Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    The Other F Word
    Jan 2005

The new LadyBike

Today's Pic or Story-imag0951_burst002_cover.jpg

Third ride on my as-yet-unnamed bike. The scene: Syncline in the Columbia River Gorge. I had one of those horrible days where it felt like I was learning to ride a bike all over again, but it was a gorgeous day & I was with friends, so who really cares.

I am eating in at least 75% of all photos taken of me, and this one is no exception. (Fave trail snack: carrots.)

gabrielle
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

mtbr member
    Aloha, Nice!! Yay, riding season's return in many parts of the country.

Moderator Moderator
    So great to see green grass and a new bike - can't wait!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Weather is drying up here again so being as its a lovely day we took the camera n got some action shots for a change.

Dudette
    ^ Great shots! I took advantage of the gorgeous weather this weekend and got some riding in as well. Can't beat 80 in April after the winter we've had in upstate New York.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Pic or Story-image.jpg  

MTB4Her.com

Don't worry, be happy!
    Gab, is that a Feed Bag I see on your handlebars? I guess I won't make one for you now....

The Other F Word
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Gab, is that a Feed Bag I see on your handlebars? I guess I won't make one for you now....
    Yep! That's MBO guide swag from several years ago I can always use another...maybe a leftie.

mtbr member
    My cartoonish Saturday morning ride:

So on what will probably be one of the last "spring" rides this year, before it gets stupidly hot here in the El Paso, I was riding up the road into the local state park. Out of no where a coyote runs across the road. I kid you not, 5 seconds later a roadrunner darts across in the opposite direction. I'm pretty sure he would have said "beep, beep" had he not had breakfast dangling from his mouth.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ hahahaha Cool, didn't know the roadrunners were for real, but we do have coyotes here in VT. One grabbed a neighbor's mini-dachshund, but it lived.

mtbr member
    HAHA!! That is hilarious. I love those moments when I laugh to myself in my head...........

mtbr member
    Today's Pic or Story-image0101.jpg

Finally got to have an hour long ride around Mt Gretna. The day job has had me so worked up almost 70 hrs a week with hardly a chance to squeak out a 15 min roll around town. It felt so good 8 miles and a perfect evening...
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Don't worry, be happy!
    I am very stoked to be reconnecting up with some gals for rides. Out of my local bunch most gals have drifted away, become runners, soccer moms, whatever.... Anyway, finding new friends who want to go play. We had an impromptu get together the

other evening. The Balsamroot only look like this for about a week or two:
    " width="549">
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Pic or Story-img_1689.jpg  

The Other F Word
    Jan 2005
    +1 that is funny.

mtbr member
    Sweet! As my friend says, we all need more "T.I.T.S" - Time In The Saddle. My GF said I have more but hers will always be bigger.

mtbr member
    Yay for new riders.............

mtbr member
    Coolness
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielle View Post
    +1 that is funny.
    Gab and I need some post-worthy photos from this weekend. I did get to ride with my bbb (best biking bud) after a few years of it not happening since we live lots of hours apart. It's pretty easy to just get too busy and let life get in the way. So we made it happen and I did the 6 hour drive. We got in two great rides before the rains came in. We have been bike adventuring together since 2002 and somehow let a few years get in the way.... not going to happen again, is it??!!

Moderator Moderator
    The local trails (Millstone) opened and I took the dog for a nice ride. I went 6.85 miles plus sawed a few blowdowns, while he ran 9.2 (he has a GPS collar). Saw an owl trailside...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Pic or Story-southview-1024x768-.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-owl-fellowshipsmall-2-1024x767-.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2014

Lady Train

So many of my crash stories begin with, “while biking at Whistler” and “apparently, I had crazy eyes.” This story is no different, except that I can say both phrases in one sentence. So, here it begins; one summer while up at my favorite riding destination, Whistler Bike Park. I was riding with my friend Janine, when we happened across a crew of cats read the rest of the story here and see photos

Don't worry, be happy!
    Our new local riding group is really gathering momentum
    Today's Pic or Story-10271434_10152445402798685_5974701822854369127_o.jpg

Bike Shop Girl
    Apr 2004
    great photo!

Where is this located?
    Bike Shop Girl Empowering women in cycling

Don't worry, be happy!
    Top of Beacon Hill, Spokane.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/303630576452095/
    BikingBetty @bikingbettiesNW

mtbr member

First post here Yucky pic!

Hey Ladies. This is my first post so here goes. Here's my badly swollen knee that doesn't even look like a knee with 3 stitches from my crash. Been back to mtn biking a couple months now after a few years off. Got some new pedals and installed them myself. So I didn't tighten my shoe bolts on my cleats down tight enough. After 14 miles of rough riding I must have lost a bolt. This made my left foot be able to spin in my pedal but would not let me out of the pedal. Rocky section I come up on fast and decide to hike-a-bike. Put on the brakes and Boom, can't get out of the pedal and wipeout into gravel, rocks,sticks,leaves and junk. Pulled a stick out of the hole and a river of blood started. Got up and started walking and yelling for the hubby up ahead. He came and checked my shoe and tightened that one remaining bolt down like a brute. Got on the bike for 3 more miles of riding to the truck. With blood pouring down my leg into my shoe. I can't believe how mad I was, didn't even shed one tear but let out a few cuss words. I'm mad I didn't make him take a pic with it all nasty and blood everywhere though! LOL, it's a trophy now!

Moral of the story I won't ever try do fix anything on my bike again without making my hubby do it.

Today's Pic or Story-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ouch!Heal up!
    I learned to always carry/wear a bandana. Tie it around an injury so I don't bleed all over on the way out.

mtbr member
    That idea for the bandana is great! Thanks for the tip. Plus it would have kept the extra mud I got in it out from that last part of the ride. Doc had to scrub it all out and gave me a tetanus shot too. Thank goodness for the numbing shots he gave me first.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I suggest just having hubby check your work. Knowing how to fix most things on your own bike is a good things. I have my hubby check my bolts as my hand strength is non-existing. I can't tighten things very well.

Carrying a first aid kit in addition to a bandana is a good idea, too.

mtbr member
    Yeah I agree. I have zero hand strength too. When we first started biking years ago he got me in the living room and made me change my tubes out and do a couple easy things like that. I never ride without him though. He carries around a first aid kit but we didn't have a band-aid big enough for the hole. We put a smaller one over it at the time but it came off pretty quick with the blood running. He'll usually just change my tire if it gets flat (which is not that often) since it would take me so much longer and you are standing there hot and sweaty and the mosquitos are swarming.

mtbr member
    Bandana- takes up almost no room in the pack and is good for many things in addition to first aid. Mine gets used as a under-the-helmet layer in cool weather. Thin enough to fit comfortably under the helmet and yet surprisingly warm. In warm weather, dip it into a cool stream, put it around your neck and it provides instant cooling.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Ouch! I've had some hard lessons about tightness early on, but they were just derailleurs and such. Had a bear trap pedal to the shin once with a 3 stitch gash, that hurt bad enough without being speared...

One good recommendation I took when I was getting used to wrenching was to get a small torque wrench. There are some small handheld ones for bike work that don't cost much and then you know for sure its set to the factory torque. Never had a loose one since, almost 12 years later.

Shoe bolts are a bit odd to tighten the first time. Tighten, use a while, tighten again when the rubber squishes a little. Then they are a real pain to loosen once the corrosion sets in. Glad to hear that was all the injury from that, no collar bones and such. Live long, recover quickly
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Don't worry, be happy!
    mini torque wrench, great idea!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think we already have one actually. Hubby doesn't like me messing with his tools though, he's kinda crazy about that LOL. He absolutely loves messing with bikes and really it was dumb of me to do that because he would have done it but I was in a hurry. We were going to ride that day and I just slapped em on and didn't give it a 2nd thought until I was pulling the stick out of my leg. I don't really enjoy tuning bikes or doing much other than just riding, so I gladly let him do it. Thanks for the great tips! Going to definitely pickup a couple bandana's - plus they look cool !

Don't worry, be happy!

Today's Pic or Story

There's something about someone taking care of your bike for you, but truly every bike owner should be familiar with basics as someone else may not always be there to fix it for you.

Sent from my iPad - Stupid autocorrect!

mtbr member
    Today's Pic or Story-image0145.jpg

Today was the perfect day for some in-the-trees singletracking. I didn't have time for going to the bigger park(Mt Gretna) but Lancaster Central park was good enough for some solo trails. In fact I didn't give the park as much credit as it may be due because there were several trails that I didn't know existed even though I've been going there for almost 10 years. It's nice being surprised in a park 5 mi from home

Today's Pic or Story-image0148.jpg

Cute and breathable outfit worked nice until I found one trail was all lined with stingweed. Especially in the hike-bike sections Motivation to stay on top at all costs lol.

Today's Pic or Story-image0126.jpg
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    There's something about someone taking care of your bike for you, but truly every bike owner should be familiar with basics as someone else may not always be there to fix it for you.

Sent from my iPad - Stupid autocorrect!

Yeah, ah, as I said I can do the basic things needed. Except tighten things tight enough obviously, LOL. I would never go mtn biking without my husband though. We have always ridden together unless I'm sick and he goes with our friends. If he can't go I wouldn't go anyway. Call me old fashioned, and I would never consider going alone. I've road biked without him a couple times on local group rides but that's it. Not as fun if he's not there.

mtbr member
    Awesome how those hidden gems pop out on you. Love discovering something like that! Cool pics.

Quote Originally Posted by supersedona View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image0145.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	897651

Today was the perfect day for some in-the-trees singletracking. I didn't have time for going to the bigger park(Mt Gretna) but Lancaster Central park was good enough for some solo trails. In fact I didn't give the park as much credit as it may be due because there were several trails that I didn't know existed even though I've been going there for almost 10 years. It's nice being surprised in a park 5 mi from home

Name:	Image0148.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	897652

Cute and breathable outfit worked nice until I found one trail was all lined with stingweed. Especially in the hike-bike sections Motivation to stay on top at all costs lol.

Name:	Image0126.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	897655

Don't worry, be happy!
    Here are a couple from today. 16.5 miles, 4400'. All the climbs were forest roads, all the descents buff old school singletrack. I feel great. It's pretty early in the season to feel great on a big ride like that so I feel GREAT. Today's Pic or Story-img_1866.jpg

Five miles down singletrack and you come onto an unused fireroad - it ws graded in but never ever used. It's a grassy climb for another 6 miles out. No real views on this ride, but it's nice being out in the forest.
    Today's Pic or Story-img_1865.jpg

One of my biking buds. Hair is courtesy POC. She landed on her face second ride out this season and had to have facial surgery and her septum repaired but she did great; still getting her biking legs back but I would be too if I had been through that.
    Today's Pic or Story-img_1872.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Nice! That is a lot of climbing!

Two rides so far on the new bike. The first one was the day after a hailstorm, and it looked like a Cuisinart had gone through the tree canopy - shredded leaves everywhere.

Today's Pic or Story-php.jpg

Took the dog today, he matches.

Today's Pic or Story-p1040152-small-2-1024x768-1024x768-.jpg

Don't worry, be happy!
    Our womens' rides are an unqualified success. We are having lots of gals show up, from the racer chicks to newbies. There is nothing like watching the Lady Train snaking up the trail...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Pic or Story-10296058_10152504509268685_3686905576269283606_o.jpg  

Today's Pic or Story-10359232_10152504510183685_207620346574581925_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Today was so hot in my work truck/station. The thermometer inside said 97 deg F with almost no wind. If there was an up side it would be that my diet is a lot more effective when I have no urge to snack/eat heavy in the heat.

After getting out a little before sunset, trails were calling so I donned my suit(thank goodness for breathable fabrics instead of work jeans Central park along the Connestoga river. Close enough to be on the way home without being significantly out of the way. In the woods it was a chilly(as if) 77 deg. Wooo hooo

Today's Pic or Story-image0184.jpg
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Today's Pic or Story-image0190.jpg

I was tempted when work finished early to go jump in the lake(which has a nice sand beach on the one side), but stuck to riding Did 10.5 miles of fire road and rail trail, then went back up to the top of the mountain to the car. Fwew that was a hard hill, lol.

Then My S.O called and suggested I ride down to meet for dinner... another 10 miles away. If only that was every Friday
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Don't worry, be happy!
    I did two rides this weekend with my hubby. He's had a bum knee since ski season so this was a test. Yesterday's went well enough that we went back for more today, this time at our favorite techhy area. For all of you with SOs, you know some days are great and some are not. We had a great day... He took some pics of me ( aww)

Today's Pic or Story-img_1941-edit.jpg

Today's Pic or Story-img_1940-edit.jpg

Sorry this one isn't better. I had to adjust it a lot as it was in the shadow.

