Thread: tire preference

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

tire preference

I posted under tire/wheel but wanted a female rider's perspective
    I weigh between 100-104
    riding xr400 559x18 ( stock on bike). Needing to replace my tires (nenegal frnt and slant 6 back)
    was thinking of minion 2.35 front and Ardent 2.25 back -
    what do you all think? Riding all mountain primarilly with steep climbs in this region
    Thanks

Team Chilidog!
    No idea where "this region" is. Please let us know You're also going to get a lot of answers, and I don't think any of them will match And it will depend if you're running tubes or tubeless, pressures (PSI), etc.

But, here's mine (riding in NorCal, both along the coast in the sand, to the rocks and soft over hardback locally, and the loam in the mountains):

It's dependent on your riding style, location, bike, etc. There's so much for personal preference. I ride a DH/AM tire in the front (Spesh Butcher SX 2.3), a trail/XC tire rear (Maxxis Ardent 2.25) on an AM bike, and Kenda Small Block 8s front and rear on my DJ (only ride that at the BMX track). I run tubeless on my AM bike because I run lower pressures (between 25-30psi. front and rear) and tubes on my DJ (I run higher pressures, 35-40psi front and rear)

I tend to be slow uphill, and not really care. I live for the downhills.

If I was riding or living in NC, I'm sure my tire choice would be different, or maybe not. There's a lot of clay/mud there, and that would probably impact my tire choice greatly.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thanks! this region is S. korea - basically rocky, loose over hard pack/ stairs - haven't ridden through the winter yet ...

Long/steep ups

I have a 2011 Pivot in XXS with fox fitRLC 100mm fork and DTSWISS rx400 wheels (559x18)
    main goal is to maintain control and traction on the steep downs which can be loose and rocky - but also ride up without feeling like i'm hauling a ton
    I was curious if the combination of tires I asked about made sense. I think I wanna give the minion a try for the front - unless I read a good reason as to why not... all review have been positive ... but really not so sure about my back tire pick...
    Thanks again

Team Chilidog!
    Actually, the Minion DHF 2.35 front and rear would be good for you. It measures small, so it's good for an XC bike, and even in the back, it's not a slow tire.

When it's really try, you could use the sticky compound one in the front, but they wear out fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'll give that a go, thanks - I have been reading how some riders are running that front and back -
    I also looked at Specialzed Butcher and that sounded great as well, but am weary of the size and wether or or not it would fit,
    thanks for the help

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by whac View Post
    I'll give that a go, thanks - I have been reading how some riders are running that front and back -
    I also looked at Specialzed Butcher and that sounded great as well, but am weary of the size and wether or or not it would fit,
    thanks for the help
    On shorter travel XC/trail bikes, I love the DHF 2.35 front and rear. The Butcher is a better tire IMO for longer travel AM/trail bikes, and I run that in the front right now.

The Butcher SX has nicer rubber compounds (softer side knobs, harder center knobs), where Maxxis tends to be either hard or soft all around. Maxxis might have changed that, but I hate the way they measure tires. I'm currently running an Ardent 2.25 in the rear (UST), so I might switch that to a Captain 2.2 rear (much lighter and still tubeless.

Here's how I'd break it down, considering Maxxis tires truly measurement is really small.

From smallest to largest:
    - Minion DHF 2.35 (I run this front and rear on XC bikes)
    - Butcher Control 2.3 (sometimes I run this in the back, but it's slow in the back) / DHF 2.5 with the EXO casing
    - Butcher SX 2.3 (this is what I run in the front on my AM bike)
    - Butcher DH 2.3 (wears fast much heavier) / Minion DHF 2.5
    - Butcher 2.5 / Minion 2.7 (I've run these on a DH bike)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Nice breakdown! Thanks for the info- really helpful.... Ordered the minions - hopefully they'll arrive by end of next week-
    Cheers
    M.