9 lives

A Technical University for Women

Cool event to learn about feature benefits, product information and then to test ride

Part of this is marketing but it's also about educating these women who work in the bike industry (but it would benefit anyone) and building the capacity and spreading information.

Where are all the Ladies? A Technical University Just for Women - Pinkbike
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Rad and awesome! Great to see more women in bikes!

mtbr member
    Cool article and event... Too bad at the bottom is the typical pinkbike teenage vitriol

Bored Carp
    It's a good event, but separate is not equal. Lots of work to do getting women to attend the events with the guys.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    As one who did 2 yrs in aircraft mechanic school with all crude guys, I can see that being sooo much nicer. There were so many times I wanted to throw in the towel and scream at how crude they could be toward girl mechs and a couple burned out from it. Not saying bike mech school would be as rough, but there is a certain relief to being able to focus. I made it but it was a constant battle for respect regardless of top academic scores. Given that was over 10 yrs ago, but attitudes can be slow to change.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Bored Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by supersedona View Post
    As one who did 2 yrs in aircraft mechanic school with all crude guys, I can see that being sooo much nicer. There were so many times I wanted to throw in the towel and scream at how crude they could be toward girl mechs and a couple burned out from it. Not saying bike mech school would be as rough, but there is a certain relief to being able to focus. I made it but it was a constant battle for respect regardless of top academic scores. Given that was over 10 yrs ago, but attitudes can be slow to change.

Exactly. Why should you have to deal with that in order to get an education? The answer isn't that you should have to leave and join an all women's group. We need to fix the reasons women don't feel welcome in the co-ed group.

The technical school mentioned in the first post isn't just a place where shop mechanics go to learn skills - versions of this program are often used to educate Product Managers (the people who choose what parts get spec'd on what bikes in a company's line up) and engineers on the components that will appear in your shop 2 years down the road. That is a place where decisions are made and where the real business of the bike industry is done. While the all-women's version looked like a lot of fun, it does nothing to address the core issue, which is that the majority of companies don't have women in decision maker or bike designer roles - from manufacturer all the way down to retailer - that is why they weren't attending.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.