Today's Pic or Story-img_1937-edits2.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice shots I know how those knees can be. Only thing that keeps mine moving and relatively pain free is riding trails. Now to just get the carpal tunnel figured out...
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Moderator Moderator
    Great contributions, all. Cross post from the commuter forum...

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I pressed the commuter into shuttle service for my paddle today. 8 miles by river, 4 by road to return to the put in and car. This is in the Northeast Kingdom, north of Kingdom Trails by 20+ miles. Worked like a charm, the beaver dams were more challenging than the bike shuttle. I locked the bike at the downstream take out and then locked the kayak after the paddle until I returned with the car.
    Today's Pic or Story-bikeshuttle-1024x768-.jpgToday's Pic or Story-bikelocked-768x1024-.jpgToday's Pic or Story-kayaklocked.jpgToday's Pic or Story-beaverdam.jpgToday's Pic or Story-nulheganstart.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Great contributions, all. Cross post from the commuter forum...
    That's so cool! Yeah, love using my commuter (cargo bike) to do errands and stuff.

Moderator Moderator
    Me and Keeper at Millstone today...before the fawn. That turned out OK too. Also before I realized I locked 2 sets of keys in the car - DOH!

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/ToMjGpAj6eWGPq0JMty" width="500" height="375" frameBorder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Don't worry, be happy!
    Today's story: I learned to jump this weekend!!!
    I had pretty much given up, and made the decision to keep my wheels on the ground as all I've done over the years is hurt myself.

One of my new riding pals convinced me to go to the Sugar Showdown in Seattle this weekend, and I am so glad I did. It cracked me up to be a biker with 10+ years of riding but zero experience jumping but there you have it.

Kat Sweet and her coaches are amazing. I do really well in that kind of environment... breaking it into little pieces and building on progressions. Short version of the weekend is that I learned how to do drops and tabletops. I flew! I think the biggest drop I did was about 2.5'! Not huge but hey it's a drop! We also did tabletops, wall rides....Duthie park is set up as a learning park so it was the perfect place for an event like this.

A big pat on the back to me.... Lots of successes. I may not have been the raddest novice but I was off the ground successfully doing all new stuff to me... Whoo hoo. I wish there was a pic of me on the biggest drop I did but one hasn't surfaced yet.

I really need to learn how to add more "punch" to my preload but that's a different thread.

mtbr member
    Kudos! I've never gotten past 2.5 ft but with growing up with friends who were into crazy free-riding it made it almost mandatory to try a little. It's kinda funny though, now that age has caught up a bit I look back and think what we did was crazy. LOL The craziest one was the plank see-saw. If you ever get the chance they are a hoot but all in your mind
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Awesome ride last night with the hubby! No pic sorry. We had to haul butt to beat the rainstorm - got caught it in the last 30 mins of ride.
    It was the best I've felt on my bike since I started riding again (late last year). I did awesome and everything just clicked. I went WAY faster than my last few rides and my legs felt great the whole time. Not sure if it was just a nutrition thing or what but it was an amazing ride.
    We ran almost smack into a family of 4 skunks on the trail. Thank goodness they didn't spray us. Then a deer jumped out in front of me and scared me to death. Once the rain and thunder started I went even faster. Kind of scary because the trail got really dark.
    FUN STUFF though and can't wait to get out there again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Today's Pic or Story-nighttime.jpg

I hit the trails with five other ladies for my very first night ride on wednesday night - the coldest night of the year so far!
    Had a fantastic time trying to recognise trails in the dark that I have ridden hundreds of times before - so glad I wore my wooly gloves and longs!

Don't worry, be happy!
    So here are some pics from the Sugar Showdown

The littlest of the Three Little Pigs
    Today's Pic or Story-10502045_10154352261490080_2969749965827949392_n.jpg

First tabletop ever... now I have to work on how to get (more) air off these things.
    Today's Pic or Story-img_9047.jpg

I need to remember that this is FUN and not to be so fricken serious
    Today's Pic or Story-img_9143.jpg

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast