Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Finally was able to get out and ride today it was sunny and about 38 degrees (a heat wave for us), still snow on the roads. The slush was tricky but managable. Going to be a while yet before any trails are ridable.

Today's Pic or Story-amy-bike.jpg

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    Finally the northeast saw sun, mild temperatures and dry trails (at least where I rode- an hour's drive from home). My bike and camera were all the company I needed today!
    Awesome! Yes, you look like you were having tons-o-fun! So good to see people getting out.

mtbr member
    Got out again today, this time with some friends. I took the opportunity to get some action shots of someone besides myself.

The first is my friend, Ray, demonstrating to his wife, Betty that it's all about momentum. The second shot is Betty, on her third attempt. She just started really riding trails last year and broke some ribs on another log pile last fall. Unfortunately I missed her first successful crossing. You can probably tell she's a little far forward and her front wheel is turned...I call this shot "Legend of the Fall".
    The third shot I give "two bums up" and the fourth is her asking if I caught all that on my camera; she's a great sport and didn't break this time
    More great passion. It's not the miles, it's the smiles.

mtbr member
    Nice shot! Great determination on the face.

mtbr member
    Aloha, great pic. Wowza, seems cold for me. Well, I take that back, I have ridden in colder weather from time to time. Great smile, so awesome to see you're getting out to ride.

mtbr member
    Nicole - I love the photo!

I had my first endo on Saturday. My boyfriend and I rode part of Mag 7 out in Moab and I ate it about 500ft from the trailhead! I usually don't have trouble descending technical bits (unless there's exposure), but my concentration was thrown off and I lost it going off one of the ledges/steps. Luckily, my face broke my fall. Sandstone isn't very forgiving.
    After I realized that my head was still in one piece and all my teeth were in place, we continued on one fun ride (minus our decision to listen to the shuttle driver's suggestion to exit on Gemini Bridges road - not only does the road just suck, but the winds were so strong that we were pedaling downhill back to town. We should have done the Portal route! Next time...).

This photo was taken at the end of our ride, about 3 or so hours later. It didn't look so bad then. My lip is quite swollen now (I sliced up the inside of it pretty good with my teeth) and my cheek is a little purple. I'm also discovering other little aches on the rest of my body.

It could have ended up a lot worse... I feel really lucky to come out of it relatively unscathed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Pic or Story-541650_10200467115614315_1013390105_n.jpg  

Dudette

Celebrating Earth Day

I was on-call this weekend, so as luck would have it, my "weekend" fell on Earth Day. Even better, it was sunny and in the 50's (of course, it's Monday, right?). I enjoyed a few hours at one of my favorite haunts. I'm still working on jumping...I need to remember to shift my weight back a little more. I loved the turtles basking in the sun. You know it's Spring when they are out. The last is a trout lily that was growing next to the trail. Such an odd name for a pretty little flower.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Pic or Story-image.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-image.jpg  

Team Chilidog!
    Wow, that's beautiful Petey. Sounds like you had a great time

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Wow, that's beautiful Petey. Sounds like you had a great time
    Thanks! I did have a great time - seemed like a perfect way to celebrate the day

Dudette
    This thread has been far too quiet - where has everyone been? Ever since my first bike park experience and now looking forward to my first freeride clinic in October, I've been a bit obsessed with learning new skills, particularly with drops or trying to catch air. I built up a smallish drop (~1' or so tall) and worked on that today. Here's one shot I got with the self-timer. I wish I had it on video so I could see how it looked in the air (because it didn't seem like I went that far off the drop) but, today was my first attempt, so I decided to cut myself a little slack

Team Chilidog!
    This thread has been far too quiet - where has everyone been? Ever since my first bike park experience and now looking forward to my first freeride clinic in October, I've been a bit obsessed with learning new skills, particularly with drops or trying to catch air. I built up a smallish drop (~1' or so tall) and worked on that today. Here's one shot I got with the self-timer. I wish I had it on video so I could see how it looked in the air (because it didn't seem like I went that far off the drop) but, today was my first attempt, so I decided to cut myself a little slack
    You go girl! We need more of this! Congrats for making your own stunt AND riding it!

I'll post some more pics once I finish going through them while I'm off the bike.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Don't worry, be happy!

Today's Pic or Story

I'm in the middle of IMBA ICP instructor training right now. That is a story unto itself. 3.5 days total, one more to go complete with written exam. Whew! Exciting, fun, amazing and exhausting. It was pretty exciting to teach a complex skill with success to the other instructor trainees.

Moderator Moderator
    Enjoying the reports!

Just returned from 3 nights camping at Brighton State Park (highly recommended) with the new dog, and rode Kingdom Trails one day. "Keeper" slept really good that night. The bike tow leash (yellow thing in 2nd pic) worked great, except for on the narrow bridges, where we walked instead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Pic or Story-p9060011.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-p9060007.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-p1020502.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-p1020439-1024x768-.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-p1020487-1024x768-.jpg  

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    I'm in the middle of IMBA ICP instructor training right now. That is a story unto itself. 3.5 days total, one more to go complete with written exam. Whew! Exciting, fun, amazing and exhausting. It was pretty exciting to teach a complex skill with success to the other instructor trainees.
    Congratulations, that's awesome! Please share more about your experience.

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Enjoying the reports!

Just returned from 3 nights camping at Brighton State Park (highly recommended) with the new dog, and rode Kingdom Trails one day. "Keeper" slept really good that night. The bike tow leash (yellow thing in 2nd pic) worked great, except for on the narrow bridges, where we walked instead.
    Looks like your new friend enjoyed the adventure, too! Looks like fun

mtbr member

Flagstaff Two Weeks ago plus some night ride shots

First couple of pics. First ever race in Flagstaff a couple of weeks ago. Next couple is our Friday night MTB ride. I really enjoy the night rides now that I have a good lightToday's Pic or Story-1269906_10151615097404157_666433979_o.jpgToday's Pic or Story-5219405133b38.preview-620.jpgToday's Pic or Story-1148969_10151669642429340_1295160439_n.jpgToday's Pic or Story-1149020_10151669642684340_1257763812_n.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Nice!

Don't worry, be happy!
    Have to share this pic. I have been eyeing this roll down for a long time. It used to be a big gap jump and it was rebuilt a few years ago eliminating the gap. I always ride by it thinking, "I should come up here with the full face, next time, blah blah..." Sat I went riding with a bunch of guys and just followed them down. Let's hear it for not overthinking! Did it twice as we needed the photo.

This was super awesome for me as it underscored the " just do, don't think" aspect of riding.

Dudette
    Have to share this pic. I have been eyeing this roll down for a long time. It used to be a big gap jump and it was rebuilt a few years ago eliminating the gap. I always ride by it thinking, "I should come up here with the full face, next time, blah blah..." Sat I went riding with a bunch of guys and just followed them down. Let's hear it for not overthinking! Did it twice as we needed the photo.

This was super awesome for me as it underscored the " just do, don't think" aspect of riding.

Awesome pic! Congratulations on not overthinking - it's something I need to do less of myself. I think.
    MTB4Her.com

Team Chilidog!
    Congrats Formica! Great pic. Feels awesome to do that.

I need to do more doing and less thinking myself.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kinsler View Post
    So old, but funny story about Hawaii's rain. About 2 years ago I was riding home from work- about a 13 mile ride one way and it starts pouring with about 4-5 miles home. So after about 5 minutes of getting drenched I'm getting pretty cold (I know- it's Hawaii) and then the thunder and lightening starts. This is actually a pretty rare event in Hawaii... So I pick up the pace only to discover my power is out. Unfortunately for me I used a key pad to get in through the garage. After about 30 minutes of avoiding sideways rain and sitting out the worst lightening storm in my 5 years on the island, I relent and call a locksmith. But the roads are flooded and he's stuck in rush hour traffic. Finally after 2 hours huddled on my porch the power comes back on beating the locksmith.... moral of the story- always carry a house key!

Haha, just now read this story, great images. Yes, very rare to have electrical storms here.

mtbr member

Awesome pic, really shows the steepness. Text book technique too. Great on not over-thinking. Just plain great picture.

mtbr member
    So good to have this thread alive again.

Dudette

Getting one in before the snow

Decided to take Stripes's suggestion and try jumping with my old 26"hardtail. I've only recently started to take flight using my Trance X 29er. Love, love, love that bike. But, I was curious to see the difference between a 26" hardtail and a FS 29er for jumping. I know a better comparison would be using a FS 26" bike, but I no longer have one, so the hardtail it was.

I'll admit, I was nervous. I've never jumped with my that bike before and the lack of rear suspension, smaller wheels and steeper HT angle wasn't exactly confidence-inspiring. Was it going to feel harsh? Would I bounce around a lot on the landing?

I rolled the jump a few times to reacquaint myself to the smaller bike before I started picking up speed to try to get some air. Trepidation turned to surprise as I managed to not only get some air, but land upright, on both wheels. I was pleased with my attempts and glad to get some riding in before the snow started falling here. I'm thinking I need to visit an indoor park this winter - too much fun!

MTB4Her.com

Moderator Moderator
    I missed that post somehow - awesomeness squared!

Decided to take Stripes's suggestion and try jumping with my old 26"hardtail.
    Looks great!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast