales, and I still have all the 2x stuff around if my wimpy legs aren't up to the challenge. SO STOKED!
    That's awesome! I've heard/read nothing but good things about that frame. Will look forward to build pictures!
    MTB4Her.com

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats ryetoast, sounds awesome. Hope you are mounting those studded tires now because the high of 22F tomorrow will be perfect!

Dudette
    This weekend was gorgeous! Lots of sun and 60F today. I took advantage and did some trail work along the way. This winter may not have provided us with much snow, but it sure was windy and there've been a number of downed trees. I love a good logover (or log pile, or whatever you want to call them) and a big tree across the trail gave me the perfect excuse to make one. I sure was glad I had my folding saw in my pack for just this sort of opportunity . Today I came across another that had fallen in disrepair and people had created a go 'round. That one is once again rideable from both directions

So, the images are out of order, lol. The last should be first, and the first, last.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Pic or Story-image.jpeg  

MTB4Her.com

fka littlebird
    No pics, but I spent yesterday at the skills park working on manuals. (I have a solid wheelie, but discovered a skill gap--lifting the front end at speed.)

My husband gave me a quick crash course on how to do it, critiqued my form, and I spent the rest of our time there practicing on the pump track, off drops, etc. I learned how to properly do a drop, not just roll it! I'm proud of myself.

(Oh, and I'm really sore today.)

Dudette
    ^ Congrats, Lucy! Sounds like tons of fun. Wish we had a skills park nearby. I'm jealous of your wheelie abilities! I've only managed a few pedal strokes. I suppose I should get back at it!
    MTB4Her.com

fka littlebird

Yes!!! Post pics when it's built. Congrats!

^ Congrats, Lucy! Sounds like tons of fun. Wish we had a skills park nearby. I'm jealous of your wheelie abilities! I've only managed a few pedal strokes. I suppose I should get back at it!
    Thanks Petey! Learning the wheelie was like putting my skills in hyperdrive... I think the manual will be the same! I'm pumped to try it on the trail.

Don't worry, be happy!
    We've kicked off our Biking Betties for the season. Our first two rides have been really short due to daylight constraints, but that hasn't stopped the gals from coming out, even with nasty weather looming. The rides are short, as in 2-3 miles/45 mins. It's going through the motions to get a ride in, not a real ride, but still tons of fun. Once we get to the time change we can start to make them longer.

We had 27 gals last week, 18 this week. Lots of new gals are showing up solo which is extremely cool. The co-leader and I (and a few of the gals) were interviewed for a feature article in next month's local outdoor magazine.

I finally put a little website into place so that all the non-facebook people can have access to the group info.

Biking Betties: Mountain Biking For Women

last week:

Today's Pic or Story-12743487_10153836925481550_5725457827300706645_n.jpg

Last night:

Today's Pic or Story-img_5174.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-12795561_10153855444041550_6655920227207266759_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Awesome!!! YEAH!

mtbr member

Good job! So much Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Awesome!!! YEAH!
    This past week, we were one of the sponsors that helped Bell Launch their impressive Joy Ride program in Santa Cruz,CA. Since we design bikes sized for everyone and have custom tuned shocks for lightweight riders, the ambassadors had their choice of Ripley, HD3 or Mojo3 bikes to ride. The ambassadors flew in from all across the US and Canada and are now back in their home towns planning rides for YOU! They are about fun and getting out and riding with other like minded women. Bell Joy Ride
    Unfortunately, after an impressive 3 weeks of blissful sunshine, the big ride on Saturday was rained out, so we only got to go on a ride with these gals on Friday. Instead of canceling the event, Bell sponsored a rider appreciation day with games, emergency first aid clinics, bike fit seminar and innovations with suspension and bike design, beer and food. About 80 people showed up and it was AWESOME!

Thanks: Blackburn,Giro,CamelBak,Luna,Spokesman,Kinetic Koffee, Ibis Cycles Enduro team riders (Caro & Anita Gherig, Mary Moncorge) California Enduro,Girls Rock, and Trynt Young and the amazing press for covering this from Pinkbike/MTBR/Dirt Rag/BRAIN.

(photo credit: Bell-Josh Sawyer)
    Photo1.I'm explaining how I shape the bike frames
    Photo2.The new "mud bath" look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Pic or Story-_dsc7053.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-_dsc6841.jpg  

Don't worry, be happy!
    Neato - one of our Betties (Karina M from Idaho) is also a Joy Ride ambassador and we'll be attending each others events.

Ibisgirl, take a look at the vintage Ibis in my photo montage... how cool it that??!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Neato - one of our Betties (Karina M from Idaho) is also a Joy Ride ambassador and we'll be attending each others events.

Ibisgirl, take a look at the vintage Ibis in my photo montage... how cool it that??!!
    Super SWOON! Love the Ibis Vintage ride you have @formica!!
    Say, "Hi" to Karina! I met her at our HQ. So excited to have your events grow and support one another.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Oh, it's not mine. It belongs to Nina, the gal with it.

Dudette
    @ formica and IbisGirl - great stuff, both of you! So awesome to see so many women involved and out riding. We're definitely out there, and our numbers are growing!
    MTB4Her.com

9 lives
    Yesterday's ride. Snow is melting, temps are rising, days are getting longer

Today's Pic or Story-12821375_823191687809841_6471301301369582354_n.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-10404076_823191974476479_3301305138339777570_n.jpg

And my daffodils have appeared!

Today's Pic or Story-12821340_823021864493490_4151328973128204413_n.jpg

Spring is coming
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Nice! Similar walks here today, ice almost gone! Taking care of 2 extra dogs and they are better at a walking pace.

Dudette
    Spring is definitely on its way! Trails are drying up and each time I'm out, I find something to clean up or fix. Loving this time of year!
    MTB4Her.com

Dudette
    There's a section of trails I ride frequently with lots of natural bowls, downed trees and endless possibilities - it's a flood plain next to a brook. A couple of years ago when we experienced a lot of flooding, the area was completely submerged in water and many of the trails had to be rerouted or redone. There isn't much elevation change once you get in there and the trails are really fast and flowy. I connected one part of the trail through a natural drop to another section, to add a little challenge and fun. This was my first time attempting drops and this one can easily be rolled with no consequence - perfect for a beginner I'm completely hooked and can't wait to expand my skills further!

MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    There's a section of trails I ride frequently with lots of natural bowls, downed trees and endless possibilities - it's a flood plain next to a brook. A couple of years ago when we experienced a lot of flooding, the area was completely submerged in water and many of the trails had to be rerouted or redone. There isn't much elevation change once you get in there and the trails are really fast and flowy. I connected one part of the trail through a natural drop to another section, to add a little challenge and fun. This was my first time attempting drops and this one can easily be rolled with no consequence - perfect for a beginner I'm completely hooked and can't wait to expand my skills further!
    Those pics have SO. MUCH. AWESOME!!!

I've just got back from a moto-themed spring break in Florida, where I also accomplished some MTBing on mostly flat but very tight and twisty single track. On Wednesday, my evil boyfriend suggested I borrow his Strava-equipped phone and do a hot lap, which I did in mortal fear as I'd forgotten my gloves and my bike has very wide bars... Sure enough I went OTB twice in five minutes from tagging trees and scraped up my hands! Live and don't learn! :P

Got home and went to the post office to collect my life savings...

Today's Pic or Story-bike.jpg

New frame is in--as well as a new drivetrain (in those boxes) to go with it! It's smaller, slacker, lighter and shinier than the old one, and I am SO EXCITED to spend mud season building it up!

Dudette
    Those pics have SO. MUCH. AWESOME!!!

I've just got back from a moto-themed spring break in Florida, where I also accomplished some MTBing on mostly flat but very tight and twisty single track. On Wednesday, my evil boyfriend suggested I borrow his Strava-equipped phone and do a hot lap, which I did in mortal fear as I'd forgotten my gloves and my bike has very wide bars... Sure enough I went OTB twice in five minutes from tagging trees and scraped up my hands! Live and don't learn! :P

Got home and went to the post office to collect my life savings...

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	244.2 KB 
ID:	1056753

New frame is in--as well as a new drivetrain (in those boxes) to go with it! It's smaller, slacker, lighter and shinier than the old one, and I am SO EXCITED to spend mud season building it up!
    Yay!!! That's awesome! Can't wait to see the completed build! So much fun
    MTB4Her.com

9 lives
    Rebuilt my Transition Bandit. It was a plusher ride compared to my Chromag Stylus which I have been riding for 2 years

Today's Pic or Story-l7wfhgu.jpg

Pic from last Sunday's ride
    Today's Pic or Story-t2lbpp7.jpg

We've had several days of rain. A coldfront moved in but the weekend looks good for riding
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Rebuilt my Transition Bandit. It was a plusher ride compared to my Chromag Stylus which I have been riding for 2 years

Name:	l7WfHgu.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	410.9 KB 
ID:	1057668

Pic from last Sunday's ride

Name:	t2lBPp7.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	493.9 KB 
ID:	1057669

We've had several days of rain. A coldfront moved in but the weekend looks good for riding
    Sweet ride! What sized wheels are those? Lately I've been drooling over the Transition Scout - I know, I know - just a couple of months ago it was the Liv Intrigue SX. But, the Scout seems so snappy and playful, and after having a blast on my rigid fattie all winter, I'm questioning how much travel I really need for the trails I frequent the most. Are you on a small? How does it fit/feel? So many amazing bikes out there, how o you choose?
    MTB4Her.com

9 lives
    Thanks Petey. The frame is a 2011 Transition Bandit 26". I intended to sell it when I got the 2014 Chromag Stylus ht but instead hung on to it. I was recently looking at the Scout because I was interested in a 27.5. (My hubby has a 27.5 Bronson and likes it). After some thought I decided to rebuild the Bandit. I'm glad I did. It's got 1x10 On One set up, 2016 XT brakes, Fox fork, tubeless Stan etc. The bike is light and rides nicely in all mountain terrain. It will be a good ride for me until I'm ready for a new bike... which will likely be a 27.5
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Mega ride yesterday despite the heavy rain we had over night, nice warm sun and quiet trails like always.

9 lives
    Recent weekend rides. There is still a bit of snow in shady areas. Explored an old abandoned farm house and climbed a a big tree stump Rode 22 km mostly singletrack

Today's Pic or Story-8dwpcl5.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-12916864_833476720114671_303059987278462377_o.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-12885992_833481586780851_1723401029748991095_o.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-12890945_833480820114261_197121950233248116_o.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-vmwwcxh.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Moderator Moderator
    I'm off the bike and on the kickped (push scooter) for a couple weeks, as it is carry-on friendly and I am at training in warmer climes for 2 weeks. Still fun to roll! Missed trail crew startup meeting, but plenty of work to do on my adopted trails when I get back, as spring melt came early.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Great write up on our group.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Pic or Story-img_0545.jpg  

Dudette
    ^ Great stuff, formica! Just returned from an almost 2-week vacation down south to snow and COLD. More is forecast for this weekend - just in time for the first mtb class I help instruct and our first scheduled trail work day. Waaaah! Lol.
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Spent all weekend hiding from the cold in the basement working on my Yelli build. It's at 95%, just waiting on a kit to shorten my rear brake line and a little more ano gold! Gonna do a little writeup on the build process in a bit here, but in the meantime, let's just say this thing FLIES.

There it is after its inaugural ride on a multi-use trail near the house, seat slammed for hucking the water bars.

Today's Pic or Story-file_001.jpg

Dudette
    Spent all weekend hiding from the cold in the basement working on my Yelli build. It's at 95%, just waiting on a kit to shorten my rear brake line and a little more ano gold! Gonna do a little writeup on the build process in a bit here, but in the meantime, let's just say this thing FLIES.

There it is after its inaugural ride on a multi-use trail near the house, seat slammed for hucking the water bars.

Name:	File_001.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	332.7 KB 
ID:	1062118
    Weeeee! Lookin' great! Where's all of your snow?? Aren't you in the NE? Lucky you to have missed it.
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Weeeee! Lookin' great! Where's all of your snow?? Aren't you in the NE? Lucky you to have missed it.
    Yeah, we had a dusting for a second but it didn't last long. Still 15 degrees out now though, and the forecast looks like more of the same. Hope all my little trees in the yard don't die.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I finally got my bike build odyssey written up on my blog, check it out with the caution that it is LONG! :P

The Imaginary Dirt Bike Blog is Real: SO YOU WANT TO BUILD A BICYCLE...

It's still snowing here, so a full review of the new beast will have to wait until the trails get some sun. Initial performance indicators are VERY promising...

fka littlebird
    So stoked for you!!!! It looks great.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Great write up on our group.
    You can read the actual article on pg 13 here
    https://issuu.com/snyderzzz/docs/april2016
    There doesn't appear to be a web link.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    You can read the actual article on pg 13 here
    https://issuu.com/snyderzzz/docs/april2016
    There doesn't appear to be a web link.
    Aww that sounds like so much fun! I only ever get to ride with dudes... Y'all want to start a VT chapter?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I don't wanna jinx it, but I think spring is here. I've been on the bike five days in a row if you count Friday's road ride! Here's the beast this morning, waiting around while I catch my breath for another run down the jump trail.

Today's Pic or Story-yellimonday.jpg

9 lives
    This evening's ride. It was a little chilly but trails were dry

Today's Pic or Story-13071752_850076055121404_6504690953361703215_o.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I've had an exciting weekend! Finally hit Baby's First Cliff Jump here at Cady Hill. There is a two-foot line, which is not very well established and has an awkward run-up, and a four-foot line, which is well worn-in and a total straight-shot no-brainer.......... BUT it's four frickin' FEET just to the bottom of the cliff, let alone to wherever you land! Keeping that one on the to-do list, but I got a little queasy just looking at it, TBH.

https://youtu.be/vyKcgRgpiDg

And today I visited another local trail system and went spectacularly OTB casing a tiny TINY double in front of a bunch of bros, so that was good. Live and don't learn... :P

9 lives
    Spent Sunday riding and doing trail clean up. Exceeded my volunteer participation hours for the month of April. Fun day, excellent weekend, great month

Today's Pic or Story-13086997_1752145611696549_6620217031795858463_o.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Dudette
    Been a busy few weekends! I help instruct mountain biking for our local college's outdoor education program. It's the same class I took 10 years ago that got me started. Nothing I love more than giving back to this sport I love and sharing it with others. Hopefully some will also get the "bug" and pursue mtb as a life-long passion.

Our first ride was an indoor bike rodeo due to inclement weather. I got this idea from a video online. We strung large dowels along a pipe in the parking garage and had the students ride between them to simulate tree squeezes. We also spread them out so they could do a slalom.
    Today's Pic or Story-img_3506.jpg

Teaching logovers. It's so much fun to watch the progress everyone makes!
    Today's Pic or Story-img_3865.jpg

We had our club's first trail work day on Sunday - almost 30 volunteers showed up! We accomplished a lot, including a big reroute for a connector trail.

Name:  New Trail 2.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  114.4 KB

I reworked one of our logovers. It's been in sore need of repairs and as it's on an uphill section, smoothing out the downhill side was paramount.
    Name:  Logover 1.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  109.0 KB

Doing what I love!
    Name:  New Trail.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  173.9 KB
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Oh boy, I had one helluva weekend! I decided to compete in my first race, just to see if I would 1) enjoy it, and 2) be anywhere near competitive. I signed up for an XC race in Cloudcroft, NM - the High Altitude Classic. I was sooo nervous in the week leading up to race day! Short story, it did and it didn't go as planned.

I went down there with a friend and riding buddy of mine who had signed up for the Men's Cat1 50-59 group (he's an avid racer and one of the strongest climbers I know. I've learned a lot from him). I was signed up for the Women's Cat3 30-39 (thank god, only 13 miles. My friend had to do 30... haha!). First off, the trail was a bit more challenging than I expected - not only the elevation (Cloudcroft is 1600ft higher than where I live, and I thought I was high up there at 7000ft!), but also the terrain - steep, punchy climbs covered in babyheads, a straight, fast, long downhill section with marbles, and a sustained climb from the bottom that rose 1100ft in 3 miles. Ouch (the climb up the forest road was the worst part - it just seemed so endless).

We arrived early to warm up on the first part of the course and as I was coming back to town, right before the singletrack hit the road, I washed out in a loose turn and dislocated my elbow. No. Freaking. Way. Just my luck, I mess myself up right before my first race. Like 20 minutes before the start. As I am sitting there on the trail, trying to get my elbow to slip back in place (this has happened once before), I am pondering whether my race is over before it even started. Some other riders came by and asked if I was alright - by that time, I had managed to get things back in their proper location and I was able to ride my bike back into town. I leaned my bike against our truck and walked across the street to the bike shop in hopes that I could find an ACE bandage to wrap up my elbow. I was starting to feel woozy at that point. They didn't have any bandages, so I turned around to go outside and check out another store. I made it past the threshold of the door and the next thing I know, one of the guys from the shop is picking me up off the ground and setting me on the bench. They had no idea what had happened and were totally freaked out. I came to almost immediately and told them that I was okay; I apparently passed out from the pain or the shock of the dislocation. They had already called an ambulance, but I was able to tell them that I was fine (and honestly I was). I found my riding buddy, who was lining up to start already (oh, shit, I need to hurry) and I told him what had happened. I think I mentioned to him that I was going to try to race, but I am not sure because he told me afterwards that he thought about not racing after I told him what happened. I had no luck at the gas station, but I finally found a bandage at a store across the highway. I ran back, wrapping my arm as I went, grabbed my bike and lined up with the other ladies with about 5 minutes to spare. I can tell you this - it took my mind off being nervous about the start! Haha!

Surprisingly, my elbow was fine during the race. The only thing that got to me was the fatigue in my arm from it being in one position the entire time. I raced as hard as I could and had a blast. It was really tough and I had some good competition, but I managed to squeak out a win (I had the overall fastest time in Women's Cat3 and I was 11 minutes behind the Men's Cat3 30-39 winner. Not too bad). I was only about 2 minutes in front of the second place winner in my group. I am so glad that I decided to go for it despite my injury. It was such a good learning experience and I hope to do many more in the future! My ultimate goal is to race enduro - I'm signed up for one next month - but I wanted to get my feet wet before I jumped into something like that. Oh, and my riding partner took 3rd in his category (out of 5) despite having a flat and bonking on the third lap.

Today's Pic or Story-13076889_983899045020203_6492472229422929881_n.jpg

(the guy with the blonde hair behind us was the one that picked me up off the ground when I passed out. When my name was called and I walked up there, he looked at me in disbelief and said, "you won?!" Haha!)

Definitely an interesting first race! I can't say that I ever want to repeat that, though!
    formerly RadioActive

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    mtbher, that is simultaneously the worst/best first race story I have ever heard! Congrats on the win, that is AMAZING!!

Dudette
    Woo hoo, mtbher!!! Congrats on the win - what a story!
    MTB4Her.com

9 lives
    Great story mtbher and big congrats on the win.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Thanks, you guys! It was seriously a lot of fun. So much fun that I am considering signing up for a local race this weekend! (my hubby and I were originally planning to go to Moab this weekend, but the weather - and my elbow - are not looking good for riding out there. He might race, too!). I'm thinking singlespeed (I ride these trails all the time and they are best ridden (i.e. most fun) on a SS); I am just not sure if I can do 18 miles (2 laps) at race-pace! O.O We'll see how my elbow does - I have until Thurs night to sign up.
    formerly RadioActive

Don't worry, be happy!
    One of my pals hub is a really good photographer. It's always fun when he's in shooting mode. This is my go-to neighborhood trail system, abot 15 mins from my house.

Cracks me up how big this looks from his perspective (it's not very)
    Today's Pic or Story-beacon_5000wall_kyle-resize.jpg

Just tooling along
    Today's Pic or Story-beacon_bikejunk_kyle-resize.jpg

Fun little trail jump
    Today's Pic or Story-ezzy_jump-crop-resize.jpg

on the Gnar Wall
    Today's Pic or Story-gnarwall-kyle-resize.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    SO and I did something a bit different last week - we took our bikes with us to go camping in a national park about 10 hours south of where we live. We usually just go hiking when we go camping, but you can ride in national parks in the state we visited so we decided to do some different exploring - ended up being one of the most pleasant, scenic and enjoyable trail rides I have ever done (as well as being the highest! hehehe)

We visited Barrington Tops NP - the southernmost Gondwanan rainforest reserve in the country. The trail followed a looping path through montane swampland (one of the highest in the country) before climbing up to sub-alpine eucalypt forest and through some interesting sub-alpine rainforest. Some hikers let us know that we got lucky to get views from Careys peak, as the tops are usually covered in thick fog - we got to experience the thick fog and constant rain on our last two days there... This place has recorded snow in the middle of summer - luckily that didn't happen because I certainly had not packed for it!

The view from Careys peak over the Barrington Tops
    Today's Pic or Story-13086905_10153725023413668_4472359714587331176_o.jpg

The last part of the ride - I had fallen into two swampy creeks and had an OTB due to a branch getting stuck in my wheel by this time... 27kms and over 700m (about 2300ft) of climbing
    Today's Pic or Story-13055601_10153572060042816_5084982248901859510_n.jpg

Riding through the tall gums to Mt Barrington at 1558m (5111ft)
    Today's Pic or Story-13096114_10153572060282816_6783586402807015570_n.jpg

QOM at Mt Barrington - lunch was soon had!
    Today's Pic or Story-13015218_10153572060217816_7070523959006751907_n.jpg

Leaving the Barringtons after 4 days adventuring - you can see the fog and thick cloud covering the mountains in the distance - It was nice to get home and have a looooooong hot shower hehehehe
    Today's Pic or Story-13055124_10153573736712816_6843707410627326501_o.jpg

Don't worry, be happy!
    southernmost Gondwanan rainforest
    ...As in Gondwanaland? Ancient, ancient land? How cool is that...
    Yes, I'm a geology nerd.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yep - as in Gondwanaland Based on the the flora and fauna content of the regions being identical or similar to those found when Australia was part of the Gonwana continent.

It seriously feels like some wild ancient creatures could jump out at you any moment when visiting these reserves... You really do get a sense of being somewhere really really *OLD*.

mtbr member
    This thread continues to be totally AWESOME!! Nice Asterope!! So many places, so little time. Aloha!

mtbr member
    One of my pals hub is a really good photographer. It's always fun when he's in shooting mode. This is my go-to neighborhood trail system, abot 15 mins from my house.

Cracks me up how big this looks from his perspective (it's not very)

Name:	Beacon_5000wall_kyle-resize.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	1066550
    Formica, that trail looks RAD!
    formerly RadioActive

Moderator Moderator
    Awesome stuff here! I've been busy on trailwork (group and solo/adopted trail) as Millstone is opening this weekend! 4" of snow on Monday put a damper on it, but it has been dry and sunny since, although snow still remains in the shadier spots. Commuting has been complicated by construction, but I am too stubborn to give up or even change routes due to flaggers making me wait until all cars have passed, or sheriffs objecting to my taking the lane over the diagonal RR tracks.

Trailwork crew https://www.facebook.com/events/500735016779872/

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm involved with trailwork on the regular for one of the local private DH tracks, and am amazed what a bit of rain can do to bed in or completely ruin any maintenance... I cannot imagine what a season of snow does to the trails!!

Whats it like maintaining trails after a season of snow? does it really wash out the trail or not have much of an effect?

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterope View Post
    I'm involved with trailwork on the regular for one of the local private DH tracks, and am amazed what a bit of rain can do to bed in or completely ruin any maintenance... I cannot imagine what a season of snow does to the trails!!

Whats it like maintaining trails after a season of snow? does it really wash out the trail or not have much of an effect?
    I don't think the snow has much of an effect on the trails because it melts off fairly gradually - but it can also depend on how good the drainage is to begin with. If the drainage is poor and the trail is on a fall line, well, then it's a mess.

I think more damage is done by people riding too early in the season before the trails are dried out, creating ruts which just attract more water. Then people don't want to get all muddy so they ride around them, and so on. If the trails are done right, you shouldn't see any difference in them after the snow melts.
    MTB4Her.com

Don't worry, be happy!
    Snow melting i to the soil will help new tread bed in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Survived four lousy days of exams and got back on the bike last night, just in time for opening day at the local super-gnarly super-steep trails. The new steed performed admirably--it is so easy to get the front end up on the downhills that I finally had the guts to hit some steep lines that I'd always avoided on my last bike.

Today's Pic or Story-13096152_10154113015251779_6613746251749144537_n.jpg
    Victory!

Today's Pic or Story-13043796_10154113015331779_1315784660681197491_n.jpg
    And defeat. Thankfully this happened in the last 500 yards of the ride!

After an early season of sandy flow trails, getting back into the gnarl was a bit of a shock, new steed or no. It's LUMPY out there! Though looking at that fork o-ring thing, maybe I should back off the compression a little next time...

mtbr member
    Fun stuff. It does look like maybe the fork is set a bit stiff(from here). Is the sag where it needs to be? That can be a bit of a bother to set up properly.
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterope View Post

It depends on the winter, we had very little snow this year and fewer -20F days. Most of the work this year was leafblowing (my trails had 2' deep matted beech leaves). Fewer blowdowns than usual (less sawing/chainsawing). Snowmelt was not bad, but the places that don't drain well in rain don't drain well in snowmelt either. We had some extra work due to winter logging in the town forest, clearing slash off the trails, etc.

Moderator Moderator

Name:	13096152_10154113015251779_6613746251749144537_n.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	1067024
    Victory!
    Where is this one, Rye?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Supersedona, the sag is not where it ought to be... It was bottoming out on me on the jump trails and that's most of what I was riding last fall, so I messed around until it was A+ for jumps/flow and evidently C- for plowing through roots and rocks. I turned compression down and rebound up a bit today and that helped, but I think this weekend I'll put it the pressures back to what the manual says and see if it's any better.

Mtbexplorer, this is on Joe's at Perry Hill. Two days there in a row and I am feelin' it in the quads!

Moderator Moderator
    Mtbexplorer, this is on Joe's at Perry Hill. Two days there in a row and I am feelin' it in the quads!
    Oh yeah, that'll do it, killer hill. I didn't make it over there last year, or maybe once. I will have to go this year, but pretty sure I won't make it up without going regularly.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    As a male, I'm aware that I probably shouldn't be posting here, but after browsing through this thread, I just wanted to say that you're all awesome and, if I could propose to every one of you, I would.

Happy trails and keep doin' what you do!

HDP

mtbr member
    Cool observation when I was at the Michaux XC race in Gettysburg pa yesterday. It was the first time that the senior men 19-34 was outnumbered by the women Out of a well attended event we were almost 2 to 1 in the 10 mile set. Usually it's the other way around. Would have had pics but it was all rain/fog.
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by supersedona View Post
    Cool observation when I was at the Michaux XC race in Gettysburg pa yesterday. It was the first time that the senior men 19-34 was outnumbered by the women Out of a well attended event we were almost 2 to 1 in the 10 mile set. Usually it's the other way around. Would have had pics but it was all rain/fog.
    Woohoo! Saw more girls than guys unloading their bikes at the trailhead the other day--cue Sam Cooke, "It's been a long time coming, but a change is gonna come!"

It rained on Sunday and I had a dirt bike race on Saturday, so my mtb story for this weekend is "I changed some wheel bearings." :P I'm thinking of trying my first enduro next weekend, so having the front wheel wobbling around seemed even less appealing than usual--and the good old LBS even had the bearings I needed in stock!

9 lives
    Squeezed in a ride on Saturday before the rain. Happy to see signs of spring

Trilliums
    Today's Pic or Story-13151409_1754828198094957_8757553201988422276_n.jpg

Ramps (ready for picking)
    Today's Pic or Story-13119945_854193781376298_1265532922842463118_o.jpg

Fiddleheads not ready
    Today's Pic or Story-13086776_854194918042851_5461302086228825773_o.jpg

me
    Today's Pic or Story-13055129_854193668042976_2151005332315387810_o.jpg

Sunday did a long run between rain squalls
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Moderator Moderator
    All 5 brave Barre Bombers survived the 4.5 mile/1100' descent on kid's 16" wheel bikes - fun and hilarious! I rode a Schwinn with a coaster brake (center). This is the start at a radio tower. It was on a dirt and then paved road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Pic or Story-p1080511.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Trail riding plans scuttled by rain, so I cut down my fork tube (finally!), went for a road ride, then practiced wheelies and manuals in the yard.

I am perhaps more proud of this than any other single accomplishment in my life, with the exception of passing Calc I.

https://youtu.be/Bzgg2Q4q33o

I have led a very productive life, as you can tell!

Could have held it longer...maybe...but I didn't want to go down the bank into the driveway and die!

Oh, and a gratuitous bike picture:

Today's Pic or Story-roadridesmall.jpg

Don't worry, be happy!
    That is so awesome. How did you get to that point? Dedicated practice very day for .......? Ryan Leech's video course? Do tell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    That is so awesome. How did you get to that point? Dedicated practice very day for .......? Ryan Leech's video course? Do tell.
    Thanks!! I've been trying half-assedly for ages, but this was the first time it worked at all! SO STOKED. This is my go-to motivational video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkWnV4RDzkU (part of it may have to do with my crush on Neil there )

He kind of pre-loads the suspension with his knees in the vid, but for me on the 29er hardtail, I have to almost bring my chest to the bars to compress the forks, then drop my hips back and DOWN--like way more down than feels natural--on the rebound while kicking the pedals forward.

With this and wheelies, the only way I got the confidence to lift the wheel at all was to go out on some nice soft grass and actively try to flip the bike over backward. Broke the ol' tailbone wheelie-ing my dirt bike a while back so I think I'm still working through some nerves!

fka littlebird
    Nice work, Rye!

Dudette
    Nice job, Rye! I'm jealous! I gotta get back at working on wheelies, but now I want to add this to my list. That site you linked has lots of great videos. I've been diggin' Seth's Bike Hacks lately, too. You just totally increased my stoke - thanks!
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks Lucy and Petey! Of course I tried it again today and could hardly get the wheel off the ground, but progress is seldom linear... well, I'll just keep telling myself that, anyway!

Thanks for the tip on Seth's Bike Hacks! I think I saw his very comprehensive Walmart bike test a while back, funny stuff. Just subscribed to the channel as I clearly need more MTB material to watch instead of studying for finals!

I finally installed Strava on my phone today after much moral resistance, but it almost instantly proved its worth as a fitness motivator. Generally neither hell nor high water could convince me to go BACK up the Northfield hill climb after I've already ridden up and down once--at that point I assume I've earned a date with Ben and Jerry and go home. But just inform me that someone is 10 seconds faster than me on the gnarliest downhill segment, and I'm like "ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH, DEAR FRIENDS!!!"

Dudette
    Had a good weekend riding-wise: Saturday we had our last bike class for the semester and Sunday was a beautiful, sunny day that I spent playing around on various trail features.

Spring is in the air and all of the wildflowers are starting to make their appearance. It's a great time to get out and ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Pic or Story-bleedinghearts2.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-easternspringbeauty.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-springingmerlin.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-springingmerlin2.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-trillium.jpg  

MTB4Her.com

9 lives
    Trillums, May Apples and riding! <3
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    We had similar weather (and fun in our neck of the woods )

Today's Pic or Story-13131771_1757510991160011_5232449658720255366_o.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-pmm9boa.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-ct4yllx.jpg

The Ostrich ferns are not ready yet
    Today's Pic or Story-985901d1430705466-local-trail-rides-11150630_681473808648297_4074418269794415619_n.jpg

But the small ones are

Today's Pic or Story-13112903_1757511447826632_4898895337781337095_o.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Dudette
    ^ Fiddleheads!! Yummy! Love this time of year
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Today's Pic or Story-13198538_10156930075095442_3186195495197476661_o.jpg

Just picked up my 2016 Specialized Rhyme yesterday (after a 5 month wait, oh my goodness!). First time riding a non-XC race type bike. Took a bit getting use to, but then I started having fun!

Dudette
    ^ Congratulations on the new ride! Ride report?
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Congrats on the new ride, Sooshee!!

Last night I finally crashed in one of those very fast, very steep places on the trail where I always think, "Gee, it would really suck to crash here!" Going for a PR on Strava had NOTHING to do with it, I am positive!

Today's Pic or Story-13173633_10154143601626779_2654251421042561201_n.jpg
    "Mistakes were made."

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 144