Husband Stalker
    Jul 2012

Tall Women Unite!

maybe I'm alone in this, but I'm kind of on the tall side (six feet, two inches) and have T-rex short arms, a kind of large boob problem, and carny-small hands. As a result I'm constantly looking for a more comfortable setup, be it grips that won't start to slip off my wildcat bar when I'm charging a hill, a frame with enough stand over that doesn't have me kneeing myself in the chest trying to reach my handlebar, a jersey with bust room that doesn't leave the half-moon of lower-back skin hanging out there for sunburn, or even just bloody riding shorts.

any other ladies out there with similar problems? Any short ladies out there who can complain so I don't feel like the amazons have all the issues?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm 5'8", and still run into some tall girl issues, so you're not alone! My height is all in my legs, though, so I have a very short torso, but long arms (and long fingers... I cannot fit into womens full fingers gloves!). When I got fitted for my road bike, I had to accommodate my legs, so got an XL frame (57 I think), but had to go to a way shorter stem so I could reach the handlebars comfortably. Luckily I had a really awesome girl at the LBS fitting me, so it all worked out. Some of my short friends joke my bikes make theirs look child size, which makes me smile

finding jeans/pants/anything long legged has always been a life long issue for me. For some reason most clothes makers think if your legs are long, you're also big around...

Rides with Scissors
    Quote Originally Posted by PiBaker View Post
    maybe I'm alone in this, but I'm kind of on the tall side (six feet, two inches) and have T-rex short arms, a kind of large boob problem, and carny-small hands. As a result I'm constantly looking for a more comfortable setup, be it grips that won't start to slip off my wildcat bar when I'm charging a hill, a frame with enough stand over that doesn't have me kneeing myself in the chest trying to reach my handlebar, a jersey with bust room that doesn't leave the half-moon of lower-back skin hanging out there for sunburn, or even just bloody riding shorts.

any other ladies out there with similar problems? Any short ladies out there who can complain so I don't feel like the amazons have all the issues?
    ~6' here. Ended up going custom bike-wise to finally get one that FITS, once I knew the sizing/geometry to look for, I bought a FS. I have the same shirt issue length-wise, though not boob-wise. I'd suggest checking out "Free-Ride" style of jerseys. They tend to run longer than typical women's jerseys. My current favorites are by Maloja and Sombrio (Mtbr Partner announcement up near top of the page has 50% at HucknRoll <-- carries a lot of gear). Dakine also has some jerseys that run long.
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by PiBaker View Post

Even at 5'8" I have all the same issues. Gave up on jerseys because of tightness at the boobs. Continue to find it odd I could be so tall for a female, yet struggle with brake lever reach on my hands (at same time need a womens XL glove for bikes or golf from long fingers) And don't even get me started on bike wear, swimwear or triathlon wear with built in "bras".
    Last edited by kimikaw; 07-09-2012 at 07:05 PM.
    My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Instagram, Twitter you'll find me as beerbikegirl

Bike Shop Girl
    Apr 2004
    5'10 with the same issues other than large boobs!

bike fit = I run "guys" bikes normally but have found some womens road bikes that really fit well.
    shoes suck to find, size 10 and no one has them in stock or a good variety of them either.
    Bike Shop Girl Empowering women in cycling

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsbars View Post
    5'10 with the same issues other than large boobs!

bike fit = I run "guys" bikes normally but have found some womens road bikes that really fit well.
    shoes suck to find, size 10 and no one has them in stock or a good variety of them either.
    I have shoe issue, too! Bike shoes or just shoes in general!

mtbr member
    My gf is tall (5'9") and has a lot of these same issues. Especially with the gloves, luckily she likes half-finger gloves.

She rides a men's medium bike and was a lot more comfortable after I fit her properly. Still rides with the bars really high (I'm 6'9" and my bars are lower than hers) but it doesnt slow her down so other than aesthetics, it's not a big deal. She loves the Ergon grips too, in the small size, couldnt stand anything else really.

When you're saying grips starting to slip off the bar, do you mean grips that are easier to hold on or that the grips literally are coming off the bar? If yes to the latter, try some hairspray on the bar under the grips, or just get lock-ons.

mtbr member
    I'm 6', with orangutan arms. I wear guys stuff, both baggies and free ride style jerseys, big enough in chest but they taper so you don't have extra fabric floating every which way. Shoes are harder, I'm an 11N and finally found a pair of Maavic Alpines that worked perfectly. I swear by a Freya sports bra, it keeps the bounce under excellent control!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm 5'9" and I'm all legs and arms (and fingers!) I had to buy men's gloves because the fingers in the women's weren't long enough. I'm also thinking about getting a jersey or pants/shorts for riding and I'm wondering if I should shop in the men's dept. for those too. I'm not real busty so I don't have a problem fitting into shirts, but I find that a lot of girls shirts still feel too clingy or too short

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeycapt27 View Post
    I'm 5'9" and I'm all legs and arms (and fingers!) I had to buy men's gloves because the fingers in the women's weren't long enough. I'm also thinking about getting a jersey or pants/shorts for riding and I'm wondering if I should shop in the men's dept. for those too. I'm not real busty so I don't have a problem fitting into shirts, but I find that a lot of girls shirts still feel too clingy or too short
    I sound about the same as you build wise, and I still wear womens clothing (except gloves!). I tend to wear size large jerseys (small boobies here), and have good luck with length, though sometimes when I put on one of my boyfriend's I do see how it is a bit longer and looser.

I have a medium Pearl Izumi jersey that I really like the looks of, but it's skin tight on me. It rides up in the back. Makes me sad, as I really like the color, but the fit is terrible. I've worn it on my road bike once, and it was a bit better... I should probably just sell it. However, large jerseys in that brand fit me perfectly. It's really weird how big of a jump it is from a medium to a large!

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    The hard thing is finding a decent pair of tights that arent too short, or too wide in the waist.