Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sun, daffodils and slush

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  verslowrdr 
#1 ·
Oh, thank goodness.

1. my daffodils are sprouting, the 100 bulbs I planted might actually pay off.
2. the weather.com widget is promising sun and daytime temps in the high 40s for the next two weeks.
3. the huge piles of snow surrounding my driveway are looking a bit less imposing than they have of late.

Trail season is just around the corner and down the road (in Moab).

Ok, snowbunnies, has your spring started yet?

#2 ·
chuky said:
...Ok, snowbunnies, has your spring started yet?
Yup. I've been skate-skiing in a t-shirt a couple times already, escaped to a warmer area 100 miles south of us this weekend to get some road miles in, and I saw the first violet green swallows over our house this morning (they'll come and go with the weather for a month or two before staying to build nests). LOVE.IT.

#4 ·
After four days on the mountain, two of which were epic powder days, I'm not quite ready for spring to begin. However I am tired of shoveling the driveway and the path to the hot tub (thank god for lots of strong men in the ski lease!).

It's 42 is Truckee, CA today. We can't see anything but snow on the ground but the skies are clear. I'm ready to head home and get back on the bike.

#5 ·
chuky said:
my daffodils are sprouting, the 100 bulbs I planted might actually pay off.
I loooove daffodils. I planted about 50 last September, but I'm the kiss of death when it comes to flowers, so I'll be happy if any at all sprout.

chucky said:
Trail season is just around the corner and down the road (in Moab).
True dat. :)

chuky said:
Ok, snowbunnies, has your spring started yet?
Nope, not officially, but I did catch two raccoons doin' it up a tree outside my bedroom window a week or so ago, so it can't be long now. :lol: Vermin in action always crack me up.

What a stupidly long winter. Glad we're finally on the home stretch.

#7 ·
It's getting warmer here in Wyoming, but there is still tons of snow and lots more skiing to be had! I saw a snowbiker while I was xc skiing today.... too bad I don't have a fat-tire bike. I guess I will have to wait for a trip to the desert in a month or so before I get off the trainer.

#9 ·
I don’t live where it is snowy but I did go up the hill for a little snowboarding on Sunday. Awesome conditions!

Rode for a bout 2 hours this morning, about 70 degrees round these parts today. Absolutely gorgeous weather. Birds a singin’, dogs layin’ in the sun, perfect day to ride.

SGSGirl, love the thong, tha thong, thong, thong in the last pic. Red too! Rock on. Great pics, looks like you were having a great time.

#11 ·
SGSGirl said:
Not to rub it in
I guess I didn't hear anyone complaining...

...the change if seasons is pretty fun, I don't mind winter, and after years of 70-degree weather, am excited to be excited about my daffodils.

:)

C

#14 ·
Newt pr0n in the Women's Lounge! Lol!!!!!

Yesterday I skiied in a t-shirt and no gloves just fine, then had a ladybug in the house last night (much to BabyCake's delight) and moths on the window. I could probably do some riding down by my house but the mud factor is still pretty high* and winter debris on the road is a recipe for flats. Close though... very close....

* Unlike other types, eastern Washington spring mud is totally un-ridable. It has an amazing affinity for building up on tires, shoes, etc. which quickly explodes into full-blown 'mud elephantiasis' where the tires no longer clear the forks/frame and stop rotating completely.

#18 ·
SuperKat said:
Is nothing sacred?
I know you're just being funny, but it's still incredibly amusing to find this posted in a section of the board that regularly revisits mud, scars, relationships, a hot biker boy gallery, 'monkey butt', cutting the string off tampons, diva/keeper cups (sometimes trimming the stem off those too), and whether to hedge trim or wax-n-rip.

We're giving a whole new definition to 'lady-like'- lol!

#21 ·
verslowrdr said:
* Unlike other types, eastern Washington spring mud is totally un-ridable. It has an amazing affinity for building up on tires, shoes, etc. which quickly explodes into full-blown 'mud elephantiasis' where the tires no longer clear the forks/frame and stop rotating completely.
Does it also dry to harder than concrete proportions? If so, it may be a distant relative to IN clay-mud. It's slicker than snot, gets thicker on tires with each revolution, and if allowed to dry... becomes impossible to remove (unless there's a way to soak the bike in a large tub)? It's even more fun in some southern sections of the state where it takes on a red hue, if allowed to dry, it'll leave a permanent reddish 'stain' on the frame.

Fortunately, not all mud is like that here...

#22 ·
msrutzie said:
What do you think these two California Newts are up to? ;) Got this shot this morning on my trail run.
LOL!!

Well according to The Weather Channel, it's 39 here. HA! :skep: my fridge rump it is!! Plus we had snow all night Friday and into Saturday morning; about 5 inches on the ground when I got to work just before 7am. Of course this was followed by rain mixed with bits of snow all day Saturday. Which has pretty much melted leaving the ground in mushy, muddy, half-frozen puddles. :( However, it's supposed to be around 50 on Monday.

#23 ·
Yup- it's the reddish stuff that hardens into bricks and sometimes requires a chisel to remove when dry.

The good news is that with our 40+mph wind yesterday and sun, it dried out to rock hard doubletrack very quickly- hence my ride. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